Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 06:03 PM

175 posts, read 651,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Much of PG County is very nice. I prefer it over most AA County.
How long have you lived here? Pg county.Very Nice?! When you say "much" what areas do you mean??

Pg has the highest murder rate in md/va even dc! Its almost up to 30 murders this year!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayayards View Post
How long have you lived here? Pg county.Very Nice?! When you say "much" what areas do you mean??

Pg has the highest murder rate in md/va even dc! Its almost up to 30 murders this year!!
Wow it's higher than DC's rate?

Old 04-10-2011, 12:19 PM

175 posts, read 651,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Wow it's higher than DC's rate?
Yep unbelievable huh? Pretty much thanks to the shooting in seat pleasnt, and the stabbing in langley park. Believe me theres more to come....

Old 04-10-2011, 01:40 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayayards View Post

Yea, but it's a very large county. It does have some bad areas (that seem to be getting worse), but parts of it are nice.

It's too bad that all the gentrification in DC has pushed the riff raff into PG county though. I'm sure that pattern will continue deeper into PG and eventially into AA.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,780 times
Hi there. Intresting discussion on this thread. I'll count myself as one of those who think Fort Washington is a great place to live. It's true that there is very little retail here; however given the vast amount there is everywhere else, that doesn't count as much of a downside to me. It's easy enough to find. The improvements to the beltway and the Wilson Bridge have made getting over to NOVA a slice of cake, the commute in to DC isn't long, the rest of the County is accessable, and even the ride down to Waldorf isn't bad...with the exception of peak commute hours. During those times, Route 210 is a hot and cold running nightmare. Some serious thought needs to go to improving public transit and the roads themselves...but that's another rant.
Fort Washington is quiet, relatively crime free, uncrowded and well-kempt. There is much more here for your money than accross the river in NOVA. My neighborhood (Tantallon) is diverse, professional, and has an active and involved Citizens Association. The quality of the schools I can not address. Public services, the police and fire brigade are close by and response times are minimal. I am very impressed with the quality of care at Ft. Washington hospital as well. While the neighborhood had it's share of foreclosures, those properties are being sold,and people are moving in. In time, the National Harbor development will prove tremendously valuable to this area also.
If anyone is seeking to relocate, look here!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 AM

Location: Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill border, MD (Prince George's County)
321 posts, read 812,579 times
I met some fellow moms (white) that are Ft. Washington residents in an exercise class I recently started and I asked about what they were doing for schools.

The following schools in Temple Hills and Clinton were highly recommended. I never would have found these as I was only looking in Ft. Washington/Oxon Hill. If you don't have an issue with religious based schools, these seem to be two hidden gems. Since they are tied to churches, I am sure they are very affordable. Just an fyi for others that are investigating neighbor school options as I am right now.

St. Marys K-8 Home Page (http://www.stmaryspiscataway.org/About/About-us.html - broken link)

Corkran preschool to K Corkran Preschool and Kindergarten Home
Corkran United Methodist Preschool - Temple Hills, Maryland - MD - School overview

Old 08-17-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrizad View Post
Hi there. Intresting discussion on this thread. I'll count myself as one of those who think Fort Washington is a great place to live. It's true that there is very little retail here; however given the vast amount there is everywhere else, that doesn't count as much of a downside to me. It's easy enough to find. The improvements to the beltway and the Wilson Bridge have made getting over to NOVA a slice of cake, the commute in to DC isn't long, the rest of the County is accessable, and even the ride down to Waldorf isn't bad...with the exception of peak commute hours. During those times, Route 210 is a hot and cold running nightmare. Some serious thought needs to go to improving public transit and the roads themselves...but that's another rant.
Fort Washington is quiet, relatively crime free, uncrowded and well-kempt. There is much more here for your money than accross the river in NOVA. My neighborhood (Tantallon) is diverse, professional, and has an active and involved Citizens Association. The quality of the schools I can not address. Public services, the police and fire brigade are close by and response times are minimal. I am very impressed with the quality of care at Ft. Washington hospital as well. While the neighborhood had it's share of foreclosures, those properties are being sold,and people are moving in. In time, the National Harbor development will prove tremendously valuable to this area also.
If anyone is seeking to relocate, look here!
In another thread on here Ft. Washington was listed as having 8 murders so far this year. That's 8 more than Alexandria and Arlington combined.

Murders in the Mid-Atlantic, 2011

Old 11-22-2011, 06:00 PM

22 posts, read 53,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
In another thread on here Ft. Washington was listed as having 8 murders so far this year. That's 8 more than Alexandria and Arlington combined.

Murders in the Mid-Atlantic, 2011

I grew up in Ft. Washington as a kid. Went to Ft. Washington Forest and then 7th grade at Burroughs Jr High and then the family moved to the Annapolis area in June 1986. I am white.

When I lived there it was a good mix of people but by the time we left I was becoming a minority. Now it's just about all black. I have great memories of that place. What the heck happened to the pool on Taylor Ave.?? I spent everyday at that pool in the summer as a kid. I was on google earth and I noticed houses were built on it!! We used to rule the woods around there and all the little trails. We would walk or ride our bikes right through the trail between the football field and the shopping center. We had absolutely no fear of anything happening to us in that neighborhood and I had black friends, white friends, filipino friends, and one of my best friends was Puerto Rican. The school system did suck but I still have great memories of FW Forest Elementary in the 80's. I didn't really notice how lacking the school system was until I got away from Burroughs and started school in Anne Arundel Co.

It's a shame that it's so crime ridden now. I can't imagine my old neighborhood being dangerous.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:49 AM

22 posts, read 53,161 times
Yeah, I'm curious as to why the public pool on Taylor Ave. isn't there anymore (or when it ceased operations) but also I would like to know what that big structure behind Fort Washington Forest Elementary is. Looks like it was built very recently and it sits right on top of the basketball courts that I played on. Anyone in that area know what that new structure is? In the old days (80's) there was the black top at the entrance of the playground, right next to the school. Then, as you walked into the schoolyard, there were some jungle gym type stuff off to the left and the basketball court to the right. There was another court, that is still there, by the tennis courts at the other end of the school yard. In my day, that was the "sorry" court. The court that is gone now was the choice court to play on. Sometimes we would get kicked off the good court by the older kids. There was chain fence all around the school yard and an alley that ran parallel to the scool yard and seperated the public playing fields from the school facilities.

The owner of Pina's Pizza (was located in that Tantallon Shopping center off 210 along with Bradlees formerly Memco) lived on my street and I was good friends with the youngest son, who was in my grade. The owners of Charlies Pizza lived across the street from the Pina's family and I was friends with their daughters. The current athletic director of Howard University, who was a really good friend of mine, grew up right across the street from that neighborhood playground/football field. I was also great friends with his brother. I used to play football and baseball on that field and soccer over in riverview park out by the Forts. Believe it or not but we used to sled down that massive hill on Indian Head Hwy. I know it sounds crazy but there was a big gulley that would catch you so you wouldn't fly onto the street and get killed. Our parents would have killed us had they known!!

We used to ride our bikes all through that area. I was not allowed to cross the highway but we tore it up anyway. Our parents would load us up and take us out to cosca park in Clinton, to ride those trails too.

Hitting puberty, we all started hanging out at Tucker Road Ice Rink on friday nights to flirt with the girlies. Soon thereafter we moved a county over and I had to make all new friends in a new middle school. I remember the first year or so in my new hood I missed FW like crazy. Then I settled in and was fine. Still, I always had a soft spot in my heart for that little community. It was so diverse socially, and the landscape was almost unmatched in terms of sheer beauty in a working class neighborhood. I lived there until June '86. We moved away mainly because my parents, like many at the time, did not want to send me to Friendly and they couldn't afford private school. Some of my friends stayed in the area and went to McNamara or another private school in PG/moco/DC. Others, like us, just moved to AA or Moco for the good public schools. My parents were very "unimpressed" with Eugene Burroughs Junior High and had heard too many bad things about Friendly. So, after 7th grade, off we went to AA.

So, if you live in my old hood, what is that big new structure behind the school and when did they bury the neighborhood pool?

These are very important questions people!!! I'm having a nostalgia attack!!!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 PM

Marlow Heights 60's&70's

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland