Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:49 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,340,819 times

Advertisements

You don't call VCU or ODU division 1? I understand people from Philly and Chicago identifying with their city more than their state, but Northern Virginia isn't like those metros. NOVA only exists because of DC and it's only purpose is to allow a better place to live/ do business than it's neighbor DC. DC can't build tall, so they put the skyscrapers in Rosslyn, it's not too many middle class/ upper class neighborhoods in D.C. so people live in NoVa etc. The people seem stuck up, overly cosmopolitan, and it just feels nothing like the Virginia I know. LOL I think Civilization ends west of Richmond too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:07 PM

353 posts, read 905,541 times
If by different you mean that one is affordable and one is not- then yes, it is really "THAT" different.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:27 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Well to get back on-topic I can safely assure you that Richmond and Northern Virginia (NoVA) are indeed two very different places. NoVA "Inside the Beltway" is a great model for sustainable urban development that should be emulated by communities across America. Arlington is consistently rated as one of America's "Best Places," and its extreme focus on walkability and transit-oriented development has really helped it to earn that title. Old Town Alexandria is quite possibly one of the most gorgeous historic neighborhoods I've ever had the pleasure of touring; it reminded me very much of Olde City Philadelphia. Those of you Antebellum-seekers would feel quite at home in a place like Old Town Alexandria or parts of Arlington and may even feel like you haven't left the historic portions of Richmond.

The bad? Despite the higher salaries offered in NoVA the cost-of-living is still just a tad too high to afford one a comfortable lifestyle. Back in Scranton my cousin and her boyfriend (likely eventual husband) are enrolling in medical school and are already looking to purchase their own home together. In most parts of the country if you're a dually-employed college-educated couple in your early-to-mid-20s, you CAN comfortably afford your own home. In NoVA even my own boss, who earns a salary of nearly $100,000, lives in an apartment in Alexandria with a sibling. I earn a salary of around $42,000 and feel very, very lower-middle-class here, even though that same salary in many other areas would permit you to live comfortably. You'll always get the smug types on the NoVA sub-forum saying "Well that is the price one must pay in order to live here..." (as if NoVA is comparable to the Garden of Eden or something), but at least for me 95% of NoVA OUTSIDE the Beltway is abhorrent---tacky cookie-cutter sprawl, chain restaurants, big-box stores, traffic congestion, people trying to "prove themselves" by buying fancy cars and wearing fancy clothes, etc.

If you are looking to replicate Richmond, a largely middle-class city with an aura of history and a non-smug attitude, you'll have plentiful options in NoVA---but I'd respectfully NOT recommend most of both Fairfax County or Loudoun County for that. Places like Winchester, Culpeper, Lovettsville, Purcellville, Fredericksburg, and a few other areas still have that polite down-to-earth feeling. I really don't get that though where I live (Reston) or where I work (Tyson's Corner). Both places just feel like a depressing rat-race devoid of charm or character. You're chained to your vehicle due to the lack of walkability, many (not all) people are too concerned with upstaging each other financially, and patronizing chains is pretty much a way of life. It's very disappointing.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:25 PM

47 posts, read 97,231 times
ScranBarre is an expert, he's lived here for 2 months.

I'm from Charlottesville and have lived here since graduating in 2006. I've lived in Herndon and now live in Mclean (really actually tysons). I've worked in Tysons, Herndon and now Springfield. I don't think Scranny will find an area he likes until he finally migrates to Dupont Circle in DC. I definitely have my issues with this area, but after seeing the 'burbs of many other large cities, I'd take NoVa in a heartbeat. Richmond is nice (see the Fan district, that sweet island accessible via the pedestrian bridge and monument ave), however, many parts of it are just as trashy as the neighboring tidewater/norfolk areas. If you are a big fan of two major subcultures (camaro driving mullet wearers/ghetto trash), than Richmond is for you. Keep trashing NoVa, but remember to thank us when you get a nice 4 lane highway to nowhere.

oh, and Scranny, keep the hate alive. One day you'll find your mecca...

Old 08-09-2009, 03:33 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cville<>centerville View Post
ScranBarre is an expert, he's lived here for 2 months.

oh, and Scranny, keep the hate alive. One day you'll find your mecca...
Yes, and keep your attitude alive too!

Old 08-11-2009, 01:32 PM

34 posts, read 39,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
Hey all I've been in Richmond all my life, 2 decades. I've visited DC about 3-5 times including school field trips. Is living in Northern VA/DC really that much different? By different I mean better. I hear it is a lot more busy, a lot more diverse and a lot better over all. They even have a subway?! However I hear just as many bad things about the DC/Maryland area as well, mainly about crime.

Over all is Northern VA that much more different than Richmond VA? Is it for the good or bad? I am interested in the medical field.. How wise would it be to look into Northern VA even if I want to completely get away from Richmond? I ask this because people talk of Northern VA like it is a completely different state from rest of us..

The crime rates in DC and parts of MD are considerably higher than in most sections of NOVA. Richmond probably has a considerably higher crime rate than Fairfax or Prince William.

Traffic is NOVA is heavier during rush hour than Richmond. You are closer to the beach in Richmond. I come to Richmond often to enjoy the city and a different flavor than the DC area. Its only 90 minutes away.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:35 PM

34 posts, read 39,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Well to get back on-topic I can safely assure you that Richmond and Northern Virginia (NoVA) are indeed two very different places. NoVA "Inside the Beltway" is a great model for sustainable urban development that should be emulated by communities across America. Arlington is consistently rated as one of America's "Best Places," and its extreme focus on walkability and transit-oriented development has really helped it to earn that title. Old Town Alexandria is quite possibly one of the most gorgeous historic neighborhoods I've ever had the pleasure of touring; it reminded me very much of Olde City Philadelphia. Those of you Antebellum-seekers would feel quite at home in a place like Old Town Alexandria or parts of Arlington and may even feel like you haven't left the historic portions of Richmond.

The bad? Despite the higher salaries offered in NoVA the cost-of-living is still just a tad too high to afford one a comfortable lifestyle. Back in Scranton my cousin and her boyfriend (likely eventual husband) are enrolling in medical school and are already looking to purchase their own home together. In most parts of the country if you're a dually-employed college-educated couple in your early-to-mid-20s, you CAN comfortably afford your own home. In NoVA even my own boss, who earns a salary of nearly $100,000, lives in an apartment in Alexandria with a sibling. I earn a salary of around $42,000 and feel very, very lower-middle-class here, even though that same salary in many other areas would permit you to live comfortably. You'll always get the smug types on the NoVA sub-forum saying "Well that is the price one must pay in order to live here..." (as if NoVA is comparable to the Garden of Eden or something), but at least for me 95% of NoVA OUTSIDE the Beltway is abhorrent---tacky cookie-cutter sprawl, chain restaurants, big-box stores, traffic congestion, people trying to "prove themselves" by buying fancy cars and wearing fancy clothes, etc.

If you are looking to replicate Richmond, a largely middle-class city with an aura of history and a non-smug attitude, you'll have plentiful options in NoVA---but I'd respectfully NOT recommend most of both Fairfax County or Loudoun County for that. Places like Winchester, Culpeper, Lovettsville, Purcellville, Fredericksburg, and a few other areas still have that polite down-to-earth feeling. I really don't get that though where I live (Reston) or where I work (Tyson's Corner). Both places just feel like a depressing rat-race devoid of charm or character. You're chained to your vehicle due to the lack of walkability, many (not all) people are too concerned with upstaging each other financially, and patronizing chains is pretty much a way of life. It's very disappointing.

Sounds like your boss doenst know how to manage his money.

I hope you find happiness someday my friend.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:44 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,488 times
I was born in Richmond but lived in Nova most of my life. When I was younger, I made the unfortunate mistake of going to college in Richmond. I lived there for five years. It takes awhile to get the feel of a place. It is not just the way a place looks but also the "feel" of a place. Northern Virginia has a faster pace, a cosmopolitan feel, whereas Richmond has a small minded, southern conservative type attitude. There is no where near the culture or city atmosphere in Richmond. In addition it is very low key and frankly rather boring. Northern Virginia has D.C. and its many areas such as Georgetown, Old Town, Adams Morgan, Arlington etc. It also has a great transit system, unlike Richmond. Richmond is very old school and dull, dull! The general attitude there is very closeminded. There also very few job opportunities there. Sure you can buy a house or rent an apartment for less, but you will recieve less. You get what you pay for. Nova/DC has better jobs, salaries, education and diversity. Yes it does have issues with traffic, illegal immigration and the like, but overall it is so much better and livable. I have not been back to Richmond in fifteen years and I hear it has not changed much. I have no desire to go back.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:50 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,488 times
HA! I love your description of camaro driving, mullet wearing Richmonders! It is so true. You cannot compare Richmond with Arlington, VA. Arlington has done amazing renovations and created a modern urban area, but kept some of the old. Nova area is so interesting because of the unique areas like Dupont Circle, Arlington, Old Town, Adams Morgan, Arlandria.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:09 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Well to get back on-topic I can safely assure you that Richmond and Northern Virginia (NoVA) are indeed two very different places. Old Town Alexandria is quite possibly one of the most gorgeous historic neighborhoods I've ever had the pleasure of touring; it reminded me very much of Olde City Philadelphia. Those of you Antebellum-seekers would feel quite at home in a place like Old Town Alexandria or parts of Arlington and may even feel like you haven't left the historic portions of Richmond.

The bad? Despite the higher salaries offered in NoVA the cost-of-living is still just a tad too high to afford one a comfortable lifestyle. In most parts of the country if you're a dually-employed college-educated couple in your early-to-mid-20s, you CAN comfortably afford your own home. I earn a salary of around $42,000 and feel very, very lower-middle-class here, even though that same salary in many other areas would permit you to live comfortably. You'll always get the smug types on the NoVA sub-forum saying "Well that is the price one must pay in order to live here..." (as if NoVA is comparable to the Garden of Eden or something), but at least for me 95% of NoVA OUTSIDE the Beltway is abhorrent---tacky cookie-cutter sprawl, chain restaurants, big-box stores, traffic congestion, people trying to "prove themselves" by buying fancy cars and wearing fancy clothes, etc.

I really don't get that though where I live (Reston) or where I work (Tyson's Corner). Both places just feel like a depressing rat-race devoid of charm or character.
Both agree and disagree with some of the points. Yeah haven't spent a lot of time in Richmond but won't argue. Went interviewing for a roommate and the guy was from Richmond. A little older and boy oh boy was he southern. He was a nice guy we could "sit down and talk like folk" as they say in the country.

Old Town to me doesn't feel antebellum. When I think antebellum I think Savannah or Charleston. Old Town has more of a colonial feel.

Most people in their early to mid 20s can't buy houses. Most people when they get out of college aren't earning a lot of money no matter where they live. Personally, I say placing too much value on home ownership is what's gotten this country in so much financial mess but that's just me. Home ownership particularly with a yard and a short commute is not a right. I say be glad you have a roof over head.

I mean $42K a year isn't great in this area but it's not poverty stricken either. There are people trying to raise kids on far less over in PG county and SE DC.

I agree that Tysons Corner doesn't have much charm. I'm not a fan. They say part of the problem with the traffic there is that so many people work there but not many actually live there. Actually I can't say that I blame them. Who wants to live in an Office Park? On the other hand I fell in love with Reston when I first laid eyes on it. It's pleasant has neat contemporary style houses with lots of trees.

Personally, yes Northern Virginia is definitely different from the rest of the state. It's so far from Southern. When I got off the freeway for the first time after driving 12 hours to get here I thought to myself "you're in the north now!" I always get irritated when folks try to say NoVA is southern. I'm like are you kidding? Where's the fresh okra at the fast food place or at the grocery store deli. Where's the catfish for $3 a pound at Winn Dixie (grocery store)? Why do some people look at me funny if I say "Oh y'all fixin' to head on?" or better yet "Oh I ain't studyin' that mess." or even "Oh thank y'all." (How else would you thank more than one person?) So without knowing Richmond too well I'd say that the lack of southernness is the main difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia