Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 AM

72 posts, read 458,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by factcheckerdude View Post
Hi Guys,

Richest Towns in Prince George's County Maryland
(based on Household Income Census data 2005-2009 ACS survey)

United States HouseHold Median Income - $51,425

Maryland Household Median Income - $69,475

10. Greater Upper Marlboro CDP, Maryland -
$96,623 (66th*)

$96,623 (66th*)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 02:13 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
You need to break the Upper Marlboro area into the incorporated Town from the rest of the Zip Code.

Kettering is now mostly in the 20772 Zip although it's 8 miles from Upper Marlboro itself. That was done a number of years ago when the residents were complaining about the crime rate assigned to them which included the area inside the Beltway.

The 20772 Zip goes from about Arena Drive by the Beltway south and east to Frank Tippett Road near Cheltenham, a distance of about 15 miles. It also runs east of UM on Croom Rd. to Baden, another 12 or so miles. Also north to almost Bowie along Rte. 301.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You need to break the Upper Marlboro area into the incorporated Town from the rest of the Zip Code.

Kettering is now mostly in the 20772 Zip although it's 8 miles from Upper Marlboro itself. That was done a number of years ago when the residents were complaining about the crime rate assigned to them which included the area inside the Beltway.

The 20772 Zip goes from about Arena Drive by the Beltway south and east to Frank Tippett Road near Cheltenham, a distance of about 15 miles. It also runs east of UM on Croom Rd. to Baden, another 12 or so miles. Also north to almost Bowie along Rte. 301.
Hey NBP,

Not sure whatyou mean, but i looked up the Census Tract information for both Upper Marlboro proper (The small town) and Greater Upper Marlboro. Here is the Median Income for the Census Tracts. You seem very knowledgeable, so i'm sure you can better define these locations based on Tracts; (I know that tracts of land are extremely specific and is like going from street to street in a neighborhood etc)

Taken from 2005-2009 ACS Census Bureau Home Page

The Census Tract for Greater Upper Marlboro; District 3 (Prince George's County) and Upper Marlboro town;

Median HouseHold Income;

Census Tract 8005.07; $140,375
Census Tract 8006.03; $130,983
Census Tract 8006.04; $95,565
Census Tract 8006.01; $95,068
Census Tract 8006.05 (part); Upper Marlboro town; $77,500
Census Tract 8006.06; $74,837

Avg 102k per tract
CDP List for Greater Upper Marlboro is 96k

Seems pretty accurate...What do you think? (Can you also better explain a tract? please..)

$96,623 (66th*)/7. Rosaryville CDP, Maryland - $101,930 (53rd*)

Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 PM

I guess what I'm saying is that the Census tracts don't always reflect the reality on the ground. In the case of Upper Marlboro there are areas that at one time in the not too distant past "belonged" to somewhere else. Largo/Kettering being one such. At one time it was a separate area and not Upper Marlboro. That's part of the issue you're seeing in your crime thread, too. All of MD is like that, by the way.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 8,366 times
I can't say much about other areas in PG but Bowie and Mitchelville are nice, safe areas, reasonably priced, and convenient to Annapolis, DC, Baltimore, Ft. Meade. I lived in Bowie for 7 years and thought it was great, right next to the Town Center.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:43 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,104 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
factcheckerdude, sorry if I missed it, but the point of all is is what exactly?

Im glad factcheckerdude checked the facts.....I used to be on BaltimoreSun's message board alot and the amount of ppl up there that try to look down on pg is amazing....folks will say "PG County is a sewer, its a 3rd world country" "Stay far away from Pg County its a hell hole"...I come to defense but ppl find comfort in their own ignorance....The ironic thing is that I'll tell them the nicer parts of PG are nicer than better parts of Baltimore county and they think Im delusional....now it appears Moco and pg dominate the richest towns in MD list....*them houses you posted are right in my area so I see it everyday..sure looks like a hell hole to me (Enterprise RD)

Old 01-19-2011, 07:09 PM

175 posts, read 651,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Im glad factcheckerdude checked the facts.....I used to be on BaltimoreSun's message board alot and the amount of ppl up there that try to look down on pg is amazing....folks will say "PG County is a sewer, its a 3rd world country" "Stay far away from Pg County its a hell hole"...I come to defense but ppl find comfort in their own ignorance....The ironic thing is that I'll tell them the nicer parts of PG are nicer than better parts of Baltimore county and they think Im delusional....now it appears Moco and pg dominate the richest towns in MD list....*them houses you posted are right in my area so I see it everyday..sure looks like a hell hole to me (Enterprise RD)
Amen to that!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:32 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,980,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Not true.

PG Community College is just south of Kettering (actually across MD 202) and it is considered to be in the 20774 zip code. Here's the proof. Kettering Shopping Center/Campus Way South has a 20774 zip as well (Giant, Target, CVS, etc.) Kettering Middle is also in the 20774.

From what I understood the 20774 zip code starts down by Brown Road, borders east of Brown Station Road, east of Ritchie Marlboro Road, east of I-495/I-95, south of Central Avenue and south of Landover Road. It also has a small section which is where Springdale is. All in all, 20774 cover a large portion of Upper Marlboro and the entire part of Kettering is in that zip code.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:46 PM

20774 is now an Upper Marlboro zip code.

Prince George's Community College
301 Largo Rd.
Upper Marlboro, MD 20774

Old 02-01-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandlawyer389 View Post
I can't say much about other areas in PG but Bowie and Mitchelville are nice, safe areas, reasonably priced, and convenient to Annapolis, DC, Baltimore, Ft. Meade. I lived in Bowie for 7 years and thought it was great, right next to the Town Center.

Yes, i forgot i did take some pictures of homes in Bowie, but i was not sure if it was Bowie Maryland, or Woodmore Maryland, but i think it was classified as Bowie.

8. Bowie city, Maryland - $99,883 (56th*)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland