Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 07:26 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times

Advertisements

Oh, and one more pro (or maybe a con, depending on your point of view ) There are a LOT of local breweries and a few vineyards in the area. Many people don't think of WBurg as being a place to have a big brewery scene, but there is a lot more to this town than just the colonial aspect. The vineyards are pretty but the breweries are more fun IMO. Billsburg has a nice deck overlooking the marina. Amber Ox is outstanding, and so are Alewerks and Virginia Beer Company.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 12-20-2017 at 07:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 10:36 AM

439 posts, read 425,769 times
Piney Creek, thank you for this information. I've messaged you with a few questions.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:07 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
Piney Creek, thank you for this information. I've messaged you with a few questions.
It's my pleasure. People helped me when I was looking and I'm happy to pay it forward.

Re: alternatives to taking the tunnel. We actually prefer taking the ferry across the James river and then driving down to VB the back way. It takes longer, but it's a nice drive. Plus the ferry is a hoot.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:34 PM

6 posts, read 5,914 times
Piney Creek, Ford's Colony is a HOA, correct? Most homes in the WB area are and I've been avoiding them because I'm concerned about the cost when major repairs are assessed and because the rules might bother me. For instance, I have 2 dogs and like a fenced in yard for them but most of the HOA homes I see have no fences which makes me wonder if fences are permitted, or if dogs are even permitted.

My father-in-law lived in a condo and the people there were all noseybodies looking to make life as difficult as possible. They constantly made up new rules to curtail what owners could do. That could be because they were all old, or it could be that those types of residence attract that type of person.

I'm afraid to buy into a HOA and then hate it.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:24 AM

7 posts, read 11,686 times
Any opinions on James Square area of Williamsburg? Noise, etc...

Old 04-07-2018, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 797 times
Angry looking for inexpensive area to retire in VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rperross View Post
VB has everything 15 to 30 min away, transportation, shopping, beaches, some culture,
West Neck has low noise, and supposedly doesnt flood.

What about that for williamsburg?

Moving from St Augustine Beach which has humidity six months a year. Looking for less humidity, and lower temps. Also tired of evacuating for hurricanes. SA doesnt have enough culture to draw on all year, since JAX too far (don't like to drive alot).

Also, wondering about Hampton tunnel. Is it really that frightening to drive.

Thanks for any input.
We retired to St. Augustine. I thought the city was beautiful. I was wrong. The bugs, gekkos, alligators and huge poisonous snakes sunning in my driveway, not to mention the caliber of the people, the hurricanes and tornadoes, blinding rainstorms...am I forgetting something? Two years later we moved back to Connecticut. Mistake. Cold, Cold Cold. Now looking for relatively inexpensive small home in a good retirement area in Va. Looked at Colonial Heritage and were warned to stay away because you pay too much for what you get. Now I'm wandering around the internet looking for a nice not too expensive place. Mountains are out. I live in a very developed community and 2 huge black bears ran right by my house when I was sitting on the front porch. Bottom line: are there any nice communities in VA near water that are not military camps?

Old 04-08-2018, 01:47 AM

998 posts, read 1,250,320 times
I wanted to give you some guidance/advice because we live in the Williamsburg area and LOVE it, but your last sentence/bottom line was quite unnecessary, nice communities near water that are not military camps, really?!

Good luck.....

Last edited by Poquoson7; 04-08-2018 at 02:06 AM..

Old 04-08-2018, 02:17 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
I wanted to give you some guidance/advice because we live in the Williamsburg area and LOVE it, but your last sentence/bottom line was quite unnecessary, nice communities near water that are not military camps, really?!

Good luck.....
I noticed that as well and knew it was a loaded, and unnecessary, comment.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:14 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyInPA View Post
Piney Creek, Ford's Colony is a HOA, correct? Most homes in the WB area are and I've been avoiding them because I'm concerned about the cost when major repairs are assessed and because the rules might bother me. For instance, I have 2 dogs and like a fenced in yard for them but most of the HOA homes I see have no fences which makes me wonder if fences are permitted, or if dogs are even permitted.

My father-in-law lived in a condo and the people there were all noseybodies looking to make life as difficult as possible. They constantly made up new rules to curtail what owners could do. That could be because they were all old, or it could be that those types of residence attract that type of person.

I'm afraid to buy into a HOA and then hate it.
Yes, that is a concern with me too looking toward the future but also even for moving around now. I like Virginia. Not too hot, not too cold, snow sometimes to make it pretty. Mountains on one side, ocean on the other side. A lot of country but also not too far from the action of northern Virginia and Washington DC and even places like Roanoke and Virginia Beach. I know Va has in its law the Property Owner Association Act. But I also hear from friends in Va that the act is great and covers a lot but there's really no one to enforce it as far as they see. And the law enforcement likes to keep hoa management happy and not get too involved. This is sometimes the situation all over though. Hoas keep people content at least to a degree with amenities that the local government doesn't have to pay to upkeep and patrol. Plus the local government still gets the same taxes from these hoa residents so they have it made.

On the other hand friends in a hoa were worried about a regular party crowd at an airbnb. It took a while but the board made the owners of that house stop their airbnb because it was against the hoa rules all along.

I wouldn't like to be restricted on pets or on fencing. Those are big things with hoas it seems.

I don't know where the hoa laws are on pets if you have a medical issue. Somewhere I read in that case the type animal and number can't be questioned but I don't know if that's everywhere.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:16 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I've said quite a bit, but there is plenty more to be said. For more info, read the two local papers (Virginia Gazette and my favorite wydaily). They're available online. also, there are several local FB pages. Look for ones that are about living in WBurg, which is very different from being a tourist to WBurg. And I will be happy to answer any question you might have. Since we just moved there I'm still very familiar with many of the neighborhoods, if that helps.
Thanks for all your great info, Piney Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia