Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 11,406 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm moving to MD to begin work at Goddard in Greenbelt. I have been looking for rentals within a reasonable commuting distance, and I think I'm more confused than when I started . I have been looking in AA county mostly, and I've found some places in Annapolis, but I'm not entirely sure about the neighborhoods. For example, one place I found was on Lafayette Ave in Annapolis, another was on West St. and another was on Adams St. I also found a couple of places in Arnold, Odenton, and Severna Park.

I'm a single guy living on my own, so I'm only really concerned with the "shadiness" level of the neighborhoods; good schools and such are not applicable to me. There's only so much I can do over the Internet. I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 10:48 AM

20 posts, read 59,832 times
You cant go wrong with Arnold or Severna Park. Great place to live, close to the bay. Not the cheapest place to live but worth it.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the advice. I would like some more info on those Annapolis areas I mentioned, though. Does anyone know these areas?

Old 10-31-2007, 09:09 AM

7 posts, read 43,264 times
I grew up in AA county, specifically in Annapolis and truly loved living here and still do. While Annapolis has been going through a lot of construction for a while now and a huge surge of people moving into the area, some places still hold the old charm and laid back attitude. If you're looking to commute from here, you might want to look into areas close to your job, because traffic can be a killer since we're sandwiched between Baltimore and DC, but I know lots of people who live in Annapolis and commute to work for both. Severna Park and Arnold are also nice.

If you're talking about the Lafayette in Murry Hill the area is really cute and nice, lots of families living there for a long time, but there are some section 8 housing surrounding that area, can be shady but usually keeps to itself. Close to town, which would be nice for a single guy. West street can also be hit or miss. Closer into town is probably nicer and further out toward 97 gets a little more "urban sprawl." If you have any more specifics as to what you're looking at I can try to be more detailed. Hope this helps, good luck!

Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 12,474 times
Young single guy, like night life, try Federal Hill or Canton

Old 10-31-2007, 09:43 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,842 times
I agree with DtMcShane. The Baltimore Washington Parkway (295) is very accessible from Federal Hill, and Goddard is right off 295. Craigslist would have many listings for houses around there.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:47 AM

6 posts, read 70,502 times
Are you looking for apartments or houses to rent? If you're looking for Apartments try Harbor Gates on Bestgate Rd., zip 21401. I lived there just last year. Otherwise you could try Edgewater for house rentals.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:41 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
Stay away from West street!! I work in Annapolis, it's very busy street, very crowded street, and.. hate to say the further down it you go the more the "prettyness" degenerates into "slummyness".

I hate getting lost and turning onto West Street, I know ... I have to turn around sooner rather than later, that McDonalds on the left hand side is your "point of no return.." it's almost impossible to get outta there after that, hah!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:11 PM

137 posts, read 575,699 times
Stay away from any street with a dead President's name in Annapolis. That area near west st is known for muggings, drugs and the occasional murder. The rest of Annapolis is great. If you're going to be working in Greenbelt, try Crofton for a much nicer area with an easy commute.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Thanks for the help!

Wow, thanks for everyone's help! I really appreciate it.

To cel14, the Lafayette Ave I mentioned is near Church Circle. Is this the same Murray Hill area you mentioned?

To DtMcShane, can you elaborate on the places you mentioned? Canton and Federal Hill seem to be both in Baltimore. Is this correct?

To Drew55, I'm looking to rent for now, but Harbor Gates is a bit pricey for me.

If anyone has any suggestions in other counties, such as Howard or Montgomery, I'd love to hear it.

I've also found a place on Janwall St in Annapolis. Anyone familiar with this area?

Thanks again!

Last edited by lzb972; 11-03-2007 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland