Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 09:34 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,572,819 times

Advertisements

Some Police threaten to quit if McAuliffe wins.
(yankee — are ABC and NBC news affiliates liberal enough for you?)

https://wset.com/news/local/law-enfo...ntral-virginia

Quote:
“Some sheriffs in Central Virginia are ready to tell you why they do not support Democrat Terry McAuliffe for governor.
They say they want someone they can rely on to have their back in Richmond. They claim to have that assurance with Glenn Youngkin, not Terry McAuliffe.

…Viar and Bedford County Sheriff Mike Miller say they are nervous for the future of law enforcement under a McAuliffe administration.
Lord, help us," Viar said. "I've heard so many police officers say that if he wins, they're going to retire. That's scary. That's really scary."

Homicides hit highest rate in Virginia in two decades
https://www.nbc12.com/2021/06/07/hom...s-two-decades/

Albermarle county homicide rates highest since 2017
https://dailyprogress.com/news/crime...29c714039.html

Last edited by mountainrose; 10-31-2021 at 09:45 AM..

Old 10-31-2021, 10:04 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
Yankee, you are being disingenuous.

McAuliffe proudly accepted an endorsement by the New Virginia Majority, a group which holds central the idea of defunding the police.

Now McAuliffe denied he knew about these allegations at his raucous round table event with a bunch of sheriffs, where he yelled at one.

So you could give him the benefit of doubt there but the fact that he refused to turn down their endorsement after finding out about their agenda, shows that he cares little about actually clarifying his stance, whatever that may be.
And Red I asked where that statement was made and those are the links he provided. As for your reference to the "New Virginia Majority" try reading their website and find the statement you made, I couldn't. But I know it was on social media somewhere so it must be factual.

I have not seen your candidate turn down any endorsement, especially from the former President. He may not attend but he doesn't denounce his actions on losing, the insurrection of January 6th (lets not forget the flag). If you want to start listing statements that have been made at some point in a persons history that are just wrong, he is the poster child for it.

Could McAuliffe "clarifying his stance," as you put it when he is being blamed for everything even though he hasn't been in office since 2018. You forget the people chose him not the party unlike Youngkin who the GOP leadership picked you didn't have a say about it . Their record has been to pick T-Party hacks for the last 2 Governors races which as you see hasn't worked for them and now they have picked the same, but he is trying to present himself as a moderate.

He is promoted as a business leader can you or anyone provide insight on many jobs he has created, seems that would be a major talking point in the commercials but you hear nothing.

Old 10-31-2021, 10:11 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
It is still hard to believe McAuliffe brought Biden in to stump for him. Not only is Biden an albatross for the Dems (no shocker there), Biden’s actual speech was a slurring mess punctuated 25 times with Trump’s name. The old duffer had no idea who McAuliffe’s opponent is (and probably no idea who McAuliffe is for that matter).

Elder abuse is not an attractive quality.
Agree, I wouldn't march out Biden to mumble a few words in support of me no matter what Party I was representing. He appears frail and unhealthy, and he's a lame duck with a poor record of getting anything done.

Old 10-31-2021, 10:18 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Some Police threaten to quit if McAuliffe wins.
(yankee — are ABC and NBC news affiliates liberal enough for you?)

https://wset.com/news/local/law-enfo...ntral-virginia

Quote:
“Some sheriffs in Central Virginia are ready to tell you why they do not support Democrat Terry McAuliffe for governor.
They say they want someone they can rely on to have their back in Richmond. They claim to have that assurance with Glenn Youngkin, not Terry McAuliffe.

…Viar and Bedford County Sheriff Mike Miller say they are nervous for the future of law enforcement under a McAuliffe administration.
Lord, help us," Viar said. "I've heard so many police officers say that if he wins, they're going to retire. That's scary. That's really scary."

Homicides hit highest rate in Virginia in two decades
https://www.nbc12.com/2021/06/07/hom...s-two-decades/

Albermarle county homicide rates highest since 2017
https://dailyprogress.com/news/crime...29c714039.html
Very good links and as to their assertions that is their choice, the sad part is they choose politics over their commitment, but I forget, Sheriffs are an elected official and as such have to choose a side. Seeing the more rural nature of the communities represent I am not surprise where their support falls. I'm sure if elected officials made similar statements over Youngkins winning the respond would be something along the lines of "good , don't let the door hit you on the a** when you leave"..

Homicides are up and surprisingly "Henry County, a jurisdiction of 55,000 along the North Carolina border, saw one of the biggest percentage increases.". That's solid red country, GOP Sherriff and everything else I guess party in charge of the area really doesn't make a difference. So what's your point neither article state that there has been defunding/reduction of law enforcement. I've yet to see any community in the state that is defunding the police or reducing their force.

Old 10-31-2021, 12:08 PM

93 posts, read 265,169 times
I honestly feel like neither side "deserves" to win this election.

From my username you can tell where I'm originally from, and yes I'm a lifelong (moderate) Democrat. But, objectively speaking, I think that Democrats having unified control of state government for the first time in decades (and for the first time in probably forever, unified Democratic control representing a more liberal point of view) has lead to some degree of overreach. Especially in this ancestrally conservative state. And I do understand/appreciate some the benefits of living in a historically "red" state (such as a leaner, more efficient non-unionized public sector, less random laws/regulations impacting daily life). Had Republicans played their hand right, I think that this could have been an "ace-in-the-hole" type of election for them.

But Youngkin's playing coy with Trump's "big lie" election fraud claims tells me all that I need to know about him. Refusing to stand up for the truth means giving in to fear of Trump and his supporters, and says to me that Youngkin would just end up being another Trump enabler if/when it counts. Given that Trump attempted a coup on the US Government and could very well try again, another Trump-enabling governor is the last thing I think this country needs.

I'll take Democratic overreach on a few annoying issues over a man that can't be trusted to take a leadership role to protect democracy. McAuliffe's got my vote.

Old 10-31-2021, 05:31 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Newsflash: Younkin is not President Trump anymore than the bimbos currently in the white house have any moral compass.

Virginia: Do the right thing - You know, Virginia housekeeping.

Old 10-31-2021, 09:02 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHboston View Post
I honestly feel like neither side "deserves" to win this election.

From my username you can tell where I'm originally from, and yes I'm a lifelong (moderate) Democrat. But, objectively speaking, I think that Democrats having unified control of state government for the first time in decades (and for the first time in probably forever, unified Democratic control representing a more liberal point of view) has lead to some degree of overreach. Especially in this ancestrally conservative state. And I do understand/appreciate some the benefits of living in a historically "red" state (such as a leaner, more efficient non-unionized public sector, less random laws/regulations impacting daily life). Had Republicans played their hand right, I think that this could have been an "ace-in-the-hole" type of election for them.

But Youngkin's playing coy with Trump's "big lie" election fraud claims tells me all that I need to know about him. Refusing to stand up for the truth means giving in to fear of Trump and his supporters, and says to me that Youngkin would just end up being another Trump enabler if/when it counts. Given that Trump attempted a coup on the US Government and could very well try again, another Trump-enabling governor is the last thing I think this country needs.

I'll take Democratic overreach on a few annoying issues over a man that can't be trusted to take a leadership role to protect democracy. McAuliffe's got my vote.
Per the bolded --- Seriously, you need to get a grip:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fb...n-6/ar-AANxOuQ

Old 11-01-2021, 02:12 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
Ahh the politically neutral Washington Examiner... how about the equally politically neutral Washington Post.. While it's behind a paywall, this twitter account does a fine job of including some quotes

https://twitter.com/magi_jay/status/...996631555?s=21

And surely if this was all much ado about nothing on Jan 6th, the former administration wouldn't be suing the National Archives to not release correspondence in and around that day, along with close associates to the former president dodging subpoenas, etc
Are you denying that the FBI said there was no "insurrection'?

Old 11-01-2021, 04:55 AM

93 posts, read 265,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Per the bolded --- Seriously, you need to get a grip:

"Get a grip?" Lol. What is the definition of an attempted coup? Attempting to seize or stay in power without being duly elected.

January 6th aside, what did Trump do from the election until he left office? Lied about the results, launch dozens of lawsuits, put a pressure campaign on Republican officials to avoid certifying the results... as an an attempt to stay in power.

Sure, we're not used to hearing words like "coup" in the US but it's exactly what it was, even without January 6th.

Side note, I had a coworker who was originally from a third-world country in Africa where democracy doesn't work and things are constantly in chaos because people won't accept election results and someone just ends up seizing power. Watching Trump's behavior after the election, even before January 6th, he was basically like, man I thought I escaped this and now it's happening here too.

I think maybe Trump supporters feel "insulated" from what was really happening because they agree with Trump politically and wouldn't have minded him staying in power. But for the rest of us, it was pretty damn terrifying.

Old 11-01-2021, 05:51 AM

346 posts, read 229,730 times
Unfortunately for the Democrats, their entire messaging this election has been 'Trump' and 'remember the Jan 6th', etc.

Most of us have moved on from that. I could care less about any of that now. The perpetrators of the attack have already been brought to justice and Trump is no longer president.

Now we're experiencing the ineptitude of the overreaching Biden admin, so this is where our frustration lies currently. Not Trump.

No one cares that you think Youngkin is like Trump, only hardcore Democrats who would never vote for a Republican and neocon Republicans like Bill Kristol, who prefer establishment hacks, do.

There is also nothing wrong with being 'Trump-endorsed'. Hell, even McAuliffe was Trump-endorsed when he last ran for Governor and received a 25k donation from him.

---

We care about a government that works for the people, stays out of our business and does not do tyrannical things like unconstitutional mandates.

^ That's why Youngkin is surging. McAuliffe now realizes this that he has reverted course and no longer says this election is about Trump. What a fool!

Last edited by rural & red; 11-01-2021 at 06:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia