Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,712 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
So I wasn't sure which forum to post this in (MD, VA, or DC since it concerns metro area, namely the Beltway). I decided to post it here because the majority of the commute in question would take place in Maryland, and that's where my allegiances lie (will explain soon).

So I've been in the DMV for 5+ years and am quite familiar with traffic, terrible drivers, and the WTFMATA. I've lived in several different group houses around NW DC and Chevy Chase MD before saving enough to settle into my own place in Takoma Park, MD this year.

For most of this year, I've been working a job that's pretty much all remote, so I've been working from home and using the rest of my time to volunteer and be active in the community. Recently, however, I just found out that my security clearance went through and I'll be working an *awesome* job in Virginia, by the Dunn Loring station. Because the whole process was so long, drawn out, and nebulous, I didn't consider the location of the then-hypothetical new job when I was choosing my new place. I signed a one-year lease with the intention of staying long-term.

Here's the thing. I LOVE Takoma Park. LOVE. I'm a left wing, liberal wild child, I like to run and bike along Sligo Creek, I've joined a few of the local organizations, I've made good friends around Montgomery County, I adore Congressman Raskin. In addition to that, I have a spacious, one-bedroom, BEAUTIFUL apartment with TWO private patios for $1250 and RENT CONTROLLED (Thanks, Marc Elrich! )

Now I'm sure Northern Virginia has its good points. I know places like Arlington have more people my own age (29) and more nightlife (I don't really care too much about that), but I wouldn't think I'd find anything comparable in space/price and I find NoVa to be just too much....asphalt. So that's why I didn't choose it from the getgo.

But....how soul-crushing is the commute going to be? Car or metro? I know Audible and podcasts are a thing, but I'm kind of stressed out about Beltway driving and it'd be something I'd really have to grow a pair and get used to. From what I know, the job has semi-adjustable hours, in that I could work 8-4 or maybe even 7-3 to avoid the worst of the worst... but will the commute to VA be so horrific that I will lose all time, energy, and love for my granola home?

I'd appreciate your honest opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 01:05 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKPKInna View Post
.....Recently, however, I just found out that my security clearance went through and I'll be working an *awesome* job in Virginia, by the Dunn Loring station......

But....how soul-crushing is the commute going to be? Car or metro?
I did a similar commute by car for several years: Silver Spring to Falls Church at Rte 50. It was dreadful at times, but it was also good for my career. The worst days were when snow clogged the Cabin John Bridge and it took several hours to get home.

Since your job is close to the Dunn Loring Metro, I'd suggest using Metro. If you have to drive, I'd suggest finding the best alternative to the Beltway. There are routes through Arlington and Washington DC back to Takoma Park.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:17 AM

341 posts, read 423,826 times
Your politics would probably not change your commute.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Here's the thing. I LOVE Takoma Park. LOVE.
....how soul-crushing is the (VA) commute going to be?

Look for a different job. In Maryland or DC.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:59 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,030,896 times
There are several arguments in favor of the OP remaining in Takoma Park. The most important one is the rent controlled apartment. It could be worth $400-600 per month in savings over a place in Virginia.

The other factor for the OP is the aggravation of Virginia politics. With a legislature dominated by rural conservatives, Virginia will continue to pass laws that will annoy the OP.

I believe the OP should try the commute for the term of her existing lease. I suggust a commute through Rock Creek Park, and follow the signs at the monuments to Route 66. Since it is a reverse commute, single occupancy vehicles are allowed. If it becomes too difficult, then she should consider moving.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:33 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,565,305 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,
So I wasn't sure which forum to post this in (MD, VA, or DC since it concerns metro area, namely the Beltway). I decided to post it here because the majority of the commute in question would take place in Maryland, and that's where my allegiances lie (will explain soon).

So I've been in the DMV for 5+ years and am quite familiar with traffic, terrible drivers, and the WTFMATA. I've lived in several different group houses around NW DC and Chevy Chase MD before saving enough to settle into my own place in Takoma Park, MD this year.

For most of this year, I've been working a job that's pretty much all remote, so I've been working from home and using the rest of my time to volunteer and be active in the community. Recently, however, I just found out that my security clearance went through and I'll be working an *awesome* job in Virginia, by the Dunn Loring station. Because the whole process was so long, drawn out, and nebulous, I didn't consider the location of the then-hypothetical new job when I was choosing my new place. I signed a one-year lease with the intention of staying long-term.

Here's the thing. I LOVE Takoma Park. LOVE. I'm a left wing, liberal wild child, I like to run and bike along Sligo Creek, I've joined a few of the local organizations, I've made good friends around Montgomery County, I adore Congressman Raskin. In addition to that, I have a spacious, one-bedroom, BEAUTIFUL apartment with TWO private patios for $1250 and RENT CONTROLLED (Thanks, Marc Elrich! )

Now I'm sure Northern Virginia has its good points. I know places like Arlington have more people my own age (29) and more nightlife (I don't really care too much about that), but I wouldn't think I'd find anything comparable in space/price and I find NoVa to be just too much....asphalt. So that's why I didn't choose it from the getgo.

But....how soul-crushing is the commute going to be? Car or metro? I know Audible and podcasts are a thing, but I'm kind of stressed out about Beltway driving and it'd be something I'd really have to grow a pair and get used to. From what I know, the job has semi-adjustable hours, in that I could work 8-4 or maybe even 7-3 to avoid the worst of the worst... but will the commute to VA be so horrific that I will lose all time, energy, and love for my granola home?

I echo the sentiment about taking the metro and staying where you are. You're time away from work needs to be somewhere you enjoy living. I was always advised not to let your job be a major factor in where you live. Mainly because the job can change. I work with people who commute from PA and WV and they have no plans of relocating to be closer to the job because they love where they live. I have always had to commute be it DC or VA but enjoy where I live so I suck it up for the ability to live where I want. It's a personal choice bu I would see how the commute and the job goes and make a decision when it's time to renew your lease.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:34 AM

45,346 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Thousands of people do so.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:49 AM

993 posts, read 766,659 times
I lived in lower MoCo for 40 years. I know the area well. I've known lots of people who've driven a similar commute. It's not pretty these days, but it is doable.

I'd stay put for the time being. I don't know Arlington well anymore but I think it's unlikely you'll be able to replicate the Takoma Park feel in Nova. Some of my friends live in Takoma Park and are active there. For them it's home unlike any other place they've lived.

You don't know for certain that this job is for you until you start working. You do know that TP is where you want to be.

Last edited by homeonthelittlemountain; 10-10-2017 at 08:48 AM..

Old 10-10-2017, 08:57 AM

341 posts, read 423,826 times
People who live around me probably think and vote differently than I do. And yet I sleep there. I poop there. I commute from there. I appreciate diverse views and diverse people and don't need an echo chamber. Good luck with maintaining your safe space.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:54 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,880,874 times
Stay in Tacoma Park. At least you metro. Your commute could be much worse actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland