Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 11:41 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
The grits line is a better indicator nowdays. That would put the line in central Cape Girardeau County in Missouri
What you said

Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 PM

31 posts, read 53,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Maryland is also south of DC and is just as southern feeling than Northern Virginia..........
Northern Virginia does not feel southern at all. in my 26 years have yet to meet one person living here who claimed to be a southerner. Been around here my whole life pretty much and haven't heard one person in Fairfax, Loudoun, Arlington, Alexandria claim this, ever. With the exception of some people Ive known that moved here from other area's like Jackson, or Memphis ect. I remember back in high school (Ashburn/Leesburg) being associated with the south was like considered the worst thing ever south=retarded, slow, inbred. The southern sounding folks were the gumps and bamma's. When I first moved to NOVA my accent (my twang) must have been pretty thick I don't know how many times I have been asked if I was from Tennessee. Coming from SW VA to tha D.M.V was a pretty big culture shock.

Honestly when It comes to the south, I'm not sure know where to draw the modern boundaries exactly. I will say IMO that the counties/states that are in the Black-Belt I think cant really be disputed, it was, and still is very much the south. Black Belt (U.S. region) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as states whole, eh, whatever.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I misquoted, sorry, I meant, that barbeque no longer reigns in JUST the south anymore...of course it's still popular in the south. Sorry about that guys.
But if your BBQ is served with at least 2 hush puppies, a side of cornbread, or hash.....You could be in the south.. maybe

Old 03-27-2012, 12:19 AM

581 posts, read 969,401 times
Grits line?
Folks here in PA eat grits all the time, though not as much as back in Virginia and Maryland.

I always cringe at the comparison of MD to noVA. noVA is to Virginia what Montgomery County is to Maryland, a bubble of super-rude super-liberals that everyone else in the state dislikes. noVA and the DC area of Maryland need to leave and join DC or something so the states can coherent identities again.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
I always cringe at the comparison of MD to noVA. noVA is to Virginia what Montgomery County is to Maryland, a bubble of super-rude super-liberals that everyone else in the state dislikes. noVA and the DC area of Maryland need to leave and join DC or something so the states can coherent identities again.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:09 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknew? View Post
Honestly when It comes to the south, I'm not sure know where to draw the modern boundaries exactly. I will say IMO that the counties/states that are in the Black-Belt I think cant really be disputed, it was, and still is very much the south. Black Belt (U.S. region) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as states whole, eh, whatever.
Since when did black equal southern? You do realize that New York city has the highest percentage of black residents in a single state right?

How about Detroit? Chicago?

Black doesn't mean southern. I know this may not be what you mean, but I see this argument used a lot. There are many places in the south that are majority white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknew? View Post
But if your BBQ is served with at least 2 hush puppies, a side of cornbread, or hash.....You could be in the south.. maybe
Nah, you can get all that and a bag of chips (literally!) in upstate NY. I read somebody talk about grits, I grew up on grits. Home made grits! In upstate NY.

In fact I never knew they were supposed to be southern.

Road side barbeque chicken is another thing you can also find in the north.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Since when did black equal southern? You do realize that New York city has the highest percentage of black residents in a single state right?

How about Detroit? Chicago?

Black doesn't mean southern. I know this may not be what you mean, but I see this argument used a lot. There are many places in the south that are majority white.

Nah, you can get all that and a bag of chips (literally!) in upstate NY. I read somebody talk about grits, I grew up on grits. Home made grits! In upstate NY.

In fact I never knew they were supposed to be southern.

Road side barbeque chicken is another thing you can also find in the north.
Yeah its pretty common in TN, NC, SC, southern VA to get hush puppies with your q. I have a hard time finding bbq places with them in nova. But if they are popular in NY then Idk.. who knows how to define southern bbq anymore.. everything is everywhere I guess southern q is obsolete. Actually hush puppies were a native American thing of the south, thought id give em credit no one ever seems to. And that's not exactly what I meant by the black belt I'm just going to drop that...

Last edited by whoknew?; 03-27-2012 at 04:35 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 PM

18 posts, read 29,914 times
What makes BBQ southern? Are you kidding? It has to do with how the meat is prepared and cooked. The sauce used and the cut of meat etc... You should try Virginia BBQ in nova or Red Hot&Blue or Memphis BBQ in Arlington(nova). Dixie Bones is also available up yonder in nova serving southern BBQ. Hush Puppies with BBQ no. Hush Puppies with seafood yes. Cole Slaw, Tater Salad and Corn Bread with BBQ yes. The south isn't called the grits belt for nothing ya know??? Grits are a genuine southern staple just like BBQ and pecan pie.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 PM

581 posts, read 969,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstate View Post
What makes BBQ southern? Are you kidding? It has to do with how the meat is prepared and cooked. The sauce used and the cut of meat etc... You should try Virginia BBQ in nova or Red Hot&Blue or Memphis BBQ in Arlington(nova). Dixie Bones is also available up yonder in nova serving southern BBQ. Hush Puppies with BBQ no. Hush Puppies with seafood yes. Cole Slaw, Tater Salad and Corn Bread with BBQ yes. The south isn't called the grits belt for nothing ya know??? Grits are a genuine southern staple just like BBQ and pecan pie.
Stop talking about all that, i'm in PA now and it's months before I can travel back to MD and eat some real food.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Stop talking about all that, i'm in PA now and it's months before I can travel back to MD and eat some real food.
Where in MD are you from, out of curiousity? I know you can find southern culture in a few parts of the state...just wondering where...the only southern areas in Maryland I know of are the Chesapeake Bay area and possibly the southeast shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia