Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 07:13 AM

671 posts, read 1,547,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyizdlimit View Post
Molukai,

I am seriously considering the Tantallon on the Potomac subdivision and the DR Horton (Wilmington) model and I am sorry that this happened to you. This news is disturbing. Should I avoid them altogether? What could be done on the front end to prevent those issues from happening?
Sky, it *is* quite disturbing. It is even more disturbing that at least from my view, DR Horton is the best choice for the specific Fort Washington area as far as non-custom semi-luxury home builders are. Also, Tantallon on the Potomac is one of the nicest looking community that is within a ~45 minute commute (during rush hour) to Crystal City/Pentagon area. Because of that, I don't want to dissuade you from purchasing here. My honest advice is to use my (and many others that have already purchased) negative experiences as ammunition when dealing with DR Horton. And, regardless of who you go with, they will all try to ********* in the name of profit. It is just how the culture is in this particular DMV area.

Major tips:
Immediately (Right Now):
Anything that was promised to you by the sales manager must be written somewhere. If not, tell them you won't proceed unless they have it in writing. Anything they say is likely a BS lie. Things that are vague (that is, nothing is actually written about it), ask for them to spell it out. Don't feel ashamed if you even think it is an 'obvious' answer - because the reality may surprise what you intuitively think will happen. The furnace thing was a hard lesson learned for me. They promised me something verbally, although the actual sales agreement never actually specified how the furnace system worked. They 'chose' to screw me to save ~$20K. Bastards.

During First/Second Walkthroughs:
Do not let the project manager for the development - his name is Larry - to bully you. If he rushes you, just tell him that there are too many problems and if he had fewer then it wouldn't take so long. If he threatens to leave, tell him you will tell his boss that he is not cooperating with you. Do not let him make you believe lies (one blatant lie he tried feeding ME was 'don't look so close [at the wall], regulation is 3 feet'). If you see a problem during your inspection, tell him to write it down. He will naturally refuse. If he does, tell him 'fine, you won't sign the document', whether it is the purchase agreement contract or PISD list. Don't let him scare you into thinking that you will lose the house. Call up the sales manager - and demand to meet with Larry's boss. His boss is called 'Sparks'. Relay your concerns to him. Do not SIGN ANYTHING unless it outlines what they need to fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 02:27 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,437,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
bowian, inspectors mean nothing. I had a pre-drywall inspector tour the house and all of his suggestions he verbally stated to the project manager as well as wrote it down. He also overheard the sales lady admit that they screwed me on the two zone two furnace system, which he also wrote into a letter. It ended amounting to nothing: DR Horton said "fine, take it or leave it", knowing that we could not easily leave the deal after waiting for months by that point, were past the rent renewal deadline for our apartment, and were already damaging our credit from credit checks by potential mortgage companies.
Well, if your inspector puts the findings in writing and you can use that during arbitration, then it does mean something. It never hurts to have a third party document issues. What messes you up here are rush tactics and an arbitration clause. Builders count on customers' unwillingness to walk away. With required arbitration and no right to walk away (with your deposit) should an inspection turn up issues, builders have an advantage. Have you contacted the Maryland Atty. Gen.'s office?

Old 04-30-2013, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow_wow View Post
We are interested in building a home with DR Horton specifically in the Birdlawn neighborhood. Does anyone in the area have experience with this builder, good or bad? Thanks in advance for you feedback!
My wife and I were in the Orlando fl area recently looking for an investment property and came upon a development that was being built by DR Horton . We went in and a gentleman met us to speak about the house. We were dressed for Florida weather and were not in semi-formal dress attire ! We were asking about the home and builder and what price range we were looking for. We were told to win the lottery if we were to afford one of their homes!! Not a smart move for him !! For you see we can afford the home and would pay CASH for the home!! Just because we didn't dress the part he wasn't interested in us!!! If this is what DR Horton sends to represent them them we will look elsewhere and give a respectful builder the business! Never judge a book by the cover!!!!

Old 05-01-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aokme2720 View Post
My wife and I were in the Orlando fl area recently looking for an investment property and came upon a development that was being built by DR Horton . We went in and a gentleman met us to speak about the house. We were dressed for Florida weather and were not in semi-formal dress attire ! We were asking about the home and builder and what price range we were looking for. We were told to win the lottery if we were to afford one of their homes!! Not a smart move for him !! For you see we can afford the home and would pay CASH for the home!! Just because we didn't dress the part he wasn't interested in us!!! If this is what DR Horton sends to represent them them we will look elsewhere and give a respectful builder the business! Never judge a book by the cover!!!!
What community was that in? My experience with DR Horton isn't snobbish attitude so much as bait-and-switch tactics and shoddy performance despite high cost.

Since this thread has been updated, I have some updates. I have given up talking to the subdivision project manager and now deal directly with the warranty manager, who is MUCH more understanding. He has attempted to address all major issues and has spent a great deal of time on filling out work orders to his subcontractors to fix issues with my house. Although it doesn't take away from the blatant mistreatement and flat-out lies made to me upon purchase, it does go a long way. And it does count for something to say that I absolutely love my house.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,985 times
Hi Molukai, my husband and I just purchased a lot in that subdivision and have been having all kinds of problems (especially with Karen), and the home is not even built yet! Can we speak to you offline? We would appreciate any help that you could provide.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 AM

74 posts, read 171,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
I also looked at Khov as a possibility as well prior to purchasing. They are about the same as DR Horton from my personal viewpoint (in terms of quality, aesthetics, etc.). Khov had some nicer basic features than DR Horton, but it also looked like the base pricing was higher as well. I hope that you've had better luck in your new home than we have, KCP!
Just a small update on our situation, having chosen to build with K. Hov over DR Horton.

The house itself is coming up beautifully. We are really happy with the construction. The pre-drywall meeting was well done and we were never rushed. I adore the sales woman for our development and the construction manager is on top of things.

HOWEVER, and this is a huge issue now, they are rushing us to close 5 weeks earlier than had been discussed all along. Before we ever signed a purchase agreement, we said we could not close before September. At every single meeting, we reminded them that September 1 was the earliest we could close. Everyone was very agreeable every time we mentioned this and we were told "We know, we know... September 1 it is!" Well, lo and behold, we're getting seriously pressured to close the last week of JULY. We are really upset and it's kicked up our anxiety to the max.

So the jury is still out on whether or not I would consider this a positive experience. If they back us into a corner and force us to close early, I will be livid.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassypebbles View Post
Hi Molukai, my husband and I just purchased a lot in that subdivision and have been having all kinds of problems (especially with Karen), and the home is not even built yet! Can we speak to you offline? We would appreciate any help that you could provide.

Hey jassy, I'll send you a PM with my phone number.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 PM

6 posts, read 7,027 times
My husband and I are currently in a contract now with DR Horton, and I am having issues with the loan, it seems like everything they are asking for we produce but they ask for something else. They are saying that the builder is going to cancel my contract as I am trying to go with their partner lenders but they don't want to wait. It kind of seems to me that something else is going on, like somebody offered more money, because I can't see how you will be willing to cancel that quick and easy.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:13 PM

Is your lender DHI?

Old 07-10-2013, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 7,027 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland