Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2017, 07:24 AM

9 posts, read 6,254 times

Advertisements

Hello Virginia,

We moved to the Harrisonburg area a few months ago from Seattle. We love eating ethnic food and have found some great restaurants here and in Charlottesville, but none that have Dim Sum and we have not found any Chinese bakeries.

Does anyone have any suggestion of places anywhere in the state of Virginia, northern Va or Richmond that we could take a long weekend trip and include in our itinerary?

Thanks for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 01:57 PM

1,089 posts, read 2,667,343 times
NOVA your best bet.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:19 AM

9,895 posts, read 14,186,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
NOVA your best bet.
You aren't getting good dim sum in NoVA. Need to head to MD.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:40 AM

1,756 posts, read 2,417,067 times
NoVA is a great place to come if you want to try different ethnic foods. There are many Asian restaurants and shops to be found in close proximity.

Hong Kong Pearl in the Seven Corners Shopping Center in Falls Church is known for its Dim Sum. Seven Corners can be intimidating to drive into if you have never been through it. If you haven't, don't try during rush hours. Unless you know the area, I recommend approaching the shopping center coming from the east along Arlington or Wilson Blvd. The same shopping center also has Fortune - it has both Chinese and Vietnamese dishes and also has Dim Sum. It is supposed to be good, though I haven't tried it.

The Seven Corners Shopping Center is across the street from Eden Center, which is a center for Vietnamese shops, bakeries and restaurants, some of which are quite good. Phuoc Loc Bakery is in Eden Center. Supposedly they offer Chinese baked goods as well as Vietnamese.

For years, Mark's Duck House in Arlington on Rt 50 was an area favorite. That restaurant changed hands a few years ago and the quality isn't quite as good, but I still enjoy it.

If you enjoy ethnic food, Annandale is known for its Korean restaurants. I am a big fan of Korean BBQ and there are many places to try it. People argue over their favorites, but I enjoy Heebeen on Little River Turnpike. It's a buffet place so you can sample many different possibilities. Our area is known for Korean-owned supermarkets. They carry a large range of products for the Asian community and are known for excellent produce and prices. If you find something you like at Heebeen, you can probably find that kind of food frozen at the Grand Mart supermarket next door and take it home. Good for Asian spices, sauces etc. as well as cooking utensils if you want to try your hand at cooking Asian dishes at home. Some people are intimidated by Grand Mart as it is smelly and crowded and full of people who don't speak English. I love it because it has a fantastic variety of foods at good prices and features vendors cooking free food samples of different products. Grand Mart specializes in Asian groceries but also carries a selection of Latino products.

Speaking of supermarkets, Great Wall Supermarket is a large supermarket specializing in Chinese groceries. If I recall correctly, they have an in-house bakery. They are located just off the I-495 Beltway at the Route 50 exit. They have lots of supplies and many kinds of frozen entrees you can take home. They are next door to Uncle Liu's Hot Pot. That's a favorite of mine too as it offers the Chinese Hot Pot experience, which is hard to find in the US. That is similar to a Fondue, where diners cook their own raw meat and veg in hot soup. They offer several different soups - one of which is spicy. I love spicy but that is TOO spicy for me! I order a split pot - which has both mild and spicy soup separated. Uncle Liu's does not have the best rep as it is not particularly clean. Since I have lived off and on in the third world for many years, that doesn't bother me at all. It is a bit too "ethnic" for others, so use your own judgement based on your preferences.

Last edited by ersatz; 12-27-2017 at 06:18 AM..

Old 12-27-2017, 07:14 PM

457 posts, read 695,297 times
Full Kee in Richmond has good Dim Sum.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:40 PM

9 posts, read 6,254 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. I cant wait to make a weekend trip and head to Northern Virginia and then take separate trip to Richmond to try Full Kee.

I want to thank ersatz for the detailed information on different areas and shops to try. We love Hot pot! There are many hot pot places in Seattle and Bellevue area that we would frequent, so I am really excited to have some places to try. My husband is a Korean BBQ fan also.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to reply.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:10 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,417,067 times
If you enjoy Hot Pot, then you may remember Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot from Seattle. That chain has locations all over the US and there's one in the Eden Center too. I haven't tried it but I intend to!

I recommend reading through the CD thread Moving to NOVA; tell me about the food and Restaurant recommendations around IAD for further ideas.

Last edited by ersatz; 01-08-2018 at 10:33 PM..

Old 01-09-2018, 05:11 PM

457 posts, read 695,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDREAM2017 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I cant wait to make a weekend trip and head to Northern Virginia and then take separate trip to Richmond to try Full Kee.

I want to thank ersatz for the detailed information on different areas and shops to try. We love Hot pot! There are many hot pot places in Seattle and Bellevue area that we would frequent, so I am really excited to have some places to try. My husband is a Korean BBQ fan also.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to reply.
Make sure you get the pork buns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia