Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:08 PM

12 posts, read 20,943 times

Advertisements

I have a couple of questions concerning relocating to Virginia. My family and I are from Lake Charles, LA and are interested in relocating out of our city because it is getting really bad. We have been trying to look into relocating to Tennessee, but the economy is very bad up there right now.

We were just wandering which part of Virginia is doing pretty good as far as the job market goes and which parts are not as competitive? We are interested in Richmond area or Virginia Beach. My mom and I are just asking because we are looking to go back to work as soon as possible. We graduate last year and have been looking for work nonstop since the recession started. I also lost my father a few years back from liver failure. We have been trying to get back on our feet since his death. We have looked all over Louisiana and we are not getting calls for any positions. We are also trying to relocate out of LA before hurricane season. I will really appreciate any responses from anyone. We are very nice and good people who just trying to make it day to day.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 06:31 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
There are tons of jobs in Northern Virginia, the drawback is the cost of living is very high and the traffic is horrible.

What job fields are you looking to transition into?

Old 05-08-2009, 04:37 PM

Thank you for the response to my post. I actually have been trying to look for work in computer programming since I have an associate degree in that area. The only problem I have is that I cannot find a job that is entry level. My mother is also wanting to become a math teacher, but she feels that teaching is not for her anymore. The tests are costing her too much money for her she said.

We are actually thinking about going back to school for medical assistant in a few weeks. The medical field seems to be the way to go so far. My brother is also trying to look for a college for library science or electrician. Well, thank you very much for your help.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:21 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
I'm only familiar with NOVA since I've lived here for so long, but there are a lot of technology companies in the area. There is an area that is called the Dulles Tech Corridor (Dulles Technology Corridor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). There are many tech companies in that region. Also because of the proximity to DC, the gov't and the Pentagon employ a lot of IT folks. I do IT too, but not programming so I can't really be of much help.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:44 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,263 times
If you move south and want diversity I suggest VA Beach..

Old 05-12-2009, 02:06 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
Wouldn't they be moving north from Louisiana?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:22 PM

935 posts, read 2,410,831 times
Basically, the further North and East you go in Virginia the better. Anything west of Blacksburg and you're in trouble b/c SW Virginia is completely dead. Please, take my advice b/c I live here and I have people turning me down for jobs left and right because 1) they are not hiring or 2) they see that I have a bachelor's degree, their eyes grow extremely wide, and they say "we'll keep it on file" but they don't hire. So, definitely go to the North and/or East of the state.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:22 PM

Thank you very much for the responses. I will definitely try the northern and eastern parts of Virginia. Our state is getting really bad with layoffs and very limited jobs. My mom and I recently graduated from college last year and are also having a very hard time finding work much less finding someone who will give an opportunity to get our foot in the door.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:40 AM

76 posts, read 384,087 times
Northern VA is too expensive. Try Richmond. The job market there is pretty good compared to other places in the US and it definately cheaper than Northern VA.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,972 times
If you have school age children RUN! This north or South Hampton Roads is not a place for schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia