Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 09:28 AM

14 posts, read 25,388 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am considering relocating to Downtown Silver Spring. What can I say, I love the overall vibe, and whenever I'm down there I feel like I'm in shopping heaven.

I'm originally from NY, but I've lived in the Dc Metro area for a few years now (4 to be exact) and I definitely plan on staying, since I love my job/career. But I am wondering if it's worthwhile to pay $1900 to reside in the downtown Silver Spring area?

Does anyone reside in Downtown Silver Spring? If so, what do you like most about living in the area?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 10:17 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,693,997 times
My favorite thing is that it's a very diverse area that's constantly adding new and interesting amenities. I think it's unquestionably the most dynamic and interesting submarket in MoCo - if not the region - thanks to its balance of urban/suburban. I find it to have the best of both worlds in that it's very walkable, diverse, and dense like a city, but still has ample parking, parks, lower crime, and is family-friendly like a suburb.

There are constantly new places opening up, e.g. recent or planned places such as Urban Butcher, Denizens Brewery, Bump N' Grind, Scion, Mix, Olivia's View, Urban Winery, Pete's, Kaldi's, Zensai, etc. The vast majority of offerings are unique and interesting, as opposed to the usual suburban market which is largely chain-filled.

DTSS is also more affordable than other urbanized suburbs (Bethesda, Arlington), which is what spurs all of the above - the diversity and the ability for unique bars/restaurants to keep coming online. Bethesda, of course, has some interesting places open up from time to time, but more often than not the sky-high rents naturally mean only national chains can afford to move in.

$1900 is steep, but I'm sure a comparable apartment in Bethesda would be hundreds more.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
My favorite thing is that it's a very diverse area that's constantly adding new and interesting amenities. I think it's unquestionably the most dynamic and interesting submarket in MoCo - if not the region - thanks to its balance of urban/suburban. I find it to have the best of both worlds in that it's very walkable, diverse, and dense like a city, but still has ample parking, parks, lower crime, and is family-friendly like a suburb.

There are constantly new places opening up, e.g. recent or planned places such as Urban Butcher, Denizens Brewery, Bump N' Grind, Scion, Mix, Olivia's View, Urban Winery, Pete's, Kaldi's, Zensai, etc. The vast majority of offerings are unique and interesting, as opposed to the usual suburban market which is largely chain-filled.

DTSS is also more affordable than other urbanized suburbs (Bethesda, Arlington), which is what spurs all of the above - the diversity and the ability for unique bars/restaurants to keep coming online. Bethesda, of course, has some interesting places open up from time to time, but more often than not the sky-high rents naturally mean only national chains can afford to move in.

$1900 is steep, but I'm sure a comparable apartment in Bethesda would be hundreds more.
I'm sure there are some less expensive apartments in downtown Silver Spring, but I really like where my apartment is situated. It's basically right across from whole foods.

The area around downtown Silver Spring is the right mix of urban and suburban. I'm looking forward to relocating from Rockville, MD.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe_inMD View Post
I'm sure there are some less expensive apartments in downtown Silver Spring, but I really like where my apartment is situated. It's basically right across from whole foods.

The area around downtown Silver Spring is the right mix of urban and suburban. I'm looking forward to relocating from Rockville, MD.
Citron? Very cool - welcome!

Old 09-24-2014, 06:11 PM

120 views, but only 2 comments regarding my original post...

Old 09-24-2014, 08:29 PM

566 posts, read 1,558,205 times
Quote:
120 views, but only 2 comments regarding my original post...
Not sure what more there is to add. It's a very diverse area with a good vibe, a good mix of building densities, and lower housing costs that most other desirable areas in the DC metro area. I seriously considered moving there but it's too far from my office.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
Not sure what more there is to add. It's a very diverse area with a good vibe, a good mix of building densities, and lower housing costs that most other desirable areas in the DC metro area. I seriously considered moving there but it's too far from my office.
Most of the newer, 1-bedroom apartments in Downtown Silver Spring are definitely not inexpensive.

I'm just wondering about the nightlife.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Most of the newer, 1-bedroom apartments in Downtown Silver Spring are definitely not inexpensive.

I'm just wondering about the nightlife.
Certainly not inexpensive, but largely cheaper than other urbanized, 1st ring suburbs (Bethesda, North Bethesda, Tysons, Reston, Rosslyn).

Nightlife is pretty good, but not a party/club scene or anything like that, a la AdMo or U St. Quarry House (a dive bar) and Sidebar (a cocktail bar) are exceptional. Society is a nice upscale lounge vibe. Olivia's View is a new rooftop bar on top of Society. Denizens is a new brewery/beer garden that's been a lot of fun for summer nights outside. Scion has an excellent craft beer selection - if that's your scene - but it's mostly a happy hour-type place. McGinty's is a fairly generic irish pub, but it has a spacious upstairs bar area that fills up nicely on the weekends. Fire Station 1 is a overpriced sports bar, but is fine for catching a game. Piratz Tavern is a bar where staff dress up as pirates. Yes, you read that right. Yes, it's as dumb as it sounds.

The Fillmore is a performance venue - very nice space and they get a very wide range of performers/genres and also hold events, e.g. a local craft beer festival the other night. AFI is considered one of the best movie theaters in the region that runs indie films, as well as film festivals and older films/cult classics. Regal is the basic movie theater, though it's huge and has IMAX/3D showings. The Silver Spring Black Box Theater is what it sounds like (about 150 person blackbox play performance).

There are more than 150 restaurants in Silver Spring - many of them excellent - including cuisines from about every corner of the world.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Certainly not inexpensive, but largely cheaper than other urbanized, 1st ring suburbs (Bethesda, North Bethesda, Tysons, Reston, Rosslyn).

Nightlife is pretty good, but not a party/club scene or anything like that, a la AdMo or U St. Quarry House (a dive bar) and Sidebar (a cocktail bar) are exceptional. Society is a nice upscale lounge vibe. Olivia's View is a new rooftop bar on top of Society. Denizens is a new brewery/beer garden that's been a lot of fun for summer nights outside. Scion has an excellent craft beer selection - if that's your scene - but it's mostly a happy hour-type place. McGinty's is a fairly generic irish pub, but it has a spacious upstairs bar area that fills up nicely on the weekends. Fire Station 1 is a overpriced sports bar, but is fine for catching a game. Piratz Tavern is a bar where staff dress up as pirates. Yes, you read that right. Yes, it's as dumb as it sounds.

The Fillmore is a performance venue - very nice space and they get a very wide range of performers/genres and also hold events, e.g. a local craft beer festival the other night. AFI is considered one of the best movie theaters in the region that runs indie films, as well as film festivals and older films/cult classics. Regal is the basic movie theater, though it's huge and has IMAX/3D showings. The Silver Spring Black Box Theater is what it sounds like (about 150 person blackbox play performance).

There are more than 150 restaurants in Silver Spring - many of them excellent - including cuisines from about every corner of the world.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post all of the above information. I greatly appreciate it.

I am looking forward to exploring Society, Olivia's View, the Fillmore and AFI.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:29 AM

131 posts, read 344,377 times
Nope. Not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland