Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 18,281 times

Advertisements

I was coming from Atlanta headed back to DC on 1-4-2010 when I got pulled over 6 hours into my drive(4 hours left) in Boydton, VA for going 88 in a 70 area. It was around 8:00 and there was no one on the road. Before I was leaving Atlanta I accidently got hit in the eye and had a black eye and headache that was really hurting. I was just trying to get home as soon as possible so I could get some sleep to feel better to see if I could make it to work in the morning. There were other people in the car that could have drove but I was technically the only person authurized to drive the car. When I go to court should I tell the judge this story and what might happen as a result. Will he think I'm just trying to get him to be sympathetic to me.

I have no prior speeding tickets on my driving record and I'm a college student. I didnt think I was putting anyone in danger because there were no other vehicles on I-85 N at the time.I called the courthouse and they said my fine would be $271 because anything over 80 is reckless driving. They said that if I go to court my fine could be reduced and I could also be required to complete a driver improvement course. Giving my case, including the fact that I know the officer clearly saw my black eye and I told him that I had a headache, what will happen when I take that dreadful 4 hour drive to the courthouse of Mechlenburg County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 04:55 PM

372 posts, read 1,117,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsthompson1 View Post
I was coming from Atlanta headed back to DC on 1-4-2010 when I got pulled over 6 hours into my drive(4 hours left) in Boydton, VA for going 88 in a 70 area.
In the state of Virginia reckless driving is 15 over the speed limit or anything over 80mph. A reckless driving charge is a class 1 misdemeanor in the state of Virginia.

Quote:
It was around 8:00 and there was no one on the road.
Don’t care. That’s just an excuse. There is always someone or something on the road.

Quote:
I was leaving Atlanta I accidently got hit in the eye and had a black eye and headache that was really hurting. I was just trying to get home as soon as possible so I could get some sleep to feel better to see if I could make it to work in the morning. There were other people in the car that could have drove but I was technically the only person authurized to drive the car.
Another lame excuse. Nobody cares. You probably shouldn’t have been driving. No other people on the road? If everyone thought the same way you did, there would be other people SPEEDING on the road. What happens when one of those people comes up behind you and passes you? OH, it looks like there are other people on the road. Is there a fence blocking deer from jumping in the road? OH, it looks like there is the possibility of other THINGS in the road. There can be any kind of road conditions; nobody else on the road is a poor excuse. Just because you said that means you deserve this reckless ticket. Very immature of you.

Quote:
I have no prior speeding tickets on my driving record and I'm a college student.
Doesn’t matter. You’ve probably speeded before and just never got caught.

Quote:
I didnt think I was putting anyone in danger because there were no other vehicles on I-85 N at the time.
You are putting YOURSELF and YOUR PASSENGERS and OTHER MOTORIST in danger when you speed.

Hope you learned a lesson. Come back and visit us some time.

Pay the fine. Take a drives ed course. Learn from your mistakes.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:56 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,023,044 times
Just so their is not any confusion....reckless (speeding) is anything 20 and over not 15.....or anything 80 and over

Old 01-08-2010, 09:22 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,268,360 times
Quote:
I called the courthouse and they said my fine would be $271 because anything over 80 is reckless driving. They said that if I go to court my fine could be reduced and I could also be required to complete a driver improvement course. Giving my case, including the fact that I know the officer clearly saw my black eye and I told him that I had a headache, what will happen when I take that dreadful 4 hour drive to the courthouse of Mechlenburg County.
If you can spare the time and trouble it would probably be worth going to court and telling your story to the judge. Possible the cop won't show up or the judge will buy your story and give you a better outcome. Also, if you can take the course do it, if it will keep this off your record. Your biggest expense will be the insurance rate increase you'll see if it makes it on there.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 18,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
If you can spare the time and trouble it would probably be worth going to court and telling your story to the judge. Possible the cop won't show up or the judge will buy your story and give you a better outcome. Also, if you can take the course do it, if it will keep this off your record. Your biggest expense will be the insurance rate increase you'll see if it makes it on there.

I was definately going back because of my young age hoping that the speed would be reduced to under 80 or that the cop just wont show up . I just didnt know if telling my story would make the judge more angry because he may feel that I'm trying to get him to feel sorry for me. But I really did have a black eye and was just trying to get home to get some rest. I couldn't really afford to stay out of town any longer. I don't know if I should tell my story, leave parts of my story out, or just tell that judges only that I am sorry for my actions and they will never happen again. What do you think?

Old 01-10-2010, 01:18 PM

372 posts, read 1,117,024 times
Quote:
I was definately going back because of my young age hoping that the speed would be reduced to under 80 or that the cop just wont show up . I just didnt know if telling my story would make the judge more angry because he may feel that I'm trying to get him to feel sorry for me. But I really did have a black eye and was just trying to get home to get some rest. I couldn't really afford to stay out of town any longer. I don't know if I should tell my story, leave parts of my story out, or just tell that judges only that I am sorry for my actions and they will never happen again. What do you think?
You think the judge doesn't get tired of hearing the same story?

Old 01-10-2010, 03:56 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,810,346 times
I still can't figure out what a black eye has to do w/anything related to driving too fast.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:14 PM

126 posts, read 381,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I still can't figure out what a black eye has to do w/anything related to driving too fast.

black eye=headache=why he was driving fast.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:22 AM

15,145 posts, read 27,810,346 times
If he's in that much pain, he shouldn't have been driving in the first place.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:40 PM

404 posts, read 1,095,372 times
is there any place where the speed limit is 70 in VA? I didn't think it ever went above 65.

Last edited by Jesco White; 01-11-2010 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia