Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2018, 02:16 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of buying a dolly or slider possibly, but everyone seems to tell me slider and most other filmmakers seem to have one compared to a dolly.

Now the obvious pro of a slider is it's quicker to set up, where as a dolly, if you are just one a man crew, you would have to make more trips back and forth to the car, to get the equipment out.

However, the thing that worries me about a slider is that you can only do straight movement, and do not have the option of curving. Or if you want to get a curved slider, then you can only do curved movement, and do not have the option of straight. Where as a flex dolly track, can bend and made the shapes you want.

Another thing that worries me about the slider is that it's much more difficult for the track to not be seen in the shot, compared to a dolly, especially when doing push ins or push outs.

So it seems that the slider has one advantage, set up time where as the dolly has two advantages, not seeing the track, and being able to make track shapes, rather than having to settle for curved or straight only.

So what do you think? Are sliders more popular for more reasons that I am not seeing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography