Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

I like some of their compact cars but I don't like their fuel economy for non-diesel models when compared to their competitors. Why does the Jetta 2.0 engine only make about 115 HP when it's similiar sized competitors' engines get much higher HP and torque numbers while getting the same or more MPG? Have they given up on non-diesel innovation or do they have new engines/transmissions on the way? A four door Golf would suit my driving needs but not at that fuel economy. If I get a vehicle this size I expect better mpg than my old V6 Malibu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
I agree, their power to fuel consumption ratio on N/A gassers is not very good compared to competitors. There is also not much that sets them apart reliability wise. The TDI's are amazingingly efficient but not very powerful... just enough to get you through traffic. The turbo gassers are a bit more efficient but require premium and are more problem prone.

I picked up a '06 Jetta last month with the 2.5 I5 (5spd)... it was a deal I couldnt walk away from. I wanted a TDI (Golf or Jetta) but with the price difference I would have never seen the savings through fuel costs and now have 50 extra horse to boot. All that said, I have gone through a few tanks and have had two tanks at 28mpg and one at 29. Thats a good mix of actual city and highway and I drive pretty hard. I think the 2.0's are a bit better and in the Golf you should see low 30's no problem.

What you will get out of the VW that you wont out of your Malibu is superior handling. My Jetta is pretty fun for a non-performance vehicle.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
<--- VW Snob here

The Jetta you are referring to isn't turbo charged. In many past models and in the GTI they have a turbo which adds the HP and torque you are looking at. Also, the golf and some previous jettas had 5 cylinder engines (2.5L) which gives added HP and TQ.

I have a golf 2.5L and my gas mileage is around 27mpg. But I live IN chicago and drive out to the suburbs so my commute is very stop and go. I would consider mine half highway half city. And the half that is city is VERY city. The turboed engines make better gas mileage than the NA engines.

The TDI models are also turbo, hence the acronym turbocharged direct injection. What MPGs are you looking for? There is a Jetta Hybrid that may fit your needs, but it also isn't very fast. Many who own the GTI claim to get around 30mpg's during Daily Driving. Check out the GolfMK6.com. There are plenty of discussion surrounding GTIs, Golfs, and Jettas MPGs.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:07 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
You are comparing your mileage with published MPG for another car.

The Jetta (any model) gets much better economy than a 3.1L early 2000s Malibu. Published figures for an 02 Malibu 3.1 show a combined 21mpg, while the EPA combined mileage on the 2.0 naturally aspirated 5 speed 2012 Jetta is 28mpg (7mpg more all around).

The 2.5 gets 1mpg less than the 2.0, and the 2.0T gets about 1mpg less highway. The 2.5 is better for power, but the 2.0T is the best. The TDI obviously gets better mileage than either.

My guess is, if you are getting better mileage from your current car than the figures published by the EPA, you might also do better from a new car.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:19 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
I just bought a 2012 Passat TDI. Absolutely love it. My mpg are better than what the window sticker said. I average above 40 between city and highway driving. I know your steering away from a TDI but my point is that your mpg really depend on your driving habits. Of course my VW is pretty consistent with mpg it is still above what I was expecting. DOnt always go but window stickers. After driving my VW I would never revert to a Honda, Toyota etc.. VW has a much better quality car.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:26 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,559 times
I am into month 2 with my 2012 VW GLI (Jetta). It's a Tubro 2.0 4cyl with 200hp. I absolutely LOVE it. Do I love having to use premium fuel? No. But that's the onl fault I can find with this thing. The interior is amazing. The handling is phenomenal. And I love the fact that in my 2 months of ownership, I have still yet to see another GLI on the road. I see plenty of '12 Jettas and tons of Golfs and GTI's, but no GLI's.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:33 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
To the OP:

If you are seriously looking at a 2.0 and the mileage is up around 80k it is imperative that you consider the timing belt/water pump. Either have documentation that it was done or plan on having it done yourself imediately.

As for the 2.5 I would say away from '05 to early '06 models as there is a known issue with the timing chain guides that ultimately results in a trashed engine. Its a bit of hit-or-miss whether they fail or not; if the mileage is up around that 80k mark and there hasn't been any problems and the engine doesn't make a "marbles in a tin can" noise then its probably OK. Other than that they redesigned the guides in late '06 from what I understand. With that issue aside the engine is very reliable.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:29 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I just bought a 2012 Passat TDI. After driving my VW I would never revert to a Honda, Toyota etc.. VW has a much better quality car.
I'm glad you love your new car; however, wait until you have around 100K miles on your car before making such statements as "VW has a much better quality car" than Honda, Toyota etc... You simply don't have the data to make such conclusions yet. Your car is too new.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:57 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
VWs are high maintenance and very poor reliability vehicles. Resale value also stinks.

Yes they are are more fun to drive than a Toyota or Honda, but you will pay for that fun in the future.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:01 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Yep it may be good now, but give it a few years and you will be having a bunch of electrical problems. VW just like Mercedes is know for having terrible electrics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen