Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 09:18 PM

7 posts, read 126,789 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about buying a townhouse in the Beechtree development, but I work in downtown DC. Wondering how long the commute would be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:50 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,186 times
Beechtree is off 301 unfortunately, there is no Public Transit out there except PG County's bus system The Bus. Yes it is called The Bus. In order to commute to DC you would either take Rt 4 (just outside Upper Marlboro and courthouse) or Rt 214 (on the Upper Marlboro/Bowie line). Both of those could also take you to the nearest Metro stop which would be Largo Town Center (214) or Branch Ave (Rt 4). Or The Bus could take you to the Metro Station

Old 04-09-2013, 09:04 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
The 301 to 214 route into DC may not be bad. The Rt. 4 commute would be worse, at least until you pass the turn off for Suitland Parkway and head into the Forestville area. The Suitland Pky option would be a pain in the rear.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:55 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Both good pieces of advice above.

It's a good haul from Beechtree to DC, but I wouldn't call it much different than someone commuting from Woodbridge VA or Vienna/Chantilly, VA or Germantown/Gaithersburg, MD to DC. There are literally thousands of of people who make these commutes daily. Basically, people are inclined to put up with a commute if they really like where they live. Beechtree is a very solid, slightly upscale neighborhood and you might find that it benefits outweight the "cost" of commuting. The cost vs. commute is the dilemma we all face. I call it "The DC Conundrum."

Old 04-14-2013, 08:32 PM

7 posts, read 126,789 times
Thanks for the input. I stayed out there a night and took the commuter bus from the Equestrian Center into DC for a trial run. It will be longer than I want my commute to be, but you are right about the "DC Conundrum."

Old 05-01-2013, 06:34 PM

14 posts, read 30,198 times
I live in Beechtree and travel to Crystal City everyday. My husband and I leave around 6:00 and it takes us about 40mins. We used to live in Fort Washington and the commute on Indian Head is worse...it takes about the same amount of time and its a shorter distance. The benefit of traveling Route 4 is that there are about 3 lights. It's all in the time you leave the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland