Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times

Advertisements

Well I've lived in MoCo for many many years yet I've pretty much only been to Bethesda, Silver Spring, Rockville and occasionally Gaithersburg. I went up to Germantown once for a driving class, and I accidentally ended up in Burtonsville on the way to Baltimore once (long story). Other than that I don't think I've ever been outside of those areas except when traveling somewhere else.

Is there anything worth seeing, even if just by car? I'll be honest, when I went up US-29 toward Burtonsville, there wasn't anything necessarily impressive (except for the ICC construction) but it was still kinda cool to see an area I've never been in. So even just some nice roads to drive on would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
I recommend going to Tridelphia Lake. It's a nice change of scenery.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:23 PM

165 posts, read 530,522 times
Little Bennett Regional Park

Sugarloaf Mountain on the County Line at I-270 and MD 109 - you can walk or drive up this small mountain, which geologically is a "monadnock" meaning it's set off by itself

Great Falls Park; the C & O Canal

The Olney Theater -- one of 2 in MD, that are declared an honorary "official state theater"

Most of N.W. MoCo, as you may know, is a preserved "green space", protected by zoning law from major development.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
I was going to suggest Sugarloaf Mountain, but someone beat me to it.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:33 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,296 times
Brookside Gardens, near Wheaton. Really nice in the spring and late summer/early autumn.

There is an azalea garden at Tridelphia Lake--pretty in the spring.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:51 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane2 View Post
Little Bennett Regional Park

Sugarloaf Mountain on the County Line at I-270 and MD 109 - you can walk or drive up this small mountain, which geologically is a "monadnock" meaning it's set off by itself

Great Falls Park; the C & O Canal

The Olney Theater -- one of 2 in MD, that are declared an honorary "official state theater"

Most of N.W. MoCo, as you may know, is a preserved "green space", protected by zoning law from major development.
There's a mountain? Neat! Montgomery county is still a foreign country for this Virginia boy. Maybe its time to dust off the passport haha.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:56 PM

175 posts, read 651,988 times
you've pretty much been to all the "major" areas of MOco, a lot of the other places in montgomery are pretty small communities, but garrett park can be nice, so is those regional parks in areas such as cabin john etc. Ashton sandy sspring is pretty nice, (closer you get to howard the nicer it gets). I would take a look up there.

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2011, 03:28 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,753 times
expand and go further north to Cunningham falls (not MC), now that is worth seeing....

Old 01-21-2011, 03:31 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
I never ventured down to Sugarloaf, but I hear it is well maintained, and much used. I prefer my mountainous hiking to be a bit more private. Cunningham Falls in Frederick Co. is a nice, although it too gets crowded. Some of the less travelled trails around the falls can offer some solitude.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:13 PM

165 posts, read 530,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I never ventured down to Sugarloaf, but I hear it is well maintained, and much used. I prefer my mountainous hiking to be a bit more private. Cunningham Falls in Frederick Co. is a nice, although it too gets crowded. Some of the less travelled trails around the falls can offer some solitude.
See Sugarloaf Mtn., Dickerson, MD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugarloaf_Mountain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland