Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 PM

26 posts, read 39,602 times

Advertisements

Looking for retirement home, preferably lakefront, .75 acre or more....kayaking/small motors.....dog friendly....$300,000 approx.....hiking areas/parkland nearby. Environmentally friendly. Progressive/liberal a plus as is vibrant town within 20 miles....(was looking at Charlotte area and found lakes seem to be developed wall to wall with little natural area)....a large pond/river would work... Any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srewolf View Post
Progressive/liberal a plus as is vibrant town within 20 miles....
Progressive in rural Virginia?? Are you kidding?? However, Lake Monticello (Palmyra) near Charlottesville might be the best fit for you. It is a dammed-up river, so the water might not be the cleanest. But there are nice walking paths through the area and swimming beaches. I think they allow small engines on the lake. Plus there is a small shopping area with all the necessities and a health club near the development.

There is also a small lakefront community in Locust Grove (Orange County) that you might like. It's called Lake of The Woods. You may have to look a bit harder for a 3/4 acres lot in either of these areas, as most lots are smaller. And you will not find lake *front* house and lot at $300,000 unless it is really run-down. There is too much demand for lake-front.

We also looked at Smith Mountain Lake, and while it is pretty, we found it too isolated and the land was too steep for our retirement years.

If the political environment is really important to you, the Congressman for Lake Monticello is Robert Hurt, and the one for Lake of the Woods is Eric Cantor. Both are conservative Republicans, elected by good margins, so please be realistic about Virginia.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-28-2012 at 08:15 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 09:52 AM

26 posts, read 39,602 times
Yeah, thanks....I prefer a small fixer in terms of a home...like a serene setting...not McMansion on the lake.....I guess I'm looking for the granola sect....small house I can add alternative energy to, garden, kayaks...not the roar of huge "toys"

Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srewolf View Post
Yeah, thanks....I prefer a small fixer in terms of a home...like a serene setting...not McMansion on the lake.....I guess I'm looking for the granola sect....small house I can add alternative energy to, garden, kayaks...not the roar of huge "toys"
You would have to check with homeowner associations for Lake Monticello and Lake of The Woods, however, I believe solar panels would be OK.

Smith Mountain Lake definitely has the McMansions and power boats. However, the lower part called Leesville Lake might be more your speed. Also check out the Lake Gaston/Kerr Lake areas on the border of NC and Virginia. Another spot to check is the Lake Holiday area in the northern tip of Virginia, west of Winchester in Cross Junction. There are some good prices on water-front houses at Lake Holiday, possibly because the golf course is no longer open, and there are some short-sales.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-28-2012 at 10:51 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 11:07 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
About 45 minutes from Raleigh, NC but you should be able to find a waterfront place here for $300K:

Lake Royale Property Owner’s Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia