Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 03:37 PM

46 posts, read 72,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Think of all the dollars being generated between Blacks in PG,DC and Baltimore City?
What do you mean by that??

Old 12-12-2013, 03:43 PM

46 posts, read 72,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
+1
Why is it the "wealth" definition is questioned when it concerns blacks...are blacks not allowed to be wealthy or something???

It seems as if blacks have an equal amount of income as their white counter parts they are not considered wealthy but large income??

So here I go, a number of blacks are wealthy. I know it hurts some people to hear this but they are.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:58 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWS08 View Post
Why is it the "wealth" definition is questioned when it concerns blacks...are blacks not allowed to be wealthy or something???

It seems as if blacks have an equal amount of income as their white counter parts they are not considered wealthy but large income??

So here I go, a number of blacks are wealthy. I know it hurts some people to hear this but they are.
I agree. There are plenty of wealthy blacks, especially in PG but the way the word is used is wrong. It has nothing to do with race to me. I am not sure where you have seen people describe wealth differently for blacks so I can't speak on that.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:28 PM

304 posts, read 714,030 times
I would never dream of investing in Baltimore, because I have no allegiance or ties to Baltimore, anymore than I do Seattle, Washington or San Diego, California. Also, I mentioned this on another thread months ago, there has always been a deep rivalry among blacks in PGC/DC and Bmore. Some people may not wish to acknowledge this, but it's very much true. I even experienced it when I traveled overseas this summer with a group of PGCPS high schoolers, and there was a school from Baltimore on our trip. The Baltimore students were very impolite and messy when it came to us... and specifically us. I've never felt "at home" in all the times I've been to Baltimore. Seems as foreign to me as Hong Kong! I'd invest in Washington, DC before thinking about Baltimore. DC has relevance to me. In the last five years, I have been to Baltimore about five times, and all of those times were for business purposes, never leisure.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Because you take care of home first, and there is no incentive to do so.

There are places for black professionals to network and socialize. Pick a bar or club that is trending and check out the happy hour. There are professional organizations with Baltimore members. There are black artists in the Baltimore area; I know one. He is also a promoter for jazz groups and events in the city. There may not be as many places in DC, but is there a reason there should be, and should DC and Baltimore really be that much alike?

Finally, why not mobilize blacks in Baltimore to come together to promote small business, arts, etc.?

^^^^

Old 12-12-2013, 04:54 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWS08 View Post
I said similar things in the MoCo thread so it has nothing to do with race. A lot of people don't know what wealth actually means.

What I said applies to all races. Wealth is owning money. Few people do these days.. black or not.

Now if you have $100,000 bucks in the bank you can call that "wealth". However it doesn't make you "wealthy" since if you stopped working you would blow through it in a year or two. True wealth is very hard to lose. A rich person can become poor a lot easier than a wealthy person.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:14 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I agree. Wealth is used too loosely. Making a lot of money doesn't mean you have wealth. Few people have the amount of wealth to invest in any business especially not one that isn't near you.

You just affirmed my theory that salary does not equal wealth. If one doesn't have the amount of wealth to invest....one isn't wealthy. Wealthy means you call your financial guy and arrange to buy or sell. I know folks who do so regularly. Not necessarily in this area but in other states. My brother wanted a Bobcat for his back yard but didn't want to shell out $60K for a new one. He dickered with some guy over one a year old, got him down to $30K and wrote him a check then and there. That was for a toy and only touches on his lifestyle.
I know an older guy in Tantallon you might take to be an old retired bum - he is a closet millionaire, WWII veteran and retired from the State dept. He could invest in anything but at 95 doesn't as he is happy where he is. He invests in art and takes his 60 year old girlfriend around the world a couple of times a year.
He just sold his plane and two large boats the rest of us were tired of maintaining so they can sit in the water.
1st world woes, right?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:36 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Think of all the dollars being generated between Blacks in PG,DC and Baltimore City?
In a perfect world this would be a smart move, but too many obstacles in place keeping us apart, namely 'US'. We get in our own way. This 'I don't like Baltimore or I don't like DC because' has to be squashed before we can talk about joining dollars.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:52 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemistry View Post
I would never dream of investing in Baltimore, because I have no allegiance or ties to Baltimore, anymore than I do Seattle, Washington or San Diego, California. Also, I mentioned this on another thread months ago, there has always been a deep rivalry among blacks in PGC/DC and Bmore. Some people may not wish to acknowledge this, but it's very much true. I even experienced it when I traveled overseas this summer with a group of PGCPS high schoolers, and there was a school from Baltimore on our trip. The Baltimore students were very impolite and messy when it came to us... and specifically us. I've never felt "at home" in all the times I've been to Baltimore. Seems as foreign to me as Hong Kong! I'd invest in Washington, DC before thinking about Baltimore. DC has relevance to me. In the last five years, I have been to Baltimore about five times, and all of those times were for business purposes, never leisure.
I got treated differently immediately when I told folks I was from DC. It was like I was an alien or something. But after awhile I brushed it off and it wasn't an issue anymore. I remember back in the day that the rivalry between Baltimore and DC/PG was on the basketball court. Plenty of trash talking but the best ball playing ever. I don't know if this still happens but it would be nice to go back to those days when it wasn't so serious and so much animosity between the two. Baltimore needs a 'renewal' jump start to get it going and make it appealing to outside dollars. Someone has to take the risk in the blighted areas, be the pioneer. I don't know when or how, but people here need to make their mayor/city government more accountable for the stagnation here. I lived here for awhile and it still looks like the same city it was back in 2000, the newest development being Harbor East. I think you had to look at boarded up houses and blight and despair everyday it would affect you too. Living here I had my share of house break ins, car break-ins, disrespected by teenagers, chased by dogs, you name it, it happened to me in Baltimore. But, in the same vein, it's criminal how this city has been 'kept' for so long. But I'm done, I won't be living there anymore. But it's the largest city in Maryland and full of potential. Who's gonna be the one to push the button and get something going. DC was an urban mess for decades. Mayors Barry and Williams made it their business to change the city dynamic and make it appealing and a first class tourist city. They had the vision. This current city government has no vision for Baltimore.

Last edited by choccity; 12-12-2013 at 07:07 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 07:07 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You just affirmed my theory that salary does not equal wealth. If one doesn't have the amount of wealth to invest....one isn't wealthy. Wealthy means you call your financial guy and arrange to buy or sell. I know folks who do so regularly. Not necessarily in this area but in other states. My brother wanted a Bobcat for his back yard but didn't want to shell out $60K for a new one. He dickered with some guy over one a year old, got him down to $30K and wrote him a check then and there. That was for a toy and only touches on his lifestyle.
I know an older guy in Tantallon you might take to be an old retired bum - he is a closet millionaire, WWII veteran and retired from the State dept. He could invest in anything but at 95 doesn't as he is happy where he is. He invests in art and takes his 60 year old girlfriend around the world a couple of times a year.
He just sold his plane and two large boats the rest of us were tired of maintaining so they can sit in the water.
1st world woes, right?
Sounds like wealth to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland