Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 8,632 times

Advertisements

My son and a friend want to share an apt this year. One is going to College Park and the other is going to UMBC. Well, looks like Laurel's right in the middle. Can anyone suggest any neighborhoods or better yet apartments where it would be safe for them to live? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 04:29 PM

57 posts, read 297,420 times
I've never noticed safety to be an issue in the 4 years that i've lived and shopped in Laurel.

That being said, some apartments are more expensive than others. Once you account for the age of the apartments, that should be the biggest indicator of whether or not it is safe. THE safest area of Laurel, regardless of County, is West Laurel. Unfortunately, there are no apartments or condos or townhouses there, but it is possible that there might be a rancher available to rent. There are new apartments in Russet (right by the BW parkway and near a walmart) and new apartments right behind Laurel Mall (excuse me - "Laurel Commons"). The latter are really expensive, I hear, but you can walk to about 20 restaurants. There are other apartments behind the mall, but they look kinda old. Not ugly, just old. If it were my son, I would try to rent a condo in one of the newer condo developments behind Lowes Shopping Center or try and rent a condo or apartment in Russet.

Last edited by laurelengineer; 07-10-2007 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-11-2007, 01:54 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolosans View Post
My son and a friend want to share an apt this year. One is going to College Park and the other is going to UMBC. Well, looks like Laurel's right in the middle. Can anyone suggest any neighborhoods or better yet apartments where it would be safe for them to live? Thanks
Summit Russet area and off Route 1 near Savage/Major Car Dealership (forgot the name, just know they don't negotitate prices) has some nice complexes

Old 07-11-2007, 05:53 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,582 times
I have a friend who lives in a condo behind the Best Buy/ Lowes shopping center on rte 1, and he is happy there.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:40 PM

33 posts, read 170,093 times
Hi -- My husband and I live at Camden Russett in Laurel and we would NOT recommend it. We have only been here since September and we are planning on leaving ASAP. Management is rude and unhelpful and the apts are fairly expensive. In addition, we have had quite a few problems in general with the complex. In April part of our building caught fire and we were outside for 5 hours in the middle of the night. Management was called but no one ever showed up and we were stuck outside or in the gym in the cold (it was that freak night where it went down to about32degrees). The building is just being reconstructed and several residents were displaced. We then had our storage broken into. Just 3 weeks ago, our apt was burglarized and all of our electronics, jewelry, etc. were stolen. After speaking with the police, we found that numerous apts have been broken into recently as well as many cars. The police also said that since management has changed several times, they have become very unresponsive, unhelpful, and uncaring.

I understand that these things can happen anywhere, but what dissappoints me is that management is totally unconcerned. My husband has spoken with them numerous times and they continually lie or make promises that are not kept.

Finally, our lease is up in 2 months... We have the option of renewing for another year but our rent will increase $150 per month, or going month to month (what we wanted to do b/c we are about to buy) but our rent will increase almost $1000 a month.

I hope this helps. Good luck to your son!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:16 AM

135 posts, read 605,867 times
Default Apartment complexes in PG County

Lerner drove this county into the toilet with apartments thru the 70's. But look on the bright side, Frank Howard is no longer the last MLB superstar for a 6 year old to idolize anymore.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:44 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
Laurel is a funny place for renting. Some of the older houses that are being rented out can be had cheap. Sometimes if you really hunt you can can get lucky. I live in a 3 bedroom duplex with a yard, deck, laundry room, etc. and pay $850. Of course it was built in 1898, lol. Next door is a 4 unit (2 bedrooms) building that rents at $650. I think if you are deligent in your search the boys can find a deal. Look in the Laurel Leader and Penny Saver magazine. Main street has a couple of very small complexes, older but I think safe enough. I would avoid the larger complexes in South Laurel off of Route 197. There are alot of older privately owned small apartments everywhere. One of the realtors to check with to find something privately rented would be Century 21-HT Brown. I don't think two young men will have too many safety issues in Laurel, they'll be OK.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,308 times
Default Question for kjg1963

I have a friend that lives in Laurel that keeps getting slammed with rent increases. If you could provide more info on the 4 unit building it would be greatly appreciated or the area you describe where you live. He is single, non-smoker, neat as a pin, quiet and just trying to find a nice place close to his job at the university of maryland. Thanks.

[quote=kjg1963;1591530]Laurel is a funny place for renting. Some of the older houses that are being rented out can be had cheap. Sometimes if you really hunt you can can get lucky. I live in a 3 bedroom duplex with a yard, deck, laundry room, etc. and pay $850. Of course it was built in 1898, lol. Next door is a 4 unit (2 bedrooms) building that rents at $650. I think if you are deligent in your search the boys can find a deal. Look in the Laurel Leader and Penny Saver magazine. Main street has a couple of very small complexes, older but I think safe enough. I would avoid the larger complexes in South Laurel off of Route 197. There are alot of older privately owned small apartments everywhere. One of the realtors to check with to find something privately rented would be Century 21-HT Brown. I don't think two young men will have too many safety issues in Laurel, they'll be OK.[/q

Old 11-30-2007, 08:24 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
Right now the building next to me is fully rented and I don't think anyone is moving out any time soon. However, there is a building down the street that has a "For Rent" sign. It is a lone apartment building in a single family home neighborhood. It looks well kept. I'll try to make note of the number when I drive by. Like I said, its hit or miss, and sometimes these places are by word of mouth only. The area is around Montgomery and 10th Street. Its the historical district. The building is on Old Sandy Spring across from the Bottom Dollar Grocery Store.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,265 times
Default Lovely Laurel....

OK, so it wasn't that lovely, but Laurel isn't that bad compared with a lot of other places I lived, i.e. South Florida....Anyway, just went up for Thanksgiving and there are a lot of fairly safe and modern apartments for your boys to check out. The Russett area is a great spot right now, with easy access to the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, shopping, restaurants and grocery stores and decent apartment homes with new amenities. The area right around the Laurel Mall (or Laurel Commons *shudder*) is starting to come into its own with new apartment homes going up and a lot of restaurants and shopping, although they may be pricey for a typical college students. Avoid South Laurel at all costs. (My folks live in Montpelier but this area is somewhat immune compared to some of the seedier complexes nearby). Northwest Laurel isn't a bad option either, although shopping isn't as plentiful, it is easy access to I-95. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland