Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you raise your family in Prince George's County?
Yes 42 53.85%
No 36 46.15%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 05:59 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times

Advertisements

It's so interesting to consider the perspective of different people who move to this area. Usually their request for finding a place starts of with the usual I would like a place that is affordable, safe, near a metro, close to work for a short commute, with good schools and nice amenities. Sadly, in this reality that we live in, such a place does not exist, especially in the Washington DC area, where you are likely to give up some combination of those things in order to find peace of mind. There are varying opinions about Prince George's County. Of course, considering how large it is, there are varying places that either fit or do not fit the description closely of what individuals are looking for. In this topic, I am talking about a family, hypothetical or not, that has young school-age kids, who is looking for a long term place to raise their family. The question is, if you had to choose (whether you already made that decision or not) would you choose Prince George's County to raise your family? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 AM

671 posts, read 1,546,862 times
I have happily chosen my family's home to be in Fort Washington of Prince Georges County. It requires a personal vehicle to commute to DC, but it takes a very manageable amount of time to get from point A to point B even during rush hour periods. It also lacks a dedicated middle-class shopping area, but it does have very nice amenities (i.e. national park, YMCA, golf club, National Harbor). Lastly, the public schools leave much to be desired but the relatively low housing prices make private school an affordable option.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 AM

182 posts, read 477,228 times
I grew up and spent 31 years of my life in PG County (Laurel). When my wife and I were planning to buy a house last year, we considered Anne Arundel, Howard and Prince George's County. The only thing that we were sure of is that we wanted to be in Laurel or close to it.

For us, since we're looking to start a family, one of our most important considerations was the school system. I'm a product of PG County Schools (Oaklands and Montpelier Elementary, Eisenhower Middle and Laurel High) and though I came out ok, I know Howard County's System is significantly better. I will admit, the low home price in PG County was very tempting. If school wasn't a consideration, it would have been a much harder decision.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 PM

318 posts, read 566,984 times
If I were black, in a heart beat! Yes. Being White, No.

I liked Fort Washington, Upper Marlboro, Bowie and many areas outside the beltway. I liked how it is still open and wooded and looks like Fairfax County did in the 1970s. I find the people more laid back and friendly in PG County than in Fairfax VA. But as a white person I would feel out of place just like a black man would in Clifton/Fairfax VA where I rarely see any black people.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:59 PM

434 posts, read 1,118,468 times
Our family is Caucasian and I would choose any of the communities in the Route 1 corridor in a heartbeat again. There's just something about these communities that seems to engender a sort of neighborliness. People that are dismissing the county out of hand because of the schools (instead of evaluating each school on a case by case basis) are being short-sighted.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:55 PM

377 posts, read 665,324 times
PG County is pretty big. I moved here but there are a lot of places I wouldn't go in PG county.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 PM

81 posts, read 216,952 times
If I can afford private schools in that budget, I would strongly consider PG.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:10 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
I did move my family there for a while, but when my kids started reaching middle school age we left for Montgomery. We found the perfect place for us there.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:47 PM

299 posts, read 557,250 times
I still haven't lived here long enough to say with any certainty!

When I was first moving up here and researching things, it was like a broken record, hearing people warn me over and over and over, "You want to stay in Montgomery County for the good schools. Whatever you do, don't consider anything in Prince George!" Even realtors who aren't supposed to comment on such things, by law, would find sneaky ways to imply the same.

I will say that my brief experience working with some of the public school kids (grade-schoolers) in PG near the Anacostia River, confirmed much of what I was warned about. By and large, it was a "rough crowd" ... Good-hearted kids but a strong sense they came from rough backgrounds and many were clearly not the brightest.

But the longer I'm here, the more I realize that some people's idea of "crime ridden" is VASTLY different than mine! Where I come from, the nightly TV news spends the first 10-15 minutes of each broadcast rattling off the latest shootings, drug busts, car thefts, rapes, and more, before getting to the sports and weather. Still, I never felt "unsafe" in the city as long as I used a little common sense about where it was ok to walk after dark and where it probably wasn't, etc.

As a few others commented on these forums too, I was told a few times that I'd probably want to be wary of Germantown or the College Park areas, since they have "a lot of crime and gang problems". Gang problems? Seriously?! I laugh at the pathetic excuses for gangs then, out here!

More and more, I'm appalled by what people are willing to pay for real-estate in Montgomery County (whether rentals or actually buying a property). When my townhouse lease runs out, way out here in Poolesville (where I actually found something with 3 bedrooms that didn't eat up 75% of my monthly take home pay), I'll give a lot of consideration to Prince George, most likely. I have a strong feeling there are deals to be had there, and the MoCo folks are just bad-mouthing it to justify their overpaying for what they've got.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:34 AM

671 posts, read 1,546,862 times
Fort Washington is definitely becoming 'less black'. Totally ignoring National Harbor nearby, about 30-40% of the people I see while going to the local grocery store or restaurants are white. I have also noticed an uptick of non-Filipino Asians in the area. Sure, this is anecdotal based on my observations at any given time, but I think that due to the neighborliness and progressiveness of Fort Washington it is encouraging a more multi-cultural atmosphere. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that there will be a sudden point in the near future where developers are going to crowd to get in on the Oxon Hill and Fort Washington areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland