Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 11:29 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times

Advertisements

That's the process of editing. If you think of a movie they take several takes of every scene. Cutting out the boring stuff is part of the process. You need to visualize the clips and determine how to put them together. When you pull clips down into your timeline in the editor you dont have to save them as files or delete the original. In some ways it's easier to work off one long clip. You just cut and paste interesting segments onto the timeline. Then you add your transitions.

I like the film dissolve, fade to black and fade to white as transitions. I personally don't like quick cuts or quick transitions so my scenes are at least 15 seconds long and I put transitions of 2 to 3 seconds between scenes.

You could add surf rock as a music track. You could also add narration like in the surfing documentaries like endless summer. You can also add location shots, like a panorama shot of the beach, a sunset, the parking lot, etc., or even still pics between the scenes.

Finally do your titles.

The reason I like using Adobe Premiere Pro with Adobe Audition is I can edit my audio right on the time line rather than in a separate audio editor. I can fade the audio in or out where I want to, change the volume, add effects like additional echo to music, etc. I can also fix background audio by removing mic hits, etc.

It takes a while to create a work flow that saves you time, and lets you approach editing in a methodical fashion. To me editing a photo takes about 10 minutes, editing a 4 minute video can take a day.

In 2000 I took a trip to Reno with my wife by Amtrack. I brought my new video camera and shot over an hour of video. In 2014 I decided to edit it and came up with a three minute segment of a sunset seen from our cabin window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neQWIPTzt0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It is PAINFUL. I have threatened DH with dire consequences if he does not start doing short bursts of filming instead of the whole "whatever." I understand him wanting to film say the whole time the person is wake boarding, waiting for something to happen, a good trick, a good wipe out.... But most of it is people JUST boarding (for example).

I started going through just removing portions and then saving it (deleting the original file), so now they like a minute of various clips (from the same video)..... but then I stopped because what am I going to do with that? I didn't add transitions or anything...

Is there a better way to trim down your vacation footage? I think I should have save each of the clips as separate files or thing?

Any advice?

Maybe take video of each person, clip it down and merge all the files with the one person?

It's so much, it takes all the fun out of it.

Luckily today I just have to do normal photo edits of pics I took of my friend's kids over the weekend.

Last edited by bobspez; 11-27-2017 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 11:37 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Ok, so the process just sucks, no getting around that.

I delete the originals because they take up so much space!! Maybe I shouldn't worry about that, I have them on a 5TB external and it also backs up my computer. I had to move a bunch of stuff to like photos because my computer was losing space, so now I need another to back up the external.

I DO like your idea about just pulling the interesting parts from the original to make a "movie". Maybe I'll change to that.

I don't mess with audio too much, I know you can do quite a bit with this program, probably more then I am interested in.

I made on vid on the GoPros software (sucks!!) and muted out the audio and added music.

Isn't it amazing the stuff we can do? Didn't even HAVE computers when I was a kid!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-27-2017, 11:50 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
I use a 500GB pocket usb drive to store my video. I also designate it as the target drive when I render video. I learned video editing at a local public access CATV station back in the 90's. They gave free classes and loaned us cameras, mics, a tripod and 3/4" video tape recorders to film anything we wanted. Then we were trained to use the 3/4" tape A-B editors to edit our footage and they ran our video on Public Access cable TV. I did a video of my cat on my porch and added an acoustic guitar blues as the sound track. It was great fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ok, so the process just sucks, no getting around that.

I delete the originals because they take up so much space!! Maybe I shouldn't worry about that, I have them on a 5TB external and it also backs up my computer. I had to move a bunch of stuff to like photos because my computer was losing space, so now I need another to back up the external.

I DO like your idea about just pulling the interesting parts from the original to make a "movie". Maybe I'll change to that.

I don't mess with audio too much, I know you can do quite a bit with this program, probably more then I am interested in.

I made on vid on the GoPros software (sucks!!) and muted out the audio and added music.

Isn't it amazing the stuff we can do? Didn't even HAVE computers when I was a kid!!

Old 12-05-2017, 05:03 AM

24 posts, read 18,337 times
Go for OpenShot software which is totally free and easy to use. Moreover it can be installed on Windows, MAC and Linux. You can also consider VSDC for small video editing work, very easy to use.

Old 06-27-2021, 04:37 PM

1,808 posts, read 3,189,800 times
In 2021, has anything new popped up thats worth recommending?

I recently added a gopro to my camera collection. I've done photography for years, but new to video editing. I don't mind spending money, but want to avoid subscription software as I don't think I will use it enough. This is mostly for recreation.

DaVinci Resolve(free version) and Adobe Premier Elements are probably what I am currently leaning towards.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:55 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Glad it worked out for you. Editing is a time consuming process. It can take 6 weeks to 6 months to edit a 90 - 120 minute Hollywood movie.
Yes, and the reason for that is money.

Once the script for a screen-play or tele-play is polished and finalized, they create a shooting script.

The shooting script is every scene for one particular location, and the scenes may be shot out of order for any number of valid reasons.

So, you'd go to a desert and shoot all the scenes that take place in the desert, but not necessarily in the order of the final script. Again, the reason is money. You pay for the permits, extras, locals, sets, craftspeople (the caterers and vendors that serve drinks and snacks on the set), security, paramedics, etc etc.

When you're done, you pack up and move to the next location and shoot all the scenes that take place there, and so on until you finish shooting.

If you shot scenes based on the final script, you'd blow your budget within 3-7 days just moving around and paying for permits.

Once you finish shooting, the cast and crew are released and no longer on the payroll.

Then you edit everything based on the final script and if you're wanting an original score as soundtrack, that person will be viewing it with you, or you'll be thinking of what music you want to accompany the scenes.

Your Foley people will be looking at it too along with the sound editors. In spite of your best efforts to mike the set, you probably wouldn't capture snow crunching underfoot as a character walks through a snowy wilderness. That's where your Foley people come in and make all the sound effects.

Sometimes things look good on paper, but on screen they don't pan out (no pun intended) so you might move some scenes around to create or reinforce continuity, or for dramatic effect.

So, yeah, it takes a while to edit and if the ass-clowns from the movie studio or network are on your back micro-managing it might take even longer (and they might even muck it up.)

Old 07-18-2021, 03:10 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
In 2021, has anything new popped up thats worth recommending?

I recently added a gopro to my camera collection. I've done photography for years, but new to video editing. I don't mind spending money, but want to avoid subscription software as I don't think I will use it enough. This is mostly for recreation.

DaVinci Resolve(free version) and Adobe Premier Elements are probably what I am currently leaning towards.
Using Davinci Resolve. Bought the paid version because I got the free speed editor. It also renders about 10x faster. Worth the $295 to me.

There's also ton of free training material online.

Old 03-13-2022, 07:35 AM

59 posts, read 34,740 times
For video editing I use Adobe Premier. For me, it turned out to be the optimal program in terms of functionality and management. Before that, I used Vegas Pro, but it often hung and slowed down. Once I even had to restore video files due to a critical failure. I was able to recover files using Video Recovery, but after that I stopped using Vegas Pro.

Last edited by Larenger; 03-13-2022 at 07:46 AM..

Old 05-02-2022, 10:46 AM

12 posts, read 7,522 times
Back in the days (around 2010), I used Vegas Pro. I was happy with it. But nowadays, I turned to Davinci Resolve and it is super good. The free version is enough for me (and for most of the people who doesn't need professional tools.
I also use KDEnLive, I love it and its fully free; and iMovie, which it is great for simple edits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography