Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:47 AM

689 posts, read 1,615,806 times

Advertisements

How is that post not relevant? If you're complaining about driving in VA and comparing it to other states, place of origin seems relevant to me.

I think left-lane cruising is better in northern VA than elsewhere in the state, but I always assumed that was because everyone on the highways had someplace to go; most of them were commuting. As LynchburgLover noted, there are lots of foreign drivers in our state, as well, so perhaps that has something to do with their propensity for hogging the left lane. Makes sense to me, if their home country doesn't have the same rules. As adults, they would only be required to take our test, so old habits might outweigh new expectations?

Old 07-21-2014, 11:23 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,178 times
Remotely relevant, that's rich. It actually had quite a bit more relevancy than I believe you picked up on. Read it again and think about it....
My initial reply to your post was to not belittle you an to remain rude free given the sophomoric/illogical dissertation you delivered trying to prove your point.
There is no geographic collective mindset that reflects the nuances of driving slow in the fast lane. Motorists who do this are stupid and stupid does not recognize state boundaries.
As I stated prior, I have recently driven coast to coast (a total of 7 times in the past twenty years)
To imply that lane hogging is a regional/geographic oddity is absurd.
Your written dialogue does not float well.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:24 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
So my question is -- why is this left-lane driver phenomenon seemingly isolated to Virginia?
It most certainly isn't, and just because you hear a lot of people talk about it in NC and on auto forums doesn't make it so. Bring facts, not random assumptions.

Quote:
Is there something in the DMV laws in that state, or the process of driver education training that justifies or results in this selfish driving behavior?
No.

Quote:
Is it something that might change after a few people die in fiery collisions resulting from this driving pattern and newer car technology like PCS?
Remains to be seen. Come back after one this fiery collision happens somewhere.

Quote:
As far as "case closed", I don't think anyone appointed you judge in this court, so perhaps it's you that should move along.
You are correct, we are not the judges of this forum. But your hostile, nasty attitude will prevent others from responding. This case is likely closed, by default.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 AM

85 posts, read 103,773 times
Wow, this thread really went sideways.

I live in Pennsylvania but I drive in Virginia often. In my opinion, Virginia strictly enforces the speed limit on their interstate highways! I can "cruise" through Pennsylvania, New Jersey and other Northeastern states; but when I am in Virginia, I slow down. Perhaps the strong enforcement has people actually going slower overall; with generally more awareness of their speed, regardless of their lane?

Old 07-22-2014, 11:23 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valley slacker View Post
Wow, this thread really went sideways.

I live in Pennsylvania but I drive in Virginia often. In my opinion, Virginia strictly enforces the speed limit on their interstate highways! I can "cruise" through Pennsylvania, New Jersey and other Northeastern states; but when I am in Virginia, I slow down. Perhaps the strong enforcement has people actually going slower overall; with generally more awareness of their speed, regardless of their lane?
Driving at a reasonable speed on interstates is not a bad thing. That said, I see people flying all the time on VA interstates. I primarily drive 66 and 81. This is both VA and non VA tags.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:26 PM

553 posts, read 616,447 times
Remember, left-lane slowpokes aren't breaking the law in VA until they are signaled (via lights or horn) by a following car and fail to move over. From what I've seen on I-95 and I-64, it's just as likely that a faster following car would forego such signalling and simply perform a pass on the right (which is also legal in VA). To me, it seems that strict enforcement of the "move over" law would be fairly difficult to do unless it was the police themselves in the following car. It's much simpler (and probably more profitable) to just sit in the median/crossover and wait for the car going 85.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-25-2014 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 07-22-2014, 02:33 PM

637 posts, read 1,058,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
Remember, left-lane slowpokes aren't breaking the law in VA until they are signaled (via lights or horn) by a following car and fail to move over.
Right, but it's those that won't move after being signaled that will be on the hook for the fiery deaths that occur from folks passing them on the right with the pre-collisions systems that are the focus of this thread.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:46 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
Lol is this thread a joke. I was just on 495 today and came across someone who almost caused an accident because everyone was trying to go around them because they were going below the speed limit. Funny enough they had NC tags.

One of the things that annoys me when I visit my family in NC is everyone there drives like they have no where to go and drives super slow, so I find this thread to be quite comical but that's just my opinion.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:52 PM

637 posts, read 1,058,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Lol is this thread a joke. I was just on 495 today and came across someone who almost caused an accident because everyone was trying to go around them because they were going below the speed limit. Funny enough they had NC tags.

One of the things that annoys me when I visit my family in NC is everyone there drives like they have no where to go and drives super slow, so I find this thread to be quite comical but that's just my opinion.
I'm not going to deny there are idiot drivers in every state. I've just never seen anyone complaining about left lane campers in NC. And I've seen drivers with non-VA plates "catch the idiot bug" and start camping the left lane, like monkey-see monkey-do (i.e. it rubbed off on them).

[MOD CUT/off topic/rude]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-25-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 07:12 PM

553 posts, read 616,447 times
Quote:
Right, but it's those that won't move after being signaled that will be on the hook for the fiery deaths that occur from folks passing them on the right with the pre-collisions systems that are the focus of this thread.
Okay. Here's the entire text of that section of the law. The bold is my own added emphasis.

Quote:
§ 46.2-842.1. Drivers to give way to certain overtaking vehicles on divided highways.

It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway. On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so. A violation of this section shall not be construed as negligence per se in any civil action.

(1989, c. 708, § 46.1-211.1.)[/b]
Actually, on earlier readings, I missed the requirement that there be another vehicle that the offender must be "abreast". I guess the idea is that if there not a vehicle in the lane immediately to the right, the overtaking traffic has the option to pass using that lane. However, that means that the "left-lane slowpoke" is only on the hook by this law in a scenario where the driver cannot immediately respond to the follower's signal (since there's a 3rd vehicle that the slowpoke is abreast, which is occupying the space that could otherwise be used for moving over). There seems to be some wiggle room in the "as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely [move]" part, especially since the law only becomes relevant starting at a moment where it's unsafe to move over.

There is also this:

Quote:
§ 46.2-804. Special regulations applicable on highways laned for traffic.

Whenever any roadway has been divided into clearly marked lanes for traffic, drivers of vehicles shall obey the following:

1. Any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions existing, shall be driven in the lane nearest the right edge or right curb of the highway when such lane is available for travel except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or in preparation for a left turn or where right lanes are reserved for slow-moving traffic as permitted in this section;
This seems to be a stronger prohibition of being "slow" in the left lane, but what is the "normal speed of traffic"? The law seems clear in the case of, say, someone going 5 under the limit in left lane, where everyone is going faster. But what of the car that's going the speed limit in the left lane (on a highway with two lanes in each direction), when traffic in the right lane is also going the speed limit (or 2-3 under)? Seems like it's okay until a scenario fitting § 46.2-842.1 is created with faster traffic behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia