Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will be the next freedom lost in the U.S.?
To buy or not to buy health insurance. 7 50.00%
The right to free speech. (fairness doctrine). 0 0%
The right to own a fire arm. 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:29 AM

120 posts, read 217,934 times

Advertisements

Find smoking restaurants in Virginia: www.smokefreelyva.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
OMG! I can't believe I just read that! I don't know whether it's sad or funny but if you truly believe that you're either in denial or have been living under a rock the past 25 years.
Get off the headlines and dig deeper. Second hand smoke is not dangerous to a healthy non smokers. Here is one of the latest and most extensive reports by one of our most credible research facilitys in The U.S.

Effect of tobacco smoking on survival of men and women by social position: a 28 year cohort study -- Gruer et al. 338: b480 -- BMJ

Where have you been?

Not that it matters. Just stay out of smoking restaurants. There are so few of them, why is that so hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter. If an establishment is open to the public there are certain health and safety standards that must be met.

Would you prefer that the restaurants also not have health inspections because they're privately owned/operated?

This is a matter of public health and the majority of states agree which is why they have smoking bans.

Like I said, if you don't like it, take it up with the restaurant owners. They have a choice on whether or not to offer smoking.
No one knows if their being served food prepared in filthy conditions. They do know if a restaurant allows smoking. This makes it an issue of free choice not health.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Study: 'Electronic cigarettes' don't deliver - CNN.com

I really hope they can make something like this effective some day so you guys can get your nicotine fix without puffing smoke onto everyone else. It would be such a less disgusting habit.
That's awful. Some people are just rude. No one should blow smoke at you.
Not all smokers are rude. Those that are would probably still be rude even if they never smoked. They just find another way. By the way, I've meet a few rude non smokers.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe III View Post
During this ban smokers may elect to go out less. This very well may reduce the total number of restaurants so there may be no real net gain for the non smoker anyway. The owner of Banditos Burrito is reporting $1000.00 loss per day, so this is a very real possibility.
I said this on January 2nd, 2010.
On January 6th the Richmond Times Dispatch published "hard times for restaurants"

Hard times force some area restaurants out of business | Richmond Times-Dispatch (http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/local/article/REST06_20100105-221409/315598/#comments - broken link)

This includes 30 Richmond area restaurants that have gone out of business. None, no not even one of them offered smoking.

Restaurant owens check out Restaurant Owners
Find smoking restaurants: Home

Old 02-10-2010, 11:07 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
What? Who said anything about rude? It's a gross habit. I guess a smoker continues to smoke because of the nicotine addiction and the physical habits surrounding the act of smoking. If there was a way to get you guys your fix and allow you to still act out the action of lift cigarette to mouth-inhale-exhale-pull cigarette away, without having the gross side effect of the smoke, then we'd all be happy.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe III View Post
I said this on January 2nd, 2010.
On January 6th the Richmond Times Dispatch published "hard times for restaurants"

Hard times force some area restaurants out of business | Richmond Times-Dispatch (http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/local/article/REST06_20100105-221409/315598/#comments - broken link)

This includes 30 Richmond area restaurants that have gone out of business. None, no not even one of them offered smoking.

Restaurant owens check out Restaurant Owners
Find smoking restaurants: Home
Are you trying to suggest a correlation here between allowing smoking and going out of business (before the smoking restrictions were put in place)? Easy Street and The Border were smoke free? Restaurants go out of business for a wide array of reasons.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
What? Who said anything about rude? It's a gross habit. I guess a smoker continues to smoke because of the nicotine addiction and the physical habits surrounding the act of smoking. If there was a way to get you guys your fix and allow you to still act out the action of lift cigarette to mouth-inhale-exhale-pull cigarette away, without having the gross side effect of the smoke, then we'd all be happy.
Sorry, just seemed rude to me.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Are you trying to suggest a correlation here between allowing smoking and going out of business (before the smoking restrictions were put in place)? Easy Street and The Border were smoke free? Restaurants go out of business for a wide array of reasons.
Yes they do go out of business for many reasons. It just seems that the smoking restaurants have a relatively higher demand vs. supply and are likely a little more insulated from failure as a result.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by betamanlet
Given nobody has even been proven to have died from second hand smoke

Quote:
OMG! I can't believe I just read that! I don't know whether it's sad or funny but if you truly believe that you're either in denial or have been living under a rock the past 25 years.
You can OMG all you want, the fact is that betamanlet is correct.
There is not even any proof to show a danger much less an actual death.

Explain why Relative risks below 3.0 are significant only for enviromental smoke studies, but not significant for all other epidemiological studies.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:39 AM

Secondhand Smoke - Philip Morris USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia