Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 03:59 PM

80 posts, read 218,839 times

Advertisements

"The rest of the state seems kind of slow and behind the times to me. A throwback to an earlier age. I'm sure some find that charming. As a native Westerner who doesn't come from an evangelical religious background I'm not particularly enamored with its culture or values. Perhaps that's why my ancestors left too."

Don't be too quick to judge. I too am not religious but I've met some amazing people and I've learned to really appreciate how more people in these "backward" areas seem to really have their priorities in order. Family is hugely important. There are actual communities where people know each other and grew up together. This is not the case in much of nova. The music is so much fun and it plays a big part in peoples lives especially in places like Floyd and the surrounding area. The food is really good too. Don't get me wrong, there is a darker side but I think the good far outweighs the bad. Imo, values tend to be stronger in these areas, not weaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
The rest of the state seems kind of slow and behind the times to me. A throwback to an earlier age. I'm sure some find that charming. As a native Westerner who doesn't come from an evangelical religious background I'm not particularly enamored with its culture or values. Perhaps that's why my ancestors left too.
I find it a bit amazing that someone would allude that N.VA is somehow "more with the times" and in the same breath, are quick to judge a very broad group of folks who reside in a very broad geographic area. Not particularly "progressive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakalena View Post
Don't be too quick to judge. I too am not religious but I've met some amazing people and I've learned to really appreciate how more people in these "backward" areas seem to really have their priorities in order. Family is hugely important. There are actual communities where people know each other and grew up together. This is not the case in much of nova. The music is so much fun and it plays a big part in peoples lives especially in places like Floyd and the surrounding area. The food is really good too. Don't get me wrong, there is a darker side but I think the good far outweighs the bad. Imo, values tend to be stronger in these areas, not weaker.
Well said.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:18 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
I find it a bit amazing that someone would allude that N.VA is somehow "more with the times" and in the same breath, are quick to judge a very broad group of folks who residie in a very broad geographic area. Not particularly "progressive."
I'm as entitled to give my cultural impressions as anyone else. To each his own.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 11-12-2012 at 06:30 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 10:50 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,102,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
I find it a bit amazing that someone would allude that N.VA is somehow "more with the times" and in the same breath, are quick to judge a very broad group of folks who reside in a very broad geographic area. Not particularly "progressive."

+10000

NOVA is not Virginia. Period. It's a transient place made up of self-important "phoney baloney" types who suck the decency out of the rest of the state.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:33 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
+10000

NOVA is not Virginia. Period. It's a transient place made up of self-important "phoney baloney" types who suck the decency out of the rest of the state.
We're the only thing that makes it not Kentucky.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:29 AM

513 posts, read 962,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
+10000

Touche. Roanoke is full Forest Gump type who think the first day of hunting season is a national holiday.

Va Beach/Tidewater was considered for the a new season of the show "The Wire". Producers decided against it because they thought Hampton was too violent to shoot the show at.

Richmond city is a lame city that cant even support a department store and the school system is widely considered int he lower 5% of the entire USA for cities!

Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,102,279 times
Quote:
I could argue that Richmond & Hampton Roads accomplish that. But thanks for reinforcing my point!

Old 11-14-2012, 04:39 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,847 times
I question these "values" that places like Roanoke has when at one point it has one of the highest rates of divorce in the state (though VA isn't highly ranked vs other states).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakalena View Post
nova is not Virginia. I mean no offense by that. Just that nova is a much more transient area due to its proximity to DC, so you get people from all over. Whereas the rest of the state is full of people that have been there for generations and are much more southern in nature and hence take on the southern cultural norms of etiquette to strangers.

I grew up in nova but my fam. is from the southside region of the state so I've spent most of my life going back and forth and spending a lot of time in both areas. Generally speaking the rest of the state as well as many northern virginians i know do not consider nova as being traditionally virginian by nature whether for good or bad.
This.

VA is a different but very interesting state. We need to enjoy for the diversity of regions that VA offers.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:01 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Quote:
And you have spent how much time in Kentucky?

Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,064,275 times
Quote:
Go around town wearing an Obama shirt with marriage equality and pro-choice stickers on your car and see how friendly the locals are then.
Roanoke City was 59-37 for Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia