Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 17,512 times

Advertisements

I am looking into the possibility of reopening the Keysville drive-in theater and would like to hear from local people on there feeling of the theater reopening ..such as history, previous owner's , old pictures of theater and how people in general feel about it reopening and if they feel it would draw enough people to keep it open..this will be for family type movie's only..any input ,advice ,or feeling about this would be greatly appreciated..thank's...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 09:04 AM

94 posts, read 388,977 times
Drive-ins of Virginia :-: VA :-: Drive-in movies cinemas Driveins theatres films of Virginia

Has info on all past and present drive-in movie theaters in the state of VA. Love going out to the Fork Union one - they are so much fun and way cheaper than the real movie theater. I guess people want all the high-tech stuff now, maybe that is why they went out of business.

Tips: Have more than 1 toilet - that is the only downside to the Fork Union one. Be generous with your concession stand (Fork Union is on the cheap!)

Would I make it out to Keysville? Hmm probaby but that is just b/c I enjoy a good country drive - but its pretty far from VA Beach and from back home in Nelson County. I guess Farmville is nearby? I would think having a drive-in within a hour to a major area (richmond, cville, etc) might fare better, but I am not from that part of VA so I don't know...

Good luck! Would love to see more drive-ins open in VA!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:23 AM

Thank's much for your input, and farmville is about 19 miles away..mention my post if you know people up that way...thank's again..

Old 09-08-2008, 05:01 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
I visited my family last week in Red Oak, about 20 miles south of Keysville. Turned out that they know the family of the previous owners. As far as my folks knew, the theater simply didn't generate enough business to stay open. The area is sparsely populated, and many of the people who do live there are not the type to go out at night for entertainment. My folks don't like to drive at night at all, and many of their neighbors feel the same way. Satellite TV may have destroyed the market for a business like the Keysville Drive-In.

Of course, your research may have found a demand that my folks aren't aware of.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:24 PM

743 posts, read 3,901,098 times
I was actually thinking of drive-in's a couple weeks ago. There are still several in Western VA, and along I-81... but there's none at all along I-95, around NoVa, Richmond, or VA Beach. All have closed, and I think if one were to open close to the highway (relatively), people would probably drive a decent distance to get there.

One thing to think about is switching the drive-in to a digital projector. It would be a bit expencive, but you get a MUCH better picture, and you're more likely to get new movies (Everything is slowly switching to digital)

Anyways, I even have a location in mind... let me know if you're interested. If you're only looking at that one drive-in, then good luck to you! Drive-ins are having a slight rebound. I have more ideas if you're interested.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:34 PM

94 posts, read 388,977 times
x2 on that above post. Put it in the right place and I think people will come - Fork Union stays PACKED in the summer every time I've been there.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:23 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,222,175 times
There is a United Drive-In Theatres Owners Association. Do a search on Google and visit this trade organization's website. I would think this organization might be able to give you some guidance.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:40 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
The closest one to me is the Family Drive-In in Stephens City, VA. It is just around an hour away. We used to go maybe a couple of times in the summer...take the convertible and my son for a nice summer drive, but the cost of gas kind of made us take a second look at making the trip.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:14 AM

thanks for reading..you have location in mind? I might be interested and like to hear from you about it...

Old 09-23-2008, 06:27 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,066 times
I think the only thing that saved me from a life of juvenile shenanigans is that the Grove Drive-In in Nottoway County blew over in the late '80s from a tornado - go figure!

Anyway, if you are leaning towards making it family-friendly, I would definitely look into having off-duty sheriff's for security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia