Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 01:16 PM

8 posts, read 44,626 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to West Chester for the good schools but am somewhat confused about the fact that the WC school system covers communities in 2 counties.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage of living in one county over the other for the school system (Chester or Delaware Counties)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 06:04 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,153,997 times
The parts of Delaware County that would be included in West Chester Schools are all pretty pricey e.g, Thornbury,Glen Mills,Edgmont. For lower property tax, more affordable housing you will have a much wider range to choose from in Chester County. Thats really the only pro/con I can see.

Both counties in that general area are upscale except for a few blocks of the town of West Chester itself and even those sections are pretty calm. But you have some nice middle/upper middle class neighborhoods in Chester County like West Goshen,Westtown and West Chester.

Good luck

Old 01-06-2008, 04:15 PM

27 posts, read 106,015 times
The major component of your taxes will be your school taxes. These will have the same basis whether you live in DE county or Chesco. The older the home you buy, the less the taxes will be. The real question is, where will you commute to? Do you need quick access to Baltimore Pike, 95, 202, Rt 3? Where is work?

West Chester school covers a big area. Narrow it down based on locations. Also, Rose Tree Media, Garnet Valley, Chadds Ford-Unionville are decent in their own right, depending on the criteria you choose.

A good Realtor can help you considerably in narrowing down your location, as no doubt can many on this board.

Best of luck!

Old 01-07-2008, 10:43 AM

8 posts, read 44,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multitasker Too View Post
The major component of your taxes will be your school taxes. These will have the same basis whether you live in DE county or Chesco. The older the home you buy, the less the taxes will be. The real question is, where will you commute to? Do you need quick access to Baltimore Pike, 95, 202, Rt 3? Where is work?

West Chester school covers a big area. Narrow it down based on locations. Also, Rose Tree Media, Garnet Valley, Chadds Ford-Unionville are decent in their own right, depending on the criteria you choose.

A good Realtor can help you considerably in narrowing down your location, as no doubt can many on this board.

Best of luck!
Thanks,

We've been looking for a few months but will probably buy sometime this Spring. We were originally looking in the Unionville school district but are somewhat scared by the fact that most of the homes in this area have septic systems. So, we've narrowed it down to West Chester schools in areas without septic systems. This seems to be areas close to route 202 in both Chester and Delaware counties. From what I've read the West Chester schools are almost as good as Unionville schools.

We've seen homes in the West Chester area which we like but were confused by the fact that the one school district covered areas in 2 different counties.

From your replies, it looks like it may not make a difference at all. Commuting is not a problem as most of my work will be from home.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:34 PM

27 posts, read 106,015 times
Default Septic Systems

Don't be scared of septic systems...just learn about them. There is an absolute wealth of info on line to be Googled.

Both septic systems and sewer systems have their own issues. This is frankly the first house we own that is connected to the sewer system. Our last house in this area was actually in Thornbury Township, DE county, WC schools and had a septic. You don't need to be a fraid of it, just get a really good inspection done. Find out about what sort of maintence has been done on the system, (like pumping it out,) and look into getting a lint filter on your clothes washer to trap the lint before it gets into the septic. Also, find out if hook ups to sewer are expected in the near future...it can be pricy! Be careful if the property you are looking at has been vacant, however. If the system is not in use, problems may be missed.

Even with sewer systems you have to worry about tree roots in the lines, causing back-up into the house if you don't keep it clear. Heavy rains can cause the same thing. You also have to watch the vent covers to make sure they are intact. One of ours had been broken off with the previous owner and we didn't know about it until sewerage backed out onto the lawn. Fortunately, our house is elevated off the street, so we didn't get any in the house. The pipe was blocked from broken plastic pieces. We were lucky that the guy who fixed it was able to just reach in with a tool and unblock it. We could have been facing excavation and relayment of pipe had the pipe been crushed or had the plastic pieces gone too far to be pulled out.

Home ownership is not for those without an emergency fund!

Old 01-24-2008, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,728 times
Default schools

I have gone to schools in both counties. Depending where in delco you are depends on the school and same with chester county. West chester school district contains 4 or 5 elementry schools and 3 middle schools and 3 high schools one they just opened last year. I personally enjoyed west chester. I now have chidren enrolled in the dowingtown school district and find that they ask way to much of kids in that district. plus they may go on strike soon. Unionville is ok i knew a few people that went there, and they were pretty neutral about it. theres 12 public school districts so you have plenty to choose from. i hope some of this info was helpful. and if you have any questions about a specfic school in the wcasd please contact me

Old 09-23-2010, 06:45 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,112,274 times
If I were in need of a school either elementary or college and if I were moving back to WC or Del County my choice would be where I used to live for 25 years before moving to Florida. Newtown Square would be my choice due to the schools, neighborhoods and the great Police force. Lower taxes there too as of 5 years ago...

I can clearly say that no other school district in either all of Chester COunty or all of Delaware county compares to the schools in the Broomall/Newtown Square District.
Also Newtown Square machine sweeps their streets....

Last edited by Synergy1; 09-23-2010 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-24-2010, 08:17 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,345,557 times
Please note that this thread was started in January of 2008 and the OP has not been back on this site since his last post on this thread.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:24 PM

7 posts, read 18,018 times
Hi!

You mentioned a few blocks in WC that aren't as nice as the rest of it. Which areas might those be? I'm moving to WC in two weeks and am currently looking at Highgate apartments off of WC Pike. Is that a good area?

CLB

Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,153,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candiace2008 View Post
Hi!

You mentioned a few blocks in WC that aren't as nice as the rest of it. Which areas might those be? I'm moving to WC in two weeks and am currently looking at Highgate apartments off of WC Pike. Is that a good area?

CLB

Yes.

You are a couple miles from the town of West Chester. Technically you may be in West Goshen. Very nice area.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia