Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 5,826 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Maryland and have narrowed my preference to Bethesda. Any suggestions on affordable apartments to rent within the Bethesda area zip code close to dining, shopping and entertainment? A couple of suggestions for affordable rental communities would go a long way to narrowing my search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 09:40 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,593 times
Bethesda and affordable donot go together.
Bethesda and expensive goes together.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:44 AM

230 posts, read 859,746 times
I'm not sure you can mention "affordable" and "Bethesda" in the same sentence, but here are a few places that may help direct your search.

Apartment Rental Guide Home Page (http://gis.co.mo.md.us/dhca/default.asp - broken link)
Bethesda.org | Bethesda Urban Partnership (http://www.bethesda.org/bethesda/downtownliving.htm - broken link)

Old 08-22-2007, 11:00 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,402 times
There are some older 2 story brick apartments on battery lane -- I think they are quite affordable. Also check craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events, but under DC, not under Maryland. If you look at Apartment Ratings for Bethesda, put no stock in what you read, many perfectly nice places are rated terrible and I can't imagine why. There is a trade off between what you get for the money and being close in, but I love living right in Bethesda and it is worth it to me.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:43 PM

149 posts, read 668,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamparbeng View Post
Any suggestions on affordable apartments to rent within the Bethesda area zip code close to dining, shopping and entertainment? .
Don'tget your hopes up, like the other guys have said affordable and Bethesda just don't mix.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:04 PM

658 posts, read 1,785,315 times
What is your definition of "affordable?"

As many other poster have said, there are really no affordable apartments in Bethesda. Your best bet would probably be to go north on 355 to Rockville-N.Bethesda area. There are several apartments that are more "reasonably" priced in that area that are closeby to the Metro and have a lot of dining and shopping areas. Plus, it's only a 10 min drive or metro ride to Bethesda.

If you are heartset on Bethesda, you can easily share a two bedroom apartment with a roomate.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:28 PM

31 posts, read 137,098 times
Default $1750 a month for a 1 bedroom

Thats what my brother just rented a place for in Bethesda. It is expensive, but he really likes the area. He said there's plenty to do, but I don't have any useful specifics.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:26 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Bethesda and affordable donot go together.
Bethesda and expensive goes together.
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old 08-23-2007, 06:30 PM

149 posts, read 668,208 times
This guy never responded, maybe we scared him away.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:54 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,596 times
The prices in Bethesda (and in DC in general) come as a shock to folks from a lot of places. B. is among the most historically desirable close-in suburbs to DC. People can ask almost any $ there and get it. Those who want to be there may find themselves living with housemates or roommates when they are well over age 25 or 30 and/or living in one room in a basement with a microwave and dorm frig.
Compared with when I lived there 10 or 15 years ago, the town is having a lot of construction of luxury apartments and renovation into luxury buildings.
For affordable rent, you may have to share. You may save a little by going out to Rockville, Gaithersburg, or Germantown (if you are talking about Montgomery County), but you have to weigh any commute involved. I lived in the Wheaton area last year and it was OK for convenience but I didn't feel that comfortable and safe there. Visit and look around a community before you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland