Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 10:53 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,435,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Historically, southern without a doubt. Today, kind of the transition zone between southern and Mid-Atlantic. No area north of Richmond honestly feels like the "good ol' South" I know, but I'm also coming from North Carolina. Major metros of Virginia are pretty transplant saturated, and it's a popular opinion on CD that NOVA isn't southern these days. Also, some folks don't even call the Hampton Roads southern and Richmond to a lesser extent. Roanoke and Bristol are more so Appalachian, but I'd still call them southern. I don't even know what I'd call Harrisonburg and Winchester. Lynchburg is pretty southern, and also historically Bible Belt-ish (Jerry Falwell, Liberty University). I'd call Richmond the last southern city if you're heading up I-95. Older tobacco/textile towns like Martinsville, Danville, South Boston, South Hill, and Emporia along the NC border are extremely southern.

Overall, south of I-64 definitely feels like the South IMO. However, north of 64 feels more like a transition zone between southern and Mid-Atlantic. Once you hit DC and Maryland, you're out of the South for good.
This is right on! I live down in south now, but grew up in the south in Tidewater! For sure, south.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:21 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,972 times
Southern !!

Old 12-03-2015, 08:57 AM

223 posts, read 278,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Obviously I'd had stop in towns along the way and formed my own opinion of what I thought! It was just my opinion on the topic. Way to be a smartass by the way!
I think NOVA is north eastern, but i also think that virginia's southern is more dominant than its northern culture. I understand why maryland and delaware are debated on, since they are both in very urban places and have lost some of their southern culture, but virginia hasn't lost it yet. Whenever I go to virginia, I am still used to hearing a nice southern voice.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:34 PM

222 posts, read 196,690 times
I'm from Pennsylvania, I don't consider Virginia a northern state. I think Virginia is where the south begins. Once you get past NOVA/DC area you start hearing southern accents, things feel a little slower.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-23-2016 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia