Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,815 times

Advertisements

Hello folks! My son gave me his JVC HD 7U and I have no idea how to download video from its internal hard drive. It has a port for an SD card, but that only records in SD. Anyone know how to extract video from the hard drive on one of these? Thanks!

EvanLG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 01:00 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Here is the manual from the Manufacturer:

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/0...T1734-001A.pdf

Old 09-03-2019, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,815 times
Thanks Poncho. Now to study!

EvanLG

Old 09-06-2019, 06:06 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times
I don’t know about that specific camera but I doubt the SD card only records in SD. Also, there should be a micro or mini usb cable that connects to the computer to transfer the files to your pc. The SD card pops out and you use an sd card reader to plug into the computer. It’s pretty much the same with all cameras.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I don’t know about that specific camera but I doubt the SD card only records in SD. Also, there should be a micro or mini usb cable that connects to the computer to transfer the files to your pc. The SD card pops out and you use an sd card reader to plug into the computer. It’s pretty much the same with all cameras.
The JVC GZ-HD7 Everio Camcorder records on an internal 60GB Hard Disk Drive in the 1920x1080 video format. It has a variety of outputs...

Old 09-08-2019, 06:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I don’t know about that specific camera but I doubt the SD card only records in SD.

This is older camcorder, you would be lucky if it records a SD format like DVD compliant MPEG2 onto the SD card. The SD card in these older camcorders was used mostly for still images and for some models very low quality video. At the time they probably didn't even have SD card fast enough for HD. In fact that is the reason for the drive because the only other option would be tape.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is older camcorder, you would be lucky if it records a SD format like DVD compliant MPEG2 onto the SD card. The SD card in these older camcorders was used mostly for still images and for some models very low quality video. At the time they probably didn't even have SD card fast enough for HD. In fact that is the reason for the drive because the only other option would be tape.
The JVC Everio GZ-HD7U camera records video in MPEG2 format compliant with SD-VIDEO format.

It shoots video in 1920x1080i. Which is not bad...

What is "SD format"....

Old 09-11-2019, 03:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The JVC Everio GZ-HD7U camera records video in MPEG2 format compliant with SD-VIDEO format.

It shoots video in 1920x1080i. Which is not bad...

What is "SD format"....

SD is in relation to the resolution. A camcorder that shoots in 720*480 is referred to as SD or standard definition. Common video formats they use are DV or MPEG2. DV is higher quality video but it's not DVD compliant and would need to be converted to MPEG2 for DVD playback. If you are going to make a DVD compliant video it needs to be 720*480 encoded using MPEG2. Note there are some lower resolutions and you can even use MPEG1 for what they refer to as a VCD. There is other specs like maximum bitrate, type of audio etc. Typical bitrate is 6 to 8 Mbps

A HD camcorder like this with a SD card (no relation to SD camcorder) *may* be able to record to the card using SD resolution video(no relation to SD card) because the bitrate is sufficiently low enough it can transfer the data fast enough. My prosumer DV camcorder could record to card but it was some real low resolution, low frame rate, low quality video using MJPEG. Pretty much a useless feature, why bother.

1920*1080 is HD resolution, it would need to be scaled to 720*480 to be DVD compliant. If you want to author this as HD you need to use Blu-ray. MPEG2 is Blu-ray compliant but it is not a very efficient codec and only included in the spec for backward compatibility. It is what it is though, I would imagine the reason they were not using more modern codec was the processing factor. This is one of those camcorders that fits in the transition period, in the same boat as DV camcorders that record to 8mm tape before mini DV came along. If you were to copy these files to DVD disc as data files you probably only get about 15 minutes on it and if you played it back from disc in say a computer minimally that sucker is going to be whirring like a top.

In any event the primary function of the SD cards on these older camcorders is for still images. From my experience they are terrible at still photos and vice versa for old cameras that had video capabilities so pretty much another useless feature. About the only benefit I've seen for it was a spare card for something else. Technology has of course changed and the lines are completely blurred now between camcorder and camera.

Last edited by thecoalman; 09-11-2019 at 03:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography