Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:15 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,619,301 times

Advertisements

I live in Nova and I was shocked at all the McDonnell fans here, I doubt it has a lot to do with the fact that he was raised here.. but I'm not sure. I have heard lots of complaints about Obama I am sure it is because he promised a bunch of junk he had no business promising. He pumped up lots of people and got ther minds thinking he was going to turn the country around overnight.. Brainwashed? that seems to be wearing off I think. I was likeing Deeds a little bit towards the beginning of his campaign but he got nasty with it and not to mention he chose Mr.Obama to endorse him and that REALLY turned me off. Neatless to say I am glad I decided to vote for McDonnell and I was pleased with the outcome..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 08:32 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,431 times
McDonnell was a pathetic AG and he will be a pathetic Governor. Example, he knew all about the VITA scandle and said and did nothing to prevent the rape of Va's computer resources, now he proposes outsourcing the ABC stores. He took money from N/G, talk about corruption whose fate he has to decide. There were no pro-consumer cases in his tenure as A/G, in fact, he required DMV to waive 2 million owed in fuels taxes by big business while he required that DMV collect 2.5 million from small truckers - both were DMV mistakes brought about by failing computer systems that his friends at N/G have no clue on how to fix. Now he proposes a road tax increase; oh he calls it tolls on interstates, but whatever you call it, it is money that will be paid by taxpayers. The citizens voted for a crook. He will make Kaine look good and that is hard to do. The Commonwealth is broke and he (nor Deeds) offered any plan to fix the problem. Republicans are happy, but the success of Va. depends on the success of Obama just as its current budget crisis was caused by Bush.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:52 PM

542 posts, read 992,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Republicans stink.

Thank God for the northern portion of this state.
I hate how NoVa thinks they are the only important area in the state, like somehow the rest of us are dumb, unintelligent, and backwards. Asinine comments like this prove how ill informed some people in NoVa can be. The city of Richmond and usually Henrico county generally are very democratic and most of Hampton Roads generally is as well. Charlottesville and Albemarle county are guarnteed to be Democratic as well. It is no secret that less populated areas tend to lean Republican, not just in VA, but also in places like NY and PA. Even NJ went Republican. If CNN's county map was accurate, I found it interesting that Bath and maybe Allegheny county went for Deeds, but he's from there, so just the locals hoping to see one of their own in office I guess. And didn't even NoVa swing Republican this time too?? Exceptions being Arlington, and Alexandria?

To me the state as a whole is quite moderate with ultra conservative pockets and ultra liberal pockets.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:33 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,894 times
Default $500 billion deficit in Virginia

Obama inheritied the biggest deficit in history from the Bush administration spending. When the federal government doesn't impose taxes then it affects the states....viola! I don't think McDonnell will be another republican Bush and he MUST impose taxes to keep the state afloat! Whatever they call a toll on the interstates, it is a tax. If they call them "fees" they are taxes. Property "taxes" on the local level must be raised to pay for "tax cuts". I will be interested to see how McDonnell and his party squirm away from all of these "taxes".

Old 11-05-2009, 06:07 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,431 times
McDonnell will resort to Gilmore and Allen's budget tricks of playing with and using accounting gimmics. For example, the state is suppose to be self insured. Before Allen, there was about 1/2 billion in a fund for this purpose. Allen elimated this self insured fund.

Here is a great example of Mr. McDonnell's legal knowledge. The AG must approve all legislation to ensure it is constitutional. Remember when the Supreme Court ruled that Hampton Roads and Northern Va. Transportion districts could not levy taxes. He said it was legal. He really got that wrong. It cost the State and the dealerships which administered the tax a small fortune to undo it and dealerships were not reimbursed for their computer costs and personnel costs. He could care less about business. Now I wonder, will he raise the idea that Allen had of turning DMV's call centers over to the Dept. of Corrections? Wait a year or two and see how that turns out.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:31 AM

165 posts, read 516,481 times
This thread is a good example of what is wrong. There is a conflict mentality in this country and the govt and its people are more worried about being "right" than about how to help people. We are in BIG trouble if this continues.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:33 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Obama inheritied the biggest deficit in history from the Bush administration spending. When the federal government doesn't impose taxes then it affects the states....viola! I don't think McDonnell will be another republican Bush and he MUST impose taxes to keep the state afloat! Whatever they call a toll on the interstates, it is a tax. If they call them "fees" they are taxes. Property "taxes" on the local level must be raised to pay for "tax cuts". I will be interested to see how McDonnell and his party squirm away from all of these "taxes".
I always find it quite interesting how the September 11th attacks were Bush's fault and Clinton never got blamed for not paying attention to the numerous warning signs from Al-Qaida while he was in office (too busy "running the country" with Monica Lewinsky, I guess). Now Bush gets blamed for the deficit Obama "inherited". I guess Obama has nothing to do with the now increasing deficit because again, that is Bush's fault, even though he hasn't been in office in almost a year. I only left to assume that the Democrats are the only ones that can run the country right and any problems are always the Republicians fault, eh?

Last edited by highway29south; 11-07-2009 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia