Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 06:51 PM

9 posts, read 15,838 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Chester but other than the location, I don't know much. Is there anything to do there, Movies, dining, or shopping? Or is it just residential and you have to go elsewhere for recreation? What's the difference between Chester and Mechanicsville? Both are right next to Richmond which should provide plenty of entertainment. So I envision these are towns to live in but not to play? Not a bad thing! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 05:52 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,066 times
Hmmm, for recreation you have the Point of Rocks county park, and Henricus, which is in the National Park System. Sometimes there are concerts in Village on The Green. If you go out a little farther to Chesterfield, you have Pocahontas State Park, which is the largest state park in Virginia. Lots of folks have activities through their church and subdivisions, and then of course our kids activities! Welcome to Chester and hope you enjoy your time here!

Old 07-31-2014, 08:11 AM

Default Moving to Chester? What's it really like and how does it compare to Mechanicsville?

Thanks for the reply! I haven't actually moved to Chester yet but I like to plan ahead. That's why I asked the question about Mechanicsville as well. I will be visiting the area in the fall and at that time I will have a first hand look. I'd also like to schedule some time with a realtor so I can see first hand what my housing options are for the area. At this point all information is a good thing as I try to get up to speed.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:07 AM

553 posts, read 616,806 times
For movies, the closest would be Regal Southpark 16 in Colonial Heights, 10-20 minutes away depending on your starting spot in Chester. There used to be a 6-screen theater on Jeff Davis Highway (US 1/301), but a CVS sits at that spot now.

For places to eat, there are a lot of the standard national chains in the area where 1/301 and I-95 meet State Route 10 (West Hundred Road). For independent options, I like Sapori (Italian) and Howlett's (American) near the Village Green and Divine (German/Euro Fusion) at Rivers Bend, as well as Don Pedro (Salvadorean) a little farther north up Jeff Davis near Bellwood. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the historic Halfway House restaurant just north of 288; it's a nice place for special occasions. The variety of restaurants is greater in other parts of the metro, though. (The last couple of places I mentioned technically aren't in Chester -- their addresses are "North Chesterfield" and had previously been "Richmond", though they weren't ever inside the city limits.)

By the way, you might want to post this in the Richmond subforum, as there are a number of users there who are knowledgeable about the area. I can't help you much with Mechanicsville; I was raised in Chester (and return there about twice a month to visit my mother) and my family's social circles kept us south of the James River for the most part. As you've guessed, Chester is very much a bedroom community. Also, IIRC, there aren't really any "towns" (in the official, incorporated sense, with town services like police) in the metro besides Ashland. There are four cities, and a bunch of unincorporated areas in the surrounding counties.

Last edited by jobber123rd; 07-31-2014 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-31-2014, 11:33 AM

Default Moving to Chester?

Hi Jobber:

Great feedback! Help me with the vernacular. What does "bedroom community" mean? Also, what does "IIRC" refer to?

Also did you like living in Chester?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:33 PM

553 posts, read 616,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamoozzz View Post
Hi Jobber:

Great feedback! Help me with the vernacular. What does "bedroom community" mean? Also, what does "IIRC" refer to?

Also did you like living in Chester?
IIRC = If I recall/remember correctly

"Bedroom community" means that it's mostly made up of residential and retail areas, with most of the residents commuting somewhere else for work (in this case, Richmond). To be fair to Chester, there's growth in business/industry lately with Meadowville Technology Park, though it seems that Chesterfield County plans to brand "Meadowville" as its own distinct "village".

Yes, I liked it in Chester. I'd likely still be living there if I'd found a job in my field south of the James or downtown, but getting into a software development position in RVA fresh out of college with no connections was pretty difficult. I ended up finding work in Virginia Beach.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:20 AM

Default More about Chester - Racial concerns

To Onevthoki and Jobber:

I appreciate all of your feedback. It really helps! Now I spent a while reading yesterday about a rebel flag going up in Chester. What I read made me feel funny so I'm asking both of you. Are there racial issues in Chester? Everything has sounded so nice but I need to know about this as well. Please don't be afraid to tell me like it is. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-10-2014, 05:36 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
Chester is pretty nice. There are no real tensions there. The flag thing is just a random act by people who's beef is with a museum complex 15 mikes away in the city of Richmond. It is too insignificant and dorky to get into...

Mechanicsville has better access into the city (well, it's a bit closer anyway). Both have about the same amenities. It is so easy to get anywhere around Richmond that where you live really doesn't limit your entertainment options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia