Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:17 PM

9 posts, read 17,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjteam View Post
The Blacksburg - Christiansburg area is very nice. With the market the way it is you can find a very affordable home in the area.
TechLab, Inc. is a company in the Corporate Research Center of Virginia Tech University in Blacksburg. They develop and manufacture diagnistic kits. So that may be a job option for your husband. Good luck!
It seems that everyone has mentioned Blacksburg so I will definitely research this area. Thanks for the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 12:22 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
Danville is not a very safe place so I would recomend Appomattox. Danville has an extreme lack of jobs.
Appomattox Virginia Real Estate * Country Estates * Historic Properties * Old Homes * Farms * Land * Rural Property

Yes, the job market is not fantastic, but better then Danville.
Thank you for the suggestons. I will check it out. Is Danville as a whole unsafe or certain areas? I've seen where they are trying to build up the economy there, is this true or wishful thinking? Appreciate the info.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:25 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,286 times
Lynchburg is also home to Progress Printing, the largest independent printing operation in Virginia.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:27 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,943 times
Danville and Pittsylvania County just bought 1,000 - 4,000 acres for the development of a hybrid car manufacturing facility. Now, whether or not they have a commitment from a car manufacturer is being kept a secret. It seems ridiculous to go to that expense without some form of commitment. But who knows in this economy.

Why aren't you considering Roanoke? In July, some friends of mine paid $95K for a 1950's 2 bedroom. It's a really cute house with hardwood floors and a half basement, and a big backyard w/ mature trees for shade. Plus, it is a 0.7 mile walk to Grandin Village:

Roanoke has you some environmental, military and medical device manufacturing jobs, that's for sure:

ITT awarded $174.7 million defense contract - Roanoke.com
WDBJ7 Roanoke News and Weather NRV Lynchburg Danville | ADM Micro switches Roanoke location
Stark invests in Virginia lens firm - The Business Journal of Milwaukee: (new startup)
Plastics One
Luna Innovations

Cheers,

Sean

Old 11-30-2008, 07:34 AM

Default Printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Lynchburg is also home to Progress Printing, the largest independent printing operation in Virginia.
Thanks for the suggestion. I read somewhere else in the forum where there is a company in Roanoke and another town. I can't remember if this is also Progress Printing or not but will do some research. Looks like we may be looking sooner than later. Rumor has it that they may be closing the medical facility where my husband works. If so he might be able to transfer to Boston or Miami but we have no interest in doing that.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:00 AM

Actually, we're becoming convinced that Roanoke or Lynchburg would be better for us. It sounds like there are a lot more job opportunities and Roanoke wouldn't be that far from our friends in Danville. Everyone here on this forum has been so helpful. We really appreciate it. If they shut down the medical facility where my husband works like the rumors are flying we will have to move. It will devastate this little town and surrounding counties. There will also be tons of jobs lost in the auto industry in nearby counties in Indiana. Most people would have to commute to Indianapolis for good jobs but some of them might be temporary. We got the bid for the Superbowl in a few years and the Colts and the Indianapolis Speedway bring a lot of money in. If the company my husband works for decides to stay here we will probably stay put with the economy in the shape it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia