Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 01:59 PM

41 posts, read 122,654 times

Advertisements

I recently visited Galax and Hillsville Va. I really liked it, but was wondering if "transplants" from the North are welcomed? (I'm a NY'er). After reading the posts on the NC board, there seems to be quite alot of hostility toward northerners. I just loved this area of Virginia, and was hoping it was as friendly as it seemed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 02:37 PM

174 posts, read 528,420 times
It depends. If you go there and treat the people with respect and kindness you will probably be accepted by most. Now, if you go in acting like a know it all and talk about how much better things in NY are you will probably not be accepted.

Are you planning on a possible move to the Galax area?

Old 08-14-2007, 03:24 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,832 times
I haven't been to some of the smaller towns west of here, but I just relocated to Roanoke back in March and I LOVE it! I love Va. in general and Roanoke has some incredibly friendly folks.

I'm interested to see what others have to say about the Galax and Hillsville areas because, while I do like Roanoke a great deal, my wife and I are looking to settle down and buy a house fairly soon and if I had my druthers, I'd move a little further west to a more rural area to buy, assuming I could find a job out that way.

Virginia is home to us now.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALover View Post
It depends. If you go there and treat the people with respect and kindness you will probably be accepted by most. Now, if you go in acting like a know it all and talk about how much better things in NY are you will probably not be accepted.

Are you planning on a possible move to the Galax area?
Thank you for responding. When I first started this thread I did not want to mention that I am already residing in NC. (transplant from NY) I have been here three years and the only complaint I have is the heat, and just wanted to eventually move to Galax, Hillsville area. Whether I came to NC "stupid", not knowing what other people seemed to already know about the way they feel Southerner's are.........I don't know. I never had any problem with people here. I have always just been myself, which is with kindness and respect, and have received more over in return. I have found Southerner's to be very kind, especially with my son who is handicapped.

People bent over backwards to help me restart my life here. Of course, I have met people who are down right rude, but it had nothing to do with being southern. Just rude, as with some people I knew in NY. I think you have that no matter where you live. I have had people in NY who absolutely moved their seats in a restaurant, so they would not be sitting next to my son and I. It just reflects their mentality and social skills, not from where they are from.

Again, I appreciate your response, and since I have a fantastic job that I can't afford to leave, I would like to have a camp or a "get-away" , so I can go on week-ends to Virginia for now. (or whenever I can get away) I love the cooler winters. Then in about ten years retire there.

Maybe, my best bet, is to stop reading the "posts" from NC, because I never had any problem with the people here. Once I started reading them, it made me feel I shouldn't say where I was from, or that I should start looking behind my back! I know now that is not my "truth".

I am going to the big flea market in Hillsville this Labor Day Week-end. Can't wait! Take care.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:23 PM

174 posts, read 528,420 times
Rude people are everywhere. I think if you were able to move somewhere, start over, and be accepted for who you are, you are a very lucky person. I seriously doubt that all of the people you are friends with in NC are backstabbers. I am not sure where you are in NC but the areas I have visited have been gracious.

Hang in there. Don't let what you read on these boards overshadow what you already know to be true.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:20 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,223,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymunga View Post
I recently visited Galax and Hillsville Va. I really liked it, but was wondering if "transplants" from the North are welcomed? (I'm a NY'er). After reading the posts on the NC board, there seems to be quite alot of hostility toward northerners. I just loved this area of Virginia, and was hoping it was as friendly as it seemed.

I was visiting the area in June and really loved it too. Galax is a really nice town, and I really liked Floyd County as well. I hope you get to move there. If it weren't for family, I would have moved by now.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:13 PM

Cool thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I was visiting the area in June and really loved it too. Galax is a really nice town, and I really liked Floyd County as well. I hope you get to move there. If it weren't for family, I would have moved by now.
I thank you for your response. I would love to move tomorrow, but my job pays so well that I can't or won't leave it...... I would not get the same pay elsewhere. My family is back in NY, so it's the opposite with me. A job keeps me here, but I am only an hour away from Galax, so it doesn't take long to get there. I will look up Floyd county to also see what I can find. If I could move tomorrow I would!

Old 08-16-2007, 12:17 PM

Cool Statesville, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALover View Post
Rude people are everywhere. I think if you were able to move somewhere, start over, and be accepted for who you are, you are a very lucky person. I seriously doubt that all of the people you are friends with in NC are backstabbers. I am not sure where you are in NC but the areas I have visited have been gracious.

Hang in there. Don't let what you read on these boards overshadow what you already know to be true.
I am currently residing in Statesville, NC. Heat wave these last 20 days!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia