Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,422 times

Advertisements

Wow here's a rant... When I was a kid (early 90s) my parents took us on vacation to Shenandoah to get away from the city life of New Jersey... I loved it, it was real America, we visited the small towns nearby , Charlottesville, Lynchburg etc.. the town's had a real feel.... I just went back this week..... Ughhhhhhh what happened...strip malls, Kohl's and Vitamin Shoppes everywhere .... Every town is almost the same, Charlottesville is like I'm back in Jersey ughhhhhhhhhhh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 01:59 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky2094 View Post
Wow here's a rant... When I was a kid (early 90s) my parents took us on vacation to Shenandoah to get away from the city life of New Jersey... I loved it, it was real America, we visited the small towns nearby , Charlottesville, Lynchburg etc.. the town's had a real feel.... I just went back this week..... Ughhhhhhh what happened...strip malls, Kohl's and Vitamin Shoppes everywhere .... Every town is almost the same, Charlottesville is like I'm back in Jersey ughhhhhhhhhhh
I had the same impression when I took my family on vacation in the 1980's. I loved the Shenandoah Valley.

It seems more like a string of suburbs now, I guess, but there is nothing to be done about it. They have just as much a right to have their hometown lifestyle ruined by retail and fast food chains as the rest of us.

Have you been to Maine? I heard the Michigan UP is nice. There are still unspoiled spots of America east of the Mississippi, but they don't all have mountains like the Blue Ridge.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,422 times
Yes I know the population is booming, it's those cookie cutter house neighborhoods.... Ive been to Maine many times... I travel a lot throughout New England for work.. Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire are still very pretty , it must be those cold winter's that keeps people awayhaha

Old 04-26-2019, 02:17 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Like gender dysphoria, microaggressions, "wage gap," "manspreading," etc., etc.
I agree.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:20 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
charlottesville has exploded. rich people from the DC area retiring in the area is the most likely culprit. I live in staunton, which is about 40 minutes west of charlottesville, and I still love it. but yeah, it was probably better 20 years ago.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:23 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,194 times
Get back into the George Washington National forest and hike. You'll see parts of Virginia that haven't changed in thousands of years. Anyway, I've been traveling my home state for more than 50 years and I don't think it's changed that much. The DC suburbs keep expanding outwards. Same with Richmond. But the Shenandoah Valley? Maybe a few more burger joints on Rt. 11 but towns like Winchester, Front Royal, Harrisonburg, and Staunton haven't changed much at all in the 50+ years that I've traveled through them.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:46 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
I live in the Shenandoah Valley but 5 miles west of Edinburg. My home is surrounded by cattle, fields and mountain views. Much of this valley is still like this. Charlottesville has gone down hill as it has grown. Just got to visit the right place.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:49 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Get back into the George Washington National forest and hike. You'll see parts of Virginia that haven't changed in thousands of years. Anyway, I've been traveling my home state for more than 50 years and I don't think it's changed that much. The DC suburbs keep expanding outwards. Same with Richmond. But the Shenandoah Valley? Maybe a few more burger joints on Rt. 11 but towns like Winchester, Front Royal, Harrisonburg, and Staunton haven't changed much at all in the 50+ years that I've traveled through them.
I beg to differ. Those three towns have changed a lot. I retired from NOVA and now work in Front Royal. We looked around Winchester first but I didn't like how it was slowly becoming NOVA. I frequent Harrisonburg and Winchester and it feels good to get out of there and back into my slice of paradise. While they are still not NOVA they have changed a lot since I've lived here. (73)

Old 04-27-2019, 06:59 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky2094 View Post
I think the mainstream suburban shopping you now see was there but you weren't traveling to those areas and you didn't notice as a kid. Yes the cities have grown, most places do and what you see now is what most suburban localities will have. Did you really expect everything to stand still so it looks like an episode of the Walton's? As others have posted travel a few minutes out and the bucolic rural memories you have will be found.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:52 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,365 times
There is a lot more sprawl to be seen along 64 and 81 (and all of the main US routes) but it is still very pretty once you get a mile or so off of those roads in every direction.

As for Charlottesville, IMO (as a 49 year resident of the commonwealth), it has never been better. It is growing quickly but in the downtown area it is growing smartly. It’s becoming a much more cohesive, walkable city. UVA feels connected to downtown now (in the past it seemed like another town over, walking between the two was an absurd endeavor). . The dining and retail scene has become very good. There is an abundance of ethnic food. Scooter and bike rental options provide an energy that just wasn’t there as recently as 3 years ago. It doesn’t seem to be loosing any of its identity in the process either. It’s more inclusive and cosmopolitan these days but TJ would definitely approve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia