Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 09:11 AM

74 posts, read 141,291 times

Advertisements

So, i have an amazingly awesomeeeeeee family friend who just offered to take me to any amusement park from NC to NJ!
Me, i don't want her to have to drive far due to gas prices, so i was trying to pick between Busch Gardens and Kings Dominion - and i wanted to ask you guys about some things i've found online, or heard via people.

Mmkay, so what i'm hearing is that Kings Dominion[and Carowinds] has more rides, and a few epic-awesome coasters, but that it's very dirty and that "thugs" are all over the place.

Someone else online said this:

"Granted they dont have as many rides at BG but they make up for it in overall quality by a mile. The rides here are lower in quantity but are much higher quality. Kings Dominion and Six Flags do have a few killer rides, but the idiots you have to deal with to enjoy them make it not worth the effort."

and then this[about Busch Gardens]:

"The park is laid out well, nicely landscaped, super friendly staff and the food is some of the best I've experienced. You get your money's worth for the pile of food you get, especially at the Trapper's place in New France."

So what do you guys think about all of that??
Right, Wrong, or Kinda-True-Kinda-Not?!

Thanks for any help!! <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 08:53 AM

894 posts, read 2,315,638 times
I'm surprised no one replied to this yet. In my opinion, Busch Gardens is better for reputation and cleanliness. Kings Dominion is better for cost maybe, and rides. It depends what you want when you go. If you want ambience and character, definitely Busch Gardens. If you want rides then Kings Dominion. There may be more of a thuggish atmosphere at KD, but it's not overwhelmed by it. Both are close to Richmond, if possible go to one, one day, and the other the next.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 PM

74 posts, read 141,291 times
Yeah i was surprised by that too! lol
Thanks though!

And i'd LOVE to be able to stay a night and go to both, but we can't........so i'm thinking i'm going to choose Busch Gardens!!
From everything i've heard so far, Busch Gardens sounds lovely and KD sounds.....iffy!? lols

I wouldn't mind going to KD at a later time though! =P

Thanks again!

Old 06-19-2011, 10:16 PM

371 posts, read 1,191,216 times
We go to both parks. If you can only choose one though, and you are not a huge coaster fan, then choose BG. There are alot of flower plantings and shady tree areas that make the park beautiful and pleasant to walk through. The shady areas are a blessing on these hot summer days. Kings dominion on a hot day is..well...hot as Heck. The newer coaster areas have no shade whatso ever. And the food options at BG are waaayyy better than what you find at KD.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I guess that I would have responded but when the OP uses terms such as "thugs", I have to ask myself what they mean? A person who has tattoos. A person of a different race?

Agree with ^^.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:24 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times
I have tattoos and I love Kings Dominion. I think it all depends on what you are looking for in a theme park? I like Bush Gardens too but I like BIG rides and Bush Gardens is ok for that but... if it was me, I'd be choosing Kings Dominion simply for the rides.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:50 AM

84 posts, read 202,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I guess that I would have responded but when the OP uses terms such as "thugs", I have to ask myself what they mean? A person who has tattoos. A person of a different race?

Agree with ^^.
a person who has little respect for others, and him/herself. a thug has a below average iq and likes to take part in illegal activity such as, drug dealing/use, fighting, killing, etc. a thug will go to great lengths to protect his "turf," most likely a street corner, or a crappy playground. it's easy to spot a thug: on the corner, pants around the knees, bandana or doorag on head, peach-fuzz goatee and a diamond earing, "tough guy" look on face.

Best description I could find. This description doesnt apply to one race either. White, Black, or Hispanic Ive seen them both.

Back to KD or BG, I would choose BG for sure as it is by far cleaner and I think you get more for your money. Thugs will be at both.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:34 AM

43 posts, read 82,516 times
When I think of thugs, I think of gang members. Tattoos, skin color, age, don't bother me, but growing up in the suburbs of D.C. and having a father who is a cop, I've gotten so I can identify a group of gang members. I have a friend who used to work in security at Six Flags America, and they have a pretty significant problem with gangs (Sunday is gang day if you're wondering what day to avoid going to SF.) Back in the 90's there was a stabbing at King's Dominion during a big thug brawl, which lead to KD installing metal detectors at the entrance. I have never felt unsafe at KD, but KD does attract a lot more teenagers versus BG which attracts a lot more families. KD has a very extensive collection of coasters, but I like BG more since they have a better variety of rides, the shows are fun, the food is very good and the park is beautiful.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:23 AM

106 posts, read 263,345 times
All the blacks from Richmond all go to Kings Dominion, thats what most blacks as a kids go to and continue as were older. I only been to Busch Gardens once. They have the griffon but thats the only thing i would like to checkout. I think Kings Dominion has more actual roller coasters & rides. i checked out Busch gardens site and it was a bunch of weak kid stuff/family rides. I don't recall any thugs at kings dominion but i know what you mean. if you want to avoid the things you probably shouldnt go on a Friday or maybe a Saturday, I would just suggest going during the weekday when its not as busy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia