Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 01:30 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,712 times

Advertisements

So... a Subaru can get up to 30mpg?

AND... the Outback can tow 1000-2000 pounds (of trailer)?

So, seeing as I'm trying to avoid car/truck payments until after I buy a home, it seems best that I postpone that Dodge Diesel and buy something that will tow my light boxes across the U.S., then provide me with cheap, reliable transportation during the period I driving around house-hunting.

1.) Seems like I heard that there were problems with the Turbo models?

2.) Is one Subaru better than the other?
I've seen that there were some problems with the late 90s models ...
Quote:
"Faulty head gaskets are at the root of many overheating problems in Subarus. These problems are most common in Phase 1 2.5-liter engines in 1996 to 1999 Outbacks, and 1996 to 1999 Lecacy GTs. These engines are also in the 1998 Impreza RS."
I'm just looking for a cheap, reliable, car with good mileage that can tow the smallest trailer with boxes of clothes and books loaded behind it. Right now I'm thinking that $6000 ... $7000 tops should do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I'm just looking for a cheap, reliable, car with good mileage that can tow the smallest trailer with boxes of clothes and books loaded behind it. Right now I'm thinking that $6000 ... $7000 tops should do it?
Let's eliminate all questions...

For $5,000 - $6,000, buy a good used Dodge Grand Caravan. If it's a Grand Caravan, and has a roof rack, it'll haul everything you need to haul. If you behave yourself regarding speed, you'll get 22 mpg going down the Interstate. Get to where you're going, look for the vehicle you want, and sell the Caravan for what you bought it for.

02 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport - 7 pass - No Rust - Clean - Estate sale

Old 04-08-2013, 02:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Let's eliminate all questions...

For $5,000 - $6,000, buy a good used Dodge Grand Caravan. If it's a Grand Caravan, and has a roof rack, it'll haul everything you need to haul. If you behave yourself regarding speed, you'll get 22 mpg going down the Interstate. Get to where you're going, look for the vehicle you want, and sell the Caravan for what you bought it for.

02 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport - 7 pass - No Rust - Clean - Estate sale
Just be sure you have enough cash reserves to rebuild the transmission. If it does not fail before you sell the van, then you will have a bigger down payment for buying a different car.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Just be sure you have enough cash reserves to rebuild the transmission. If it does not fail before you sell the van, then you will have a bigger down payment for buying a different car.
I drove 6 Caravans when our kids were growing up. Had trouble with 1 transmission - and that was at 217,000 miles. One of the most important things is to use the right fluid, which the dinks at JiffyLube & other like places rarely do. ATF+4.

Also, by 2002, Chrysler had more-or-less remedied the tranny issues.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:43 AM

Default Okay... then what about Vans in general?

I'm not really a "Grand Caravan" (aka "mommy van") type of guy ... and PLEASE don't personalize that or feel I'm rejecting the idea without considering.

When you mentioned it... it brought back earlier thoughts about a cargo or work van.
They're basically trucks... right?

But they're supposed to be harder to work on because of how vans are built.
(But perhaps that's just the older ones that had the motors between the seats??)

If it's a van, then hey... that would solve a lot of problems... but what's a good one?
I know Ford must make some good ones ... but a friend of mine has one and his drinks gas like nobody's business. In fact, I took his van in to be serviced one day (he's handicapped), and I swear ... after this van was serviced at a dealership (it was new), it really felt like it got even less gas mileage than when it went in.

So... what about Dodge, Chevy, and GMC work vans... the kinds with no windows??
Good years? Comments?

Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Good years? Comments?
There's a thread I started about cargo vans (I'm also in the market) that isn't too old. Some great advice given there, check it out.

I need the space, but I'm trying to figure out if I really need 8 cylinders all the damn time. The model I have my eye on is the late 2000s Chevy 1500 AWD van. There seem to be more Fords out there but my research indicated that I'd probably like the Chevys more, specifically with the 5.3 or 4.8 V8 engines.

If I decide I don't, I'll probably build a custom VW Vanagon with a Subaru motor. VW vans are another way you can go in your search, too.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
I'm not really a "Grand Caravan" (aka "mommy van") type of guy ... and PLEASE don't personalize that or feel I'm rejecting the idea without considering.

When you mentioned it... it brought back earlier thoughts about a cargo or work van.
They're basically trucks... right?

But they're supposed to be harder to work on because of how vans are built.
(But perhaps that's just the older ones that had the motors between the seats??)

If it's a van, then hey... that would solve a lot of problems... but what's a good one?
I know Ford must make some good ones ... but a friend of mine has one and his drinks gas like nobody's business. In fact, I took his van in to be serviced one day (he's handicapped), and I swear ... after this van was serviced at a dealership (it was new), it really felt like it got even less gas mileage than when it went in.

Good years? Comments?
Full-sized vans are kind of just a pickup truck with a different body. And yes, they tend to be hard to work on, though most have that "doghouse" inside that you can open to access a good deal of the engine. It's extremely rare that I have one come through the shop. They're usually owned by a company that has a whole fleet of them, and they do their own service, or take them straight to the dealer.

They're one of the toughest vehicles to drive on bad roads, because they catch so danged much wind.

That said, they are what they are. A huge empty box on wheels, that you can cram a LOT of stuff into.

My experience would have me leaning toward a Chevy. They tend to get better mileage than Fords.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:20 AM

Default How's a guy supposed to hual his stuff !!??!!?

So many decisions!

One has more space, the other more towing power. Another one has a better engine but is hard to find and the prices have gone up on it.

Thanks... I'll check that "cargo van" thread out.
If I could find one with a recommended engine AND pretty good gas mileage, then I'd probably go with that one right now.

Your post brings up another question... what do you think of Subarus?
If you like their engines... what about their cars?

Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
So many decisions!

One has more space, the other more towing power. Another one has a better engine but is hard to find and the prices have gone up on it.

If I could find one with a recommended engine AND pretty good gas mileage, then I'd probably go with that one right now.

Subaru is like every other car manufacturer. They've had some great cars, and put out some crap.

Other than the head gasket issue, which was particularly bad for a few years (without looking I don't recall which specific years) they're a solid car. Like most Japanese made cars, they're a little prone to rust problems. They were way ahead of their time with the push-button AWD system, though it wasn't particularly popular back in the day. Now it is. You'll see tons of Subarus wherever bad road conditions are common.

Personally, I think they're over-priced for what they are - but that's primarily because they're really popular right now. Being over-priced can be both a blessing and a curse.

Aside from the Suby's for a moment... You may be WAY over-thinking this whole temporary car ownership thing. There is no one vehicle that's going to be ideal, while all others are crap. You might stumble on the right "pickup with a topper" and have it be perfect for you. Or you might just happen to see a cargo van on Craigslist that turns out to be excellent. Who knows. A lot depends on what kind of deals just happen to show up.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
If I could find one with a recommended engine AND pretty good gas mileage, then I'd probably go with that one right now.?
The V8 vans do better than I expected, with a very light foot. It's very hard to get a giant box to get decent MPGs, so some part of me wants to say just go for the power. Vanagons don't really get substantially better mileage, I just love the way they drive (used to have an '84). I truly hate the way the engine is crammed into American vans; anything I'd do under the hood requires removal of a bunch of wiring harnesses, air boxes, etc etc. Changing the spark plugs requires removing the tires. All of them - Ford, Chevy, and Dodge - just don't seem to have been designed with ease of maintenance involved.

Quote:
I'm a big Subaru fan. We've had a 99 forester for seven years. Still running, driving, steering and stopping great at 150k. We did the head gaskets at 100k (always a weak spot for Subarus) and have had very few costs. MPG isn't great for a small car, but it is so good off pavement. We've taken that little car on some real gnarly backcountry tracks with no trouble.

Around here at least, used Foresters are pretty inexpensive. Might be worth looking at. I wish ours was just a few inches longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo