Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 06:22 PM

69 posts, read 96,063 times

Advertisements

For days, I have been trying to rent this apartment.
I really do think its a nice apartment and a really great price. I've posted countless ads on craigslist.
Yeah I've gotten calls but no one serious.
I'm wondering if there is a sales tactic I'm missing out on? Or is $995 not a good deal for a whole apartment?
I just moved here from Michigan a few weeks ago but I got a different job. I need to move closer to the new job. Still learning the ropes around here.
Any advice would be wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 06:49 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,352 times
anything under $1000 that is 15 min from DC is a stretch and it varies

15 min in Montgomery County will put you in Burtonsville, Rockville and the rent is more than $1000 for a 1 BR

15 min in PG County will place you in Largo which may be in your price range but not in the best neighborhood..... otherwise, your in Bowie, Laurel and Upper Marlboro... which will place you in the $1100-$1500 range for a 1BR

If you want to pay $995 and be 15 min from DC you may want to look into getting a roommate an split the rent for a 2 or 3BR

Old 09-26-2013, 07:23 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
anything under $1000 that is 15 min from DC is a stretch and it varies

15 min in Montgomery County will put you in Burtonsville, Rockville and the rent is more than $1000 for a 1 BR

15 min in PG County will place you in Largo which may be in your price range but not in the best neighborhood..... otherwise, your in Bowie, Laurel and Upper Marlboro... which will place you in the $1100-$1500 range for a 1BR

If you want to pay $995 and be 15 min from DC you may want to look into getting a roommate an split the rent for a 2 or 3BR
Burtonsville, Laurel, Bowie and Rockville 15 minutes from DC? Maybe at midnight.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:56 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest_Madame View Post
I really do think its a nice apartment and a really great price. I've posted countless ads on craigslist.
I'm wondering if there is a sales tactic I'm missing out on? Or is $995 not a good deal for a whole apartment?
I just moved here from Michigan a few weeks ago but I got a different job. I need to move closer to the new job. Still learning the ropes around here.
Are you trying to sublease your apt? What is the city/location? That may have something to do with your problem.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:03 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
I rented out my property on Craig's list and one thing I believe makes a difference is pictures. We of course can't see the ad so I don't know what details you have added but it is also best to highlight the amenities nearby.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:18 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Burtonsville, Laurel, Bowie and Rockville 15 minutes from DC? Maybe at midnight.
They are "technically" 15-20 min from DC by location. Traffic wise they are not.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:19 AM

69 posts, read 96,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Are you trying to sublease your apt? What is the city/location? That may have something to do with your problem.
Its in Cheverly, Maryland.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:20 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
1. It's in PG county, so it will be a little harder to find a tenant, than say Silver Spring.
2. There is a glut of rentals in DC area right now.
3. 15 minutes to DC is meaningless. You are assuming driving, which is a bad thing to do. Public transit information, like how close in terms of walking distance to the metro is important. People who rent in the DC area this is important, if not critical. You cannot assume people driving into the district.
4. The safety of the neighborhood.

In general you are struggling because it is pretty clear you rented an apartment without knowing the area very much. You may be able to sublease, but I suggest transfering the lease instead.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Quote:
Cheverly in and of itself is well-liked by many, depending on the part of Cheverly your apt. is located. The issue could be a safety/crime perception or problem with regard to your complex/apt. location.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:37 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:

Care to provide the name of the complex? How many rooms? Bathrooms? Top floor? Bottom floor (makes a difference safety-wise)? Single women prefer higher floors. Bus routes?

At any rate, I echo Bowian's sentiments. The SFH portion of Cheverly is a good neighborhood. The further east on Rt. 202 you go, the more unfavorable the environment becomes. But streets and complex names would help us to paint a better picture for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland