Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 11:10 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times

Advertisements

Having some second thoughts about a recent used car purchase I made, a 2006 vw jetta (2.5 engine). I only had about $5500 to spend on a car (didn't want to have payments) and found what seemed to be a reasonably good deal. A private small dealership here (owned by two very honest guys) sold me the jetta for $5600. I like german cars and having owned a problem free golf tdi in the past I liked the idea of owning the jetta especially because it seemed to be in very good condition (no rust - I'm in chicago, interior is in GREAT condition for cars age, engine and transmission seemed very healthy and 2.5 engine I've ready is much more reliable than some older vw engines). The dealership was very up front about how the car had been acquired and all maintenance and repairs that had been made. The week of purchasing a couple of things came up (drivers side door locks didn't function correctly, etc.) to which the dealership guys agreed to cover them at no cost to me. I've since noticed that once the engine has warmed up the transmission (automatic) shifts roughly, not terribly so but enough to make me notice. After some research I found this was an valve body replacement issue that is fairly common with this model year. Talked to shop in connection with dealership - shop owner also owns a VW and said it could be that or an engine mount issue which he was familiar with but said either way it would be a relatively expensive repair (no joke). I know dealership guys may help to cover the costs after I get this looked at (appointment set up for friday) but I can't help wondering if I should just sell it soon and get something like a used honda fit instead... that should be problem free right!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 12:26 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
A Honda would certainly be better than a Volkswagen!

Old 04-23-2018, 01:14 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
To be brutally honest, you overpaid for this car. You're not going to come close to getting your money back out of it. So whether you sell it at a loss or put money into fixing it its going to cost you either way.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
To be brutally honest, you overpaid for this car. You're not going to come close to getting your money back out of it. So whether you sell it at a loss or put money into fixing it its going to cost you either way.
I figured that would be the case. For it's condition I felt like it was a pretty good deal. But I figure if I do sell it I won't get as much as I paid for it, that's to be expected though.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:44 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Sounds like the same cascading problems we had with the 2003 Passat of Despair. Dump it as soon as possible rather than putting another penny of your own money into it because another issue will always come up with the bad VWs of that era.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Sounds like the same cascading problems we had with the 2003 Passat of Despair. Dump it as soon as possible rather than putting another penny of your own money into it because another issue will always come up with the bad VWs of that era.
Oh gosh, I read the 2.5 was a pretty reliable engine hence my confidence with buying this model. Is that what your 03 passat was as well?

Old 04-23-2018, 02:37 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Ours was a 2.8 V6 version. Started having issues somewhere around the 65K mile mark and poured thousands into trying to fix it before eventually selling it to one of the 'we buy anything' dealers.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Ours was a 2.8 V6 version. Started having issues somewhere around the 65K mile mark and poured thousands into trying to fix it before eventually selling it to one of the 'we buy anything' dealers.
Ok, ya I think the engine is in good shape but the trans worries me. I love VW's but the reliability always makes me a bit nervous. I try and do my research but you can never know for sure I suppose.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:57 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
Any used car is a gamble, no matter what make it is. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:30 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
We ave the same car (2006 Jetta). I was worried too, but we have very few problems with it. Repair are expensive, but so far so good. We got it with 110,000 miles on it, and now approaching 190,000 6 years later. We're happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen