Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:16 AM

51 posts, read 219,743 times

Advertisements

I was talking to someone who said that they don't watch the TV news because it's too biased. I'm not sure what they meant by that and I didn't want to ask. I didn't want the conversation to turn into some political thing. They get their local TV news out of Washington, D.C.

What do you all think was meant by their comment? Personally, I don't watch the news because the stupidity and injustices anger me. I suspect they meant the news was biased towards one political party over the other. Would their comment give any indication as to which political party they support?

I never get into political conversations with anyone. But I do like to know what party people support. It usually gives me some indication as to what topics I should stay away from when talking to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:26 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blublu View Post
I was talking to someone who said that they don't watch the TV news because it's too biased. I'm not sure what they meant by that and I didn't want to ask. I didn't want the conversation to turn into some political thing.
Why don't you ask them what specifically they meant? If it leans toward a political conversation, then this would be good practice for you in how to handle this.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:40 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Yes, I think most of the news is biased -- one way or the other. That's why I think it is crucially important to read a VARIETY of news. Listen to some talk radio, local news, cable news and a variety of political blogs. Real Clear Politics links to a wide variety of news sites for quick reads.

That way you can make an educated decision. If you are spoon-fed news (from either side), you're just a puppet.

And, unfortunately, too many people only listen to one-side and vote for political leaders like it is American Idol. Remember, it doesn't matter if you "like" the person running. Odds are you're not going out to dinner with them anytime soon. Look at the platform that person's party supports and then decide.

Lastly, I think it's sad that you feel there are topics to avoid with some people. Whatever happened to freedom of speech and respecting other's opinions?

Old 02-23-2012, 09:17 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,691 times
Agree with the above post.

I read CNN, Foxnews, Drudge Report, Washington Post, MSNBC and many others; that way I have a general idea of what has been going on. News is news, there is no "bias'ing" it, you have to learn to omit the opinionated portions of the article (if applicable) to extract the factual part and then judge for yourself using your own convictions, politicial/moral beliefs and common sense. Some media outlets omit or downplay certain stories based on their political standing. "Biased news" is not a good enough exsuse to avoid getting news or being politically/socially inactive. Only the weak/cowards would do something like that.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:55 PM

51 posts, read 219,743 times
Woah! I just wanted to know why someone would think the local TV news is too biased. I don't watch the news anymore so I don't know what they show. The person that made the comment was a doctor. I didn't feel it was appropriate that I ask why they thought that.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:27 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blublu View Post
Woah! I just wanted to know why someone would think the local TV news is too biased. I don't watch the news anymore so I don't know what they show. The person that made the comment was a doctor. I didn't feel it was appropriate that I ask why they thought that.
It is amazing isn't. All these posters on this thread preach research and making informed decisions and then toss around insults and pass judgement based on suppositions of one mere sentence.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:15 PM

696 posts, read 1,301,691 times
Touché ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
It is amazing isn't. All these posters on this thread preach research and making informed decisions and then toss around insults and pass judgement based on suppositions of one mere sentence.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:31 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
Touché ..
Actualy there is no touche. Own up to it. You used words like cowardice. That is what you posted. I didn't. You did. Get off your high horse. The orginal OP made a completely inocent post and some felt a need to rant. Sad.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:54 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,402,351 times
The people on the right say that popular news media is too biased to the left and middle.

The people on the left say that popular news media is too biased to the right and middle.

The people in the middle say that popular news media is too biased to the left and the right.

I personally like Newsprism which grades newslinks by left/medium/right. Check it out.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:25 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,986 times
Biased or not, local TV news is awful. Sensationalized, fear mongering garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia