Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:07 AM

60 posts, read 290,640 times

Advertisements

Well, Ft. washington schools are NOT the best. I would look into private schooling if you can afford it, or check out the new charter and magnet schools in PG. I would not put my child in a pg county school that wasn't in Bowie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 01:33 PM

311 posts, read 1,386,361 times
I HATE IT when people bash PG County, having lived there for 12 years and loved it. However, I must say that PG schools suck, and Fort Washington schools are not much better than PG schools overall. There are, however, affordable private schools. I'm judging based upon your price range for a house that you would probably be able to afford a good private schools. The thing I loved about the private schools in Maryland is that they are small enough that the principal knows every student, and all the students know each other too. It was more like a family at both private schools I experienced.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:02 PM

162 posts, read 543,665 times
I don't feel right bashing anything that I haven't experienced first hand. But it's hard to ignore the fact that 98% of anyone I've talked to said NoVA is much better to live in than anywhere in MD much less PG county. If you only hear a couple people saying it then fine. But when it's overwhelming, there must be some truth to it. For me, taking into consideration the fact that we might be living there for a long time, it's a very important decision. Most military families that move into a new location don't plan to be there for more than 3 or 4 years. I fully anticipate the possibility of living in this next house for the rest of my life. So I'm going to scrutinize EVERYTHING. Since I started this thread, I have received many private messages explaining thoughts about each and I have also talked to a few more people outside this forum. Not one of the messages or people had anything good to say about PG county. I'm still holding onto the possibility of living there once I check it out myself. However, to be honest, I'm second and third guessing the title of this thread.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:19 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
There are places in Maryland that are as goodas, or better than anywhere in Virginia. However, those places are not near Ft Washington., or even in PG County. Based on your original post and requirements, I will again reommend you check out areas along Franconia Rd. or Kingstowne (sp?) south of Alexandria. Stay away from Rt. 1. That will put you about halfway between Andrews and Centreville.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:57 AM

60 posts, read 290,640 times
I have lived in PG county as well, and there are many parts I enjoy and some really pretty neighborhoods in Ft. Washington. But as a PG county school teacher, the schools are NOT good. There are many great teachers, but other circumstances in the school that make most of schools not places I would send my own children.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRB97 View Post
I have lived in PG county as well, and there are many parts I enjoy and some really pretty neighborhoods in Ft. Washington. But as a PG county school teacher, the schools are NOT good. There are many great teachers, but other circumstances in the school that make most of schools not places I would send my own children.
One can read all the reviews and polls in the world about a subject and get a great idea of how good or bad something is. But it pales in comparison to hearing from the proverbial horses mouth.

Thanks for sharing and confirming my research.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:12 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRB97 View Post
Well, Ft. washington schools are NOT the best. I would look into private schooling if you can afford it, or check out the new charter and magnet schools in PG. I would not put my child in a pg county school that wasn't in Bowie.
What about Mitchelville, Laurel, and Upper Marlboro.........

Old 04-09-2008, 07:29 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
What about Mitchelville, Laurel, and Upper Marlboro.........
Remember, the OP is interested in living somewhere between Centreville, VA and Andrews AFB. Those areas won't work well for his plans.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Remember, the OP is interested in living somewhere between Centreville, VA and Andrews AFB. Those areas won't work well for his plans.
Your right. However, we did look in Upper Marlboro out of desperation really. It's just too far of a commute to Chantilly.

On that note, I'm actually in D.C. right now trying to find a home and to check out the commute times first hand. I'm shocked and relieved at the same time. Maybe I just got lucky but I don't find the commutes that bad. I drove from Quantico (where I'm staying) to Andrews AFB at 5:30 am and I was on base by 6:15am. 36 miles in 45 minutes isn't bad at all especially considering Quantico is a few miles south of Woodbridge. So I thought I'd try it the next day at 6:30am. I think I was the only one in D.C. looking to get stuck in traffic. Anyway, that commute only took 45 minutes as well. I even tried from Chantilly to Andrews (45 minutes) and Andrews to Quantico (in the afternoon at 4:45pm). Nothing I did took more than 45 minutes. Sure, there was stop and go traffic. But it didn't last long and eventually moved quite well. The only trouble commute I found was from Andrews to Chantilly leaving at 8:15am. That one took 1 hr 45 minutes.

Knowing that Woodbridge is a viable solution to our problem is comforting.

Kevin

Old 04-10-2008, 12:54 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman1 View Post
Your right. However, we did look in Upper Marlboro out of desperation really. It's just too far of a commute to Chantilly.

On that note, I'm actually in D.C. right now trying to find a home and to check out the commute times first hand. I'm shocked and relieved at the same time. Maybe I just got lucky but I don't find the commutes that bad. I drove from Quantico (where I'm staying) to Andrews AFB at 5:30 am and I was on base by 6:15am. 36 miles in 45 minutes isn't bad at all especially considering Quantico is a few miles south of Woodbridge. So I thought I'd try it the next day at 6:30am. I think I was the only one in D.C. looking to get stuck in traffic. Anyway, that commute only took 45 minutes as well. I even tried from Chantilly to Andrews (45 minutes) and Andrews to Quantico (in the afternoon at 4:45pm). Nothing I did took more than 45 minutes. Sure, there was stop and go traffic. But it didn't last long and eventually moved quite well. The only trouble commute I found was from Andrews to Chantilly leaving at 8:15am. That one took 1 hr 45 minutes.

Knowing that Woodbridge is a viable solution to our problem is comforting.

Kevin
Or you could have done a thorough research and checked outh Montgomery County such as Rockville, Bethesda, or Silver Spring....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland