Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,325,555 times

Advertisements

That is, after you check the fluid level first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 10:01 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,712,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
my vw dealer refused to diagnose anything until i had a new battery put in?? they said i needed a new battery before they could run any tests of the cars computer system. i don't get this. it doesn't seem like i need a new battery.
Everything on these new cars is computer operated - including how your tranny shifts. It is possible (though I don't know that this IS what is happening) that your battery is just weak enough to be messing things up.

I'm guessing the VW dealership wants to charge you about $150 for a new battery.

I'm not a big fan of WalMart, but that's where I get all my car batteries. I've found them to be quite a bit cheaper than even OReillly's or Autozone, and they seem to be good batteries. Their tech guy can pop a tester on your old battery and tell you if it needs to be replaced. They'll also install the new battery for free.

Good luck!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:03 PM

If the battery is strong enough to start the car, it should be strong enough to operate the computer. It's not like it draws much power. I can't even conceive of how it would be possible to attribute a transmission shifting problem to a weak battery. Sounds like a scam to me.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:42 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,491,231 times
VW's suck. Sell it ASAP unless you are prepared to drop $3k-$4k into it for a new tranny. And don't ever buy another VW again. Seriously, you'll thank me later.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:04 PM

17 posts, read 39,829 times
I agree with the recommendation of an independant shop. Ask friends who they have had the best experience with though. We have a 2001 Beetle which had what sounds like the same problem. It was one of the computers. Sorry, do not remember which one as that was over a year ago and we have changed a couple more since. But with that specific one, $800 at the dealership, $250 at a good local shop. But yes, still check your fluids which with any vehicle this should be done at least once a month and while you are doing that, test all the lights too.
When you say it is to soon for transmissions, one of my other cars was only 3 years old, had 55,000 miles and a bad tranny. No matter how much you do take care of your car, anything can happen especially wiht all the computers in them these days.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:11 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,139,342 times
VW's are horrid horrid cars. My mother traded in her Jag S-Type a years back for a New Beetle (which has since been sold...thank god) and had no shortage of electrical and mechanical problems. I've heard very similar remarks from friends/family who have owned Golf's/Jetta's/Passat's/Audi's (owned by VW) since many of them share the same/similar platforms. I can't speak for the current gen products but I certainly wouldn't buy one until they are several years old and have a proven track record.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
VW's are horrid horrid cars. My mother traded in her Jag S-Type a years back for a New Beetle (which has since been sold...thank god) and had no shortage of electrical and mechanical problems. I've heard very similar remarks from friends/family who have owned Golf's/Jetta's/Passat's/Audi's (owned by VW) since many of them share the same/similar platforms. I can't speak for the current gen products but I certainly wouldn't buy one until they are several years old and have a proven track record.
So, uh, any input on the transmission problem?

Old 04-10-2009, 01:34 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,139,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So, uh, any input on the transmission problem?
Yeah, it's actually a feature on modern VW's.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:45 PM

648 posts, read 3,094,206 times
i have had tons of problems with this car. never in my life have i had so many problems with a car. i would not recommend the vw beetle to anyone. but i do enjoy driving it and i like the convertible top. i bought the premium extended warranty so it should cover this transmission problem. i've never bought an extended warranty before but i want to keep this car until it dies so i don't have a car payment for a while! thank you all for your insights.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:54 PM

3,870 posts, read 4,088,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Everything on these new cars is computer operated - including how your tranny shifts. It is possible (though I don't know that this IS what is happening) that your battery is just weak enough to be messing things up.

I'm guessing the VW dealership wants to charge you about $150 for a new battery.

I'm not a big fan of WalMart, but that's where I get all my car batteries. I've found them to be quite a bit cheaper than even OReillly's or Autozone, and they seem to be good batteries. Their tech guy can pop a tester on your old battery and tell you if it needs to be replaced. They'll also install the new battery for free.

Good luck!

Just another reason to LOVE WalMart!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen