Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 09:16 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times

Advertisements

Hi --

I'm still on my search and I feel like a kid in a candy shop!

I really love what I'm seeing in Southern Virginia.
But there's soooo much to see!
Lately, I've even spotted some nice places in Northern North Carolina.

--> I like my privacy--but I'm friendly
--> I don't do drugs and I dislike crime
--> My dream is to find five acres in an A-1 zoned area
--> I like being within a 45 min radius of a college or university
--> I'd turn back-flips if it had water on it
--> I'm black so I've been warned to avoid the mountains
--> And .. um... "I'm from California"

I'm a 58 y.o. retired disabled vet (PTSD--not physical) so property taxes won't be a big issue.

Basically, I'll do the leg work if y'all can clue me in on if there's much difference between N.C. and VA? (southern VA)

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Hi --

I'm still on my search and I feel like a kid in a candy shop!

I really love what I'm seeing in Southern Virginia.
But there's soooo much to see!
Lately, I've even spotted some nice places in Northern North Carolina.

--> I like my privacy--but I'm friendly
--> I don't do drugs and I dislike crime
--> My dream is to find five acres in an A-1 zoned area
--> I like being within a 45 min radius of a college or university
--> I'd turn back-flips if it had water on it
--> I'm black so I've been warned to avoid the mountains
--> And .. um... "I'm from California"

I'm a 58 y.o. retired disabled vet (PTSD--not physical) so property taxes won't be a big issue.

Basically, I'll do the leg work if y'all can clue me in on if there's much difference between N.C. and VA? (southern VA)

Many thanks!
Didn't you once live in Oklahoma (Tulsa) , well getting back to the comparison between "Southern Virginia" and "Northern North Carolina..
Southern Virginia is sort of Urban , once was stationed there "Yorktown VA" and Northern NC is rural , but a perfect place for Acres of land on a
"Black Ponderosa"...your nearest cities are in Southern Virginia.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:59 PM

156 posts, read 369,986 times
taxes and higher cost of living .Hotter in NC in the summer but warmer in the winter .I live 15 minutes from NC in Va

Old 04-22-2012, 05:59 AM

found out something also that in NC you will have to take the driving test and written test to get your license and in VA you only need your birth certificate and 1 utility bill in your name with your address to get it here .

Old 04-23-2012, 12:01 AM

Default lovin' it

I'm absolutely loving this process!

Sissy77 continues to be a gold mine.
Good info about the driver's license.

And Howest2008...
You're sharp as a tack. Yeah ... I kinda-sorta did live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I dove truck out of Tulsa for a couple of years. I even rented an apartment there one time ... an apartment that I never really saw.

Thanks for remembering.
But this ... this ... this will be a real move.
I've retired.
This will be a spot to ride it out (I hope).

Sissy77 is schooling me on how to look. She has some awesome advice.

Sissy ... if you ever want to write a book about all the information you have, I'll help edit it for you.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,960 times
I live in the small city of Danville, VA which borders NC. VA and NC share a border that's at least 300 miles long so you've given us a large area. I live about 45 min. from Greensboro, NC and it has several colleges and universities. Have you thought about contacting a real estate agent? There's plenty of rural and open land here but I don't know whether it's for sale. You could search in Pittsylvania County, VA or in Caswell, Rockingham, or northern Guilford county, NC. In the area I live I don't think Northern NC is much different than S. Va. They're both rural have and small towns and cities. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Housing is really cheap around Danville and Martinsville VA, because there are no jobs, due to all the factory closures and depressed economy. And you are close to Greensboro NC there (historically black university among other things).

If you want to be near a big Lake for boating/ fishing you might also consider the large Reservoir that's along the NC / VA border and not so far from Raleig

h / Durham. Click here South Hill Enterprise: Our mission is to be a written and visual record of whatmakes our community special .

The northern limit of cotton growing, is just a few miles north of the state line, so in a way you could say that's another difference between the 2 states.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:23 AM

I lived all my life in New Jersey so I know more about that than VA .I have learned a lot living here and love it ,but do miss my friends in NJ .But very expensive to live there or retire there ,lots of colleges though .There Patrick Henry Community college and Danville Community college here.I know some areas i like to visit in NC as i can see you have looked there ,Stoneville ,Eden ,Riedsville and few others that are pretty .There are a lot of bank owned and foreclosures and homes for sale Callands has one 12.57 acres 54.900 and if you are getting a VA loan then you can get cheaper closing costs also .I know you want acreage .One just came on the market in Blairs VA 14.12 acres for 139.000 and that is near Danville,Ringgold 5.87 acres at 89.900 .please make sure you get a well and septic tank inspection by someone honest .They add more and more and the foreclosure sight just added 200 more homes .I can even check and tell you who owns the house how much they paid and if everything is permitted and taxed .10 acres in Java 49.000

Old 04-30-2012, 12:39 AM

Default Thanks Sissy77

I'll be there in three months or less ... but I won't be buying until ... 9 or 10 months from now.

I'm working on getting pre-qualified right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia