Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:27 AM

15 posts, read 25,895 times

Advertisements

We are relocating UK to Gaithersburg for work (americans hanging out in the UK for the past 5 years). We will have a week in the area to look for a rental vs a house to buy.
We are looking around $650K prices for a 4br house in a neighborhood.
We have 2 boys 8 and 10 when we move so schools are important.

Suggestions on areas to look? Someone we know suggested the Wootton area, but also noted it's like a pressure cooker for academics.
thoughts?
other areas to look at?
we were advised to stay left of 270.
north potomac, poolesville, germantown?
would like to keep drive low if possible (medimmune) so we don't think we want to look as high up as frederick just north of there.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 10:41 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelleyBennett View Post
we were advised to stay left of 270.
north potomac, poolesville, germantown?
My first choice would be North Potomac which shares a zip code with Gaithersburg. Second choice: Poolesville used to be rural, but is being developed quickly. Germantown would be my third choice.

Or you could try to find a reverse commute from Derwood or Rockville. Your price range would get an older house, but an easier commute.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:13 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,528 times
Derwood Gaithersburg or Germntown

Old 07-20-2016, 01:01 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
My first choice would be North Potomac which shares a zip code with Gaithersburg. Second choice: Poolesville used to be rural, but is being developed quickly. Germantown would be my third choice.

Or you could try to find a reverse commute from Derwood or Rockville. Your price range would get an older house, but an easier commute.
What he said above.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

This.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
This.

ok. so- north potomac. does above vs below muddy branch matter?

Old 07-21-2016, 11:07 AM

5 posts, read 5,921 times
The easy way to search, use Redfin.com and search by typing the name of an Elementary school, below is a list of high rated and corresponding good neighborhoods that you should consider. All of the below will have homes in your price range, you cant go wrong with any of the neighborhoods that feed the elementary schools listed below. Using the method below you dont have to worry about good vs bad neighborhood, the list below is comprehensive of highrated schools. Also all of these are within 15 minutes of Medimmune

Use the elementary schools below to search...

Germantown/Boyds 20874:
Ronald McNair
Spark M Matsanagu

Gaithersburg/Darnestown/North Potomac 20878:
Thurgood Marshall
Diamond
Jones Lane
Darnestown
Rachel Carson
Dufief

Last edited by md93r1; 07-21-2016 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: additional info

Old 07-21-2016, 03:40 PM

thanks md93r1

Old 07-21-2016, 04:17 PM

7 posts, read 15,542 times
You should also probably use padmapper.com. It's a little more helpful when it comes to the geography of things. Mostly for rentals but I can't imagine it not being useful.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelleyBennett View Post
ok. so- north potomac. does above vs below muddy branch matter?
No. Muddy Branch is not the dividing line. I would say western side of Great Seneca highway. That would be the side The Kentlands is on. Most of the homes you will want would probably be to the western side of Darnestown Rd (MD-28). I should clarify. I'm thinking of Muddy Branch Rd in Gaithersburg (east of Great Seneca), and I just realized you might be talking about the area of Muddy Branch down past 28. I would be happy on either side of Muddy Branch down that way. Quince Orchard or Wooton are the schools for that area, and both are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland