Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 18,936 times

Advertisements

Hello great citizens of Virginia! I will be making a move in the coming months to Fredericksburg . I have some important questions to ask just so I will know what to expect from that city. How much is the average electric and water bill? How is the commute from Fredericksburg to Washington? Who provides cable service? Those are all the questions I have now I can't remember anything else LOL.

Please reply back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 9,626 times
Hello, i moved to Fred. almost 2 years ago from Florida, and i can tell you this is nice city, good schools and has "The Central Park" it is huge shopping center with internal roads, several major stores, supermarkets, restaurants, banks, clothing, fun places, regal movies, toys, Lowe's, wal-mart, target.. etc. (you can see it online for more information).
Actually, i live in the spotsylvania side of Fredericksburg, neighborhood of "Chancellor Green", 15 minutes away from downtown driving. It is very nice, quiet and safe.
The electric is an average of $170 a month with the "Budget plan", house of 3 bedrooms, 2 floors, and garage, 5 people living there. Depends how much you use your A/C or Heater. The stove is electric.
The water is low around $50-70 a month, depends how many people live in there and how often you make a laundry.
The cable in my area is provided only by Comcast, and Satellite by Direct Tv or Dish Network, however, there is another companies like Cox Communications or Verizon FiOs that cover different neigbohoods.
I commute to Alexandria everyday by train (VRE Virginia Railway Express, look at VRE.ORG for more information) it is a commuter train from Fredericksburg to Washington DC. You can drive also, or carpool (it may be free), or vanpool (paid). The rush hour traffic is heavy in I-95. With no traffic the driving time can be 50-60 minutes to DC.
Well, i hope this is enough information. good luck.
For realtor service, i recomend contact Long & Foster.
Also you can find more data about Fredericksburg in this forum.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:13 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
We loved our time in the Fredericksburg area, but the commute was really hard on my hubby.

I've had a lot of posts on the forum about our time in Spotsylvania County. Do a quick search for my posts and that should give you a lot of information on the area.

Good luck with your move and let us know if you have any other questions!

Old 03-01-2010, 06:24 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
We (in Stafford Cty, within spitting distance of the City of Fredericksburg) have Cox Communications for cable....we also have a choice of Verizon Fios.....we stuck with Cox. $123 mo. for cable, phone and internet....not the "fastest" they offer, but PLENTY fast for us! '
We have natural gas and elec.....runs about $250 in the winter (combined) to about $130 in the summer (when we're not using the gas heat). Water/sewage is about $40 (avg) per mo. (Stafford is cheaper than Spotsy) Trash pickup is $23 per mo. (Shiffletts Trash service)
Traffic is awful, especially on I-95--anytime is clogged....the roads are not super great---but that's almost ALL of Va! The area and people are nice....hubby is a native and I've been here since 1973...it's changed and grown, but we like it.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:35 AM

2 posts, read 18,936 times
Thank you all for the information! It is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 AM

5 posts, read 36,122 times
I'm a realtor in the King George, Colonial Beach area. I live in King George we are 20 minutes from Fredericksburg, 20 minutes from LaPlata, Maryland and 20 minutes to Colonial Beach.

If you are looking for the hustle and bustle of NY, Fredericksburg is for you, although it's on a slightly slower scale.

If you are looking for a peaceful, more country type of setting, King George is it. My husband traveled to Dulles Airport and Ronald Regan, he used Rte 301 (back routes) liked it better than I95 and the commute is about the same 1 hr - 1 1/2 Hr.

We have lived here 6 years, moved from Fredericksburg, it is initially an adjustment, but well worth the time as far as we are concerned. We are in a neighborhood called Cleydale, 2-3 acres per lot, plenty of neighbors, but not sitting on your door step.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 36,122 times
Oh, and the taxes are less than Frdbrg in King George

Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 AM

9 posts, read 24,830 times
Taxes are less in King George, Caroline, and Spotsylvania when compared to the city of Fredericksburg and Stafford...however, if you are coming from NY City, you will hardly find Fredericksburg to be hustle or bustle...they aren't even on the same scale when it comes to cities. NY is huge, up to date and fast paced, where downtown Fredericksburg is slow moving and captures alot of history in it. There are places like Central Park and South Point that have a lot of restaurants and shopping. Really, the GREAT thing about Fredericksburg (and surrounding counties) is there is something for everyone. Shopping, Restaurants, events etc...Even if you did love the country and wanted to live away from any type of noise, it would only be a short ride into town!

Were you looking to move right into the heart of downtown Fredericksburg??

Old 04-01-2011, 09:06 AM

9 posts, read 30,150 times
We are thinking of moving from Rockland County NY to Roanoke Va has anyone done this?

Old 04-01-2011, 02:14 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico49 View Post
We are thinking of moving from Rockland County NY to Roanoke Va has anyone done this?
I'm from Rockland, have lived in the Richmond area for the last 12 years. Your going to like Virginia!....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia