Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 04:10 AM

2 posts, read 8,857 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Virginia from Australia in a few months time and trying to decide where to rent. My Husband is posted to Fort Lee, but will be working at Fort Eustis for six months initially, and we have been considering property in Providence Forge.
We have a (very spirited) two year old daughter and my main concern is the range of facilities - childcare, kinder, swimming lessons - available in and around a place like Providence Forge.
My husband likes the idea of living between the two bases but I feel somewhere like Chesterfield would offer more for my daughter and I.
We have between $1800 - $2200 per month for rent and as my husband will be away at times, a location with a safe, family feel is a top priority.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
HeidiSquire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 08:55 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,066 times
Heidi -

Chesterfield is a more developed county than New Kent and may present easier access to many of the ammenities you mentioned, especially for year-round access. My husband is also at Fort Lee and we chose Chesterfield for those same reasons.

And you should have no trouble finding a rental in the amount you mentioned.

If you have any other specific questions just let us know!

Old 03-31-2009, 11:32 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,784 times
It depends on where in Chesterfield. I would totally recommend the Chester area of Chesterfield its very close to Ft. Lee and there are many great neighborhoods for your child to have acess to everything you mentioned. Lots of Miliatary families call Chester home. I feel other areas of Chesterfield like for example Midlothian will be too far from Ft. Lee for you. New Kent is building up and its a great place to live but I think its a little too undeveloped for your tastes. You could also look in Colonial Heights. It just seems to me though Chester should be on the top of your list! Good Luck!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:39 AM

19 posts, read 85,620 times
Hi
I think Chesterfield.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:08 PM

283 posts, read 652,893 times
New Kent has traditionally been a farming community with very few services. It has recently seen some growth, but must still be considered minor league. It is a nice, safe, sleepy area but you might find it boring and lacking in services. Chesterfield county is a huge county, but as a general rule has more development and services than New Kent. Some of the county is rural and some is quite densely populated. The schools are also much better than what you will find in New Kent. Chesterfield is a bedroom community for Richmond city and is also a nice place to live. Fort Lee is expanding and real estate prices in the area should rise. Rents should also be going up and rentals may become harder to find. If you are going to be in the area for an extended period of time, you may want to consider buying instead of renting. Good luck in your search and thanks for your service to our country.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:16 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
chester would be my pick,but if your husband has to drive to ft eustis for 6 months it will be rough. but the commute from new kent to ft lee isnt that bad about a 1/2 hr. the east end of henrico has a new shopping /mall at I-64 and Laburnum.

i

Old 04-09-2009, 02:05 AM

11 posts, read 51,356 times
NEW KENT! Alot better schools...MUCH less crime....Then again anywhere is better that inside the CITY of Richmond or Petersburg...from a crime perspective

Old 04-09-2009, 06:26 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeVA View Post
NEW KENT! Alot better schools...MUCH less crime....Then again anywhere is better that inside the CITY of Richmond or Petersburg...from a crime perspective
I wouldnt totally agree with that. True parts of Chesterfield are less desierable than others but Chesterfield has some wonderful communities located throughout the county ie: Brandermill, Woodlake, Rivers Bend, Charter Colony, Fox Creek and others that are very safe and have some of the best schools in the state. I have no ties to Chesterfield but feel it is a great place to raise a family. As far as New Kent; I can say much of the same except I wouldnt agree the schools are better. They are both very different areas. As far as the city itself I wouldnt totally agree with that either. While its true the more urban areas have more crime; There are nice neighborhoods in the City of Richmond as well ie: Windor Farms, Historic Church Hill, Museam District, The fan, Carytown and others. Just a whole different flow and feel to them than both Chesterfield and New Kent. I dont know much about Petersburg but I hear the historic portion of downtown is being transformed into an artsy upscale area. It just depends on what you want out of a place and where one feels comfortable living.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:41 AM

2 posts, read 8,857 times
G'day All,

Thank you so much for your replies, it has been very helpful. We are continuing our search for a place to live and are looking forward to our American experience in Virginia!

If anyone knows of any good real estate websites to view that have rental properties for the Chester / Chesterfield region, it would be greatly appreciated if you could pass them on.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia