Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,810 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are transferring from texas, he will be stationed at Andrews Afb. We were wanting to live on base and were told we can live at fort belvoir but all that is available there is woodlawn village. Can anyone tell me how that housing is, I know it is off the base, is it in a good area? Any info I can get on it would be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 01:13 PM

34 posts, read 160,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandacarlson View Post
My husband and I are transferring from texas, he will be stationed at Andrews Afb. We were wanting to live on base and were told we can live at fort belvoir but all that is available there is woodlawn village. Can anyone tell me how that housing is, I know it is off the base, is it in a good area? Any info I can get on it would be great.

Thanks
Hi,
It is not in a bad area,not the best but not bad...To Andrews is a bit of a drive..
You will be near Route 1 which can get pretty congested..Hope this help a little.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:12 PM

798 posts, read 2,727,445 times
I don't know that area but have been told it is not the best part of town and as the previous poster mentioned, the trip to Andrews is not ideal.. Is a waiting list an options for one of the other housing areas? Bolling is only 7 or 8 miles from Andrews so that would be much closer if that was available. Do you have school aged children?

Old 03-18-2009, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
I don't know that area but have been told it is not the best part of town and as the previous poster mentioned, the trip to Andrews is not ideal.. Is a waiting list an options for one of the other housing areas? Bolling is only 7 or 8 miles from Andrews so that would be much closer if that was available. Do you have school aged children?

Yes, I do have 3 school aged children, and 1 toddler. I called bolling afb and they said we cannot live in their housing because andrews has housing available. Andrews told us the only housing they had available was summerfeild and I heard that is a HORRIBLE area, so we decided not to take housing there.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,768 times
The Route One corridor provides good access to shopping and dining but traffic is rough. Things have improved a great deal since the Wilson Bridge (495 - the Beltway - into Maryland) construction has started winding down. If your husband is an early riser, the commute is not too bad. He would have two options - straight up Rt 1 to the bridge or up the GW Parkway with a cut over to the bridge at Gibbon Street in Old Town Alexandria. The Woodlawn Gardens area is near some baseball fields that my son used to play on (many years ago) - it seems pleasant enough (a little high density compared to homes farther from Rt 1).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: