Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 01:16 PM

941 posts, read 1,804,606 times

Advertisements

Do you ever think how you'd like to live privately with woods buffering you from the road.. having some open space too, still only being a few miles from town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:32 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Yes! It happens every single day of my life, trees and a long distance view of mountains and beauty. I do have a long distance view where I live, but it's basically prairie, nice, but not like mountains and rolling hills.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:38 PM

Default hills, mountains, and views

Prairie sounds pretty.. like a sea of green that goes on as far as the eye can see..

We have a view in between pine branches of the Blue Ridge Mountains.. and yes, they do look blue.. the rocky areas that is, but the mountains are mostly green with trees, and the sunset shines from behind them insetting sprays of light. A road was built high up all along the edge and at night you can see car headlights.
There are no other lights up there, so the mountain blends into the darkness of night..then, when a car passes it appears as if there is a UFO sailing through the sky.. kind of neat looking.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:23 PM

Well, right now the prairie is brown and horribly unattractive due to the drought in Texas. It will get better if we ever get any rain. The view to the east has some mighty beautiful sunrises. My Live Oak Tree is lovely (it's in my backyard), but I live in a neighborhood and can hear traffic on a farm to market road. Seclusion is what I'll have some day.

Your area sounds lovely.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:31 PM

Default Aw, thanks

Hope you guys get some rain... Texas is burning.. (I'm sending a prayer)

I wish I knew how to get the photos onto this site.. I have no technology ability, or I'd send you some photos.. I'm actually sewing up the end of prettification to sell this place.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:32 PM

Default canine... what kind?

Canine castle... what kind??

We are boston terrier people

Old 09-07-2011, 06:00 PM

Thank you for your prayer. Thank God I'm not "in the line of fire" at least not at the present time. My heavens! There is no rain in sight and temperatures will be hot again next week. They're hot enough now in the afternoon, but cooler at night after over 70 days of triple digit temps. It's really scary that so much is burning. The count of houses is well over 1,000 now with more fires breaking out every day.

I've actually been thinking of Virginia as a possible relocation one day. I visited the southwestern part and fell in love with it. In which county is your property?

Here are two photos of my canine girls. The purebred Yellow Lab is the mom of the daughter who is, and takes after her father, part Catahoula. Lady is the Lab and Katy is the Houla. They're loves. My dogs way, "Woof!!" to your Boston Terriers.

If you figure out how to post pictures, I'd love to see your lovely home site.
Attached Thumbnails
Ever wish for a few private acres to live on?-lady-katy-1.jpg   Ever wish for a few private acres to live on?-lady-katy-2.jpg  

Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 PM

Default Woof woof back at you

Oh your dogs have such love in their eyes! Such pretty ladies.
(I have often thought about starting a thread on the subject.
They are such good company.

I hadn't realize the count was as high as 1,000.. that's devastating!!
Are you safe, hundreds of miles away, I hope?

Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Oh your dogs have such love in their eyes! Such pretty ladies.
(I have often thought about starting a thread on the subject.
They are such good company.

I hadn't realize the count was as high as 1,000.. that's devastating!!
Are you safe, hundreds of miles away, I hope?
Yes, I'm safe from the Bastrop fires. We had a fire last night in my county and many had to evacuate including my sister, nephew, and his wife. Their houses were saved, but several were lost including many structures. I'm 13 miles away from them and could see the fire from my road. It was very scary and I'm saddened for the ones I know who lost their homes. It's 80% contained now, but who knows where the next one will break out. We need rain desperately and there's no chance any time soon. I've never seen such a drought. Power outages are everywhere and many were without water overnight.

My dogs are total blessings. I love them so. There are some pretty cool threads about dogs on the "Pets" CD forum.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Do you ever think how you'd like to live privately with woods buffering you from the road.. having some open space too, still only being a few miles from town?
We used to think that living next a nice little stream would be nice. So we tried it. The stream flash floods. Not nice. Now we have to start looking again for our retirement home. We are thinking about southwestern VA, in the Wythe Co area. Do you have an opinion of this area in general?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia