Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 12:51 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,599,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
While you guys argue about which party-loyalist candidate will mess up our government the least, the big story gets swept under the rug. The big story is that we don't really get to choose who represents us anymore. Cuccinelli was chosen via convention instead of primary and McCauliffe had no opposition in the primary. In other words, these candidates that we hate were hand-picked by the partyies we are expected to vote for this November. Lastly but most importantly, rules make it difficult for another party to be included in debates which are free and important exposure for the third party candidates without the riches of the special interest groups at their disposal. Sarvis is at 11% in the most recent poll yet he will not be allowed to participate in the final debate. Do you people who are going to vote for a major party candidate truly feel like your interests are being represented by this process?
Yes. Because you could have been a delegate for the Republicans or primaried yourself (or championed someone besides McAuliffe) in the Democrat race.

I did neither so I have no right to complain how the candidates were selected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 PM

600 posts, read 660,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Then move there. CA is rapidly approaching third world living standards outside of the wealthy enclaves.
and TX is already there outside of wealthy enclaves!

and FYI, I'll live where I please; deal with it...

Old 10-18-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
and TX is already there outside of wealthy enclaves!

and FYI, I'll live where I please; deal with it...
I really don't care about Texas (why do you keep bringing that up?). I was stationed there in the Army, that was enough of that place for me for a lifetime.

If you're going to praise a state that is well past crisis mode for not spending as much as it thought it would for a single year you are demonstrating your utter lack of how state budgets work. California is beyond a mess.

And you should move there if you think it's so great. I much preferred Virginia to New York...so I moved here and am much happier for it.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:13 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,461,748 times
And Maryland is getting there outside of wealthy enclaves! A very thin slice of Chevy Chase, Bethesda and Potomac have been carrying the burden of Montgomery County for quite a few years now. The rest of the county is failing rapidly.

I find it interesting in the DC Metro area, liberal Democrats who gripe and complain about Republicans still choose to live in Virginia. DC and the Maryland suburbs are almost exclusively Democrat but Northern Virginia has the booming counties. Loudoun is attracting great wealth, particularly Montgomery County residents fleeing the excessive property taxes, millionaire's taxes, rain taxes, highest gasoline taxes in the region etc.

But, mostly, people choose to live in Virginia because business-friendly policies have brought all kinds of jobs to Virginia.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I really don't care about Texas (why do you keep bringing that up?). I was stationed there in the Army, that was enough of that place for me for a lifetime.

If you're going to praise a state that is well past crisis mode for not spending as much as it thought it would for a single year you are demonstrating your utter lack of how state budgets work. California is beyond a mess.

And you should move there if you think it's so great. I much preferred Virginia to New York...so I moved here and am much happier for it.

if you would follow context, you would have noticed that I only brought up TX to juxtapose how republican governance can certainly be worse than democratic governance (CA)...

and again you're overstating CA's problems which are not nearly as bad as TX's.

unlike you I was born and raised in VA, so I know how this state functions, and thank goodness it's becoming more and more purple to keep both political parties in check (especially the republicans who have gone politically crazy in other southern states)!

Old 10-18-2013, 02:02 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,461,748 times
Quote:
if you would follow context, you would have noticed that I only brought up TX to juxtapose how republican governance can certainly be worse than democratic governance (CA)...

unlike you I was born and raised in VA, so I know how this state functions, and thank goodness it's becoming more and more purple to keep both political parties in check (especially the republicans who have gone politically crazy in other southern states)!
So, you've never lived in a deep blue state?

Old 10-19-2013, 03:33 AM

744 posts, read 1,093,102 times
If McAullife wins, I wonder if a bunch of those kooky counties in the Southwestern part of the state are going to push for secession. Secede, and then join West Virginia.

One can only hope.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Try and own a business and/or home in NY and let me know how that Democrat governance works for you.

yeah, I may not care much for social conservatism, but I do like being able to afford things from not being taxed to the point of hardship.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Try and own a business and/or home in NY and let me know how that Democrat governance works for you.

yeah, I may not care much for social conservatism, but I do like being able to afford things from not being taxed to the point of hardship.
plenty of business do great in NY!

again, I don't know why you conservatives like to pick on the two largest and most successful states (economically) to critique Democratic fiscal governance

it makes no sense...

Old 10-20-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:

double post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia