Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 AM

51 posts, read 89,935 times

Advertisements

What about Greenbelt itself...and by that, I mean historic Greenbelt? Houses go for between 90 and 200K, so very affordable. Plus there are UMCP buses that will take you to and from campus. It is also the safest area in Greenbelt, and I would venture to say safer than College Park (having lived in historic Greenbelt for 8 years with no problems).

Greenbelt Homes Inc | A community for people who value community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,923 times
Old Greenbelt is fine. We used to like the movie theater that showed artsy movies for cheap. UMCP is huge. Does stuff happen? Sure because 40,000 people go there. That's more than the population of some small cities. Not stumbling around drunk at 2 a.m. helps. Not a guarantee, but it helps. The school has shuttle buses, but the CP metro is walkable and bikeable to campus whereas Greenbelt metro is not.

Quote:
The umcp campus is nice.....the area around the campus not so much.
Just because some areas don't look like Disney built it doesn't make it dangerous. It's a heck of a lot nicer looking now than when I went there and I say that as a female who walked and jogged all over the campus and surrounding campus area alone and cut through woods, parking lots and alleys at all times of day and wee hours of night with no incident as did others I knew. I knew students that lived in Brentwood, Hyattsville before the changeover, Langley Park, Adelphi, Lanham and Greenbelt and they were never mugged, robbed, car jacked or threatened. The worst confrontation I ever had was with an overzealous ticket writer. I visited other colleges where you did NOT leave the campus after dark, period.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:36 AM

434 posts, read 1,118,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldway View Post
The umcp campus is nice.....the area around the campus not so much.
Oh for heaven's sake - this is a ridiculous comment.

I've lived within 2 miles of campus for the past 13 years and any neighborhood to the north, east, or south of campus will be just fine.

The neighborhoods that have a higher percentage of rentals (CP near Greenbelt, Berwyn section of CP) don't look as pretty, but they are perfectly nice and safe. In ALL areas around here, there are car break-ins, but sounds like the OP won't have to worry about that.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:38 AM

434 posts, read 1,118,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
Just because some areas don't look like Disney built it doesn't make it dangerous.
Absolutely right.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 AM

687 posts, read 1,377,591 times
Berwyn Heights is a fine place to live. So is College Park. My only suggestion is to avoid Springhill Lake Apartments or whatever they are calling it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland